These spicy Buffalo Shrimp Lettuce Wrap Tacos are fast, flavorful, and ready to Taco Tuesday your face off! Each tasty taco is gluten-free, paleo-friendly, and keto friendly too. Woot!
Today I’m over the moon excited to share these rock-your-face-off Buffalo Shrimp Tacos.
I skipped the tortilla and lettuce wrapped these bad boys because a. that means I get to eat more of them and b. I love having gluten-free eats in my arsenal. With both boxes checked I got to work!
I legit had to make and photograph this recipe twice because I forgot to eat before starting the first shoot and ate 90% of the shrimp right out of the pan when they finished cooking.
Even the second time around I got dangerously close to eating the merchandise way before I was finished shooting. I cannot be trusted around this shrimp, y’all! SO GOOD!
I’m usually in the habit of making extras of whatever I’m cooking so that I can eat while I photograph. Of course I end up not only eating the food meant to tide me over while shooting, it also means I eat whatever the heck is in the photo afterwards. Lately I try to slice up some veggies to snack on while I’m taking the photos, thinking that will surely tide me over till I can put down my camera and commence faceplantage…
But have you ever tried eating slices of cucumber while stairing at a plate of luscious buffalo-sauced shrimp? It’s cruel and unusual punishment, I tell ya! I cannot be stopped.
special diets and swaps
- vegansaurus chefs: veganize this recipe with my tasty buffalo roasted chickpeas! The buffalo sauce can be made with vegan butter and hot sauce or you can use straight up hot sauce for an extra fiery kick!
- no lettuce? no problem! You can use flour or corn tortillas for this tasty taco recipe.
- paleo or whole30 swaps: simply use ghee in place of butter for and skip the optional ranch + you’re good to go!
You could even turn these baller buffalo shrimp into a big ole salad if you’d like! The possibilities are as delicious as they are endless. WOOT!
I went light on the butter in my buffalo sauce so I could cook my shrimp in a wee bit more butter because #TREATYOSELF2017 but you can 100% use as much or as little as you’d like for these buffalo shrimp lettuce wrap tacos. Paul likes to use butter and beer (some for him, some for the shrimpies) and I’m just like, seriously let me at that buttahhhh yo!
Vegan butter also works marvelous here (as does avocado oil or your favorite healthy oil) and if you go straight hot sauce for this recipe you’ll save calories and add fiiiiiiire! Totally adjust to taste but I hiiiiighly recommend the measurements in the recipe for maximum yum-factor.
Buffalo Shrimp Lettuce Wrap Tacos
These tasty tacos are ready to take Taco Night to the next level!
Make a few for a low-key dinner or double/triple the recipe to feed a crowd.
Buffalo Shrimp Lettuce Wrap Tacos
- 1 lb raw peeled + cleaned frozen shrimp (thawed)
- ⅓ cup Buffalo Sauce*
- 2 tsp oil or butter for sautéing
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- 6-12 leaves of romaine or Bibb lettuce leaves**
- shredded carrots
- chopped red bell pepper
- chopped or sliced jalapeño pepper
- pickled carrots or pickled jalapeños
- shredded cabbage or slaw
- chopped red onion
- chopped green onion
- fresh cilantro
- crushed red pepper flakes
- extra red hot sauce for drizzling
- Set defrosted shrimp in the fridge, covered, while you prep your tacos.
- Wash lettuce and chop your choice of veggies from the topping list.
- Heat a large pan or skillet to medium-high heat with 2 tsp of butter or oil (I used butter) and sauté your shrimp. Season with paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper. Cook on each side for about 2 minutes until shrimp curl and become opaque. The cook time will depend on the heat setting you choose and the size of your shrimp, but regardless they’ll be perfectly cooked in a matter of minutes.
- Add buffalo sauce to pan and mix to coat while the pan is still hot.
- Shrimp may be added to the tacos whole or chopped into bite-sized bits - both are great options!
- Pile the shrimp on your lettuce and top with your choice of tasty taco toppings. Have fun with it! Anything goes in love and tacos.
Can I eat this forever?
A serving of shrimp is usually 3-6 ounces or so and I’ve managed to eat 32 ounces in two days.
I’m not even remotely sorry. Worth it!
Looking for a little ranch action to round out your buffalo sauce faceplant? This Greek yogurt ranch goes great with these buffalo shrimp lettuce wrap tacos!
OPTIONAL GREEK YOGURT RANCH (skip for paleo or dairy-free)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 TBSP chopped scallions or chives
- 1 TBSP chopped fresh parsley
- 1/8 tsp dried dill (fresh works too!)
Directions: Heat minced garlic in a little bit of oil (you can do this on the stove or in the microwave) until hot. This infuses the oil with garlicky goodness and cuts the bite of the raw garlic. Whisk all ingredients together and set aside. Leftover ranch can be stored in the fridge (it even tastes better the next day!) and enjoyed the following 2-4 days. It’s fabulous drizzled on these Buffalo Shrimp Lettuce Wrap Tacos and great as a dip for veggies too!
Dude, what are you waiting for? Make these buffalo shrimp lettuce wrap tacos right meow! Then tag your photos #PEASandCRAYONS @PEASANDCRAYONS so I can see your creation. Can’t wait!