These spicy Buffalo Shrimp Lettuce Wrap Tacos are fast, flavorful, and ready to Taco Tuesday your face off! Each tasty taco is gluten-free, paleo-friendly, and keto friendly too. Woot!
Today I’m over the moon excited to share these rock-your-face-off Buffalo Shrimp Tacos.
I skipped the tortilla and lettuce wrapped these bad boys because a. that means I get to eat more of them and b. I love having gluten-free eats in my arsenal. With both boxes checked I got to work on creating the most amazing shrimp recipe for my friends (and partners) at Marina del Rey.
I legit had to make and photograph this recipe twice because I forgot to eat before starting the first shoot and ate 90% of the shrimp right out of the pan when they finished cooking.
Even the second time around I got dangerously close to eating the merchandise way before I was finished shooting. I cannot be trusted around this shrimp, y’all! SO GOOD!
I’m usually in the habit of making extras of whatever I’m cooking so that I can eat while I photograph. Of course I end up not only eating the food meant to tide me over while shooting, it also means I eat whatever the heck is in the photo afterwards. Lately I try to slice up some veggies to snack on while I’m taking the photos, thinking that will surely tide me over till I can put down my camera and commence faceplantage…
But have you ever tried eating slices of cucumber while stairing at a plate of luscious buffalo-sauced shrimp? It’s cruel and unusual punishment, I tell ya! I cannot be stopped.
I created this sassy shrimp dish in partnership with the awesome folks at Marina del Rey using their delicious wild-caught shrimp, and have quickly fallen in love with this company. I can pick up their shrimp (which is crazy affordable by the way at 15.98 for a 2 pound bag of JUMBO 16/29 shrimp) at my local Sam’s Club and since it’s already frozen, I have ample time to use and defrost it when I’m ready to get my shrimp on!
Their enviormentally responsible Argentinian shrimp are plump, tender, and naturally pink — great for everything from party-perfect shrimp cocktail to luscious shrimp scampi.
I seriously could not be more excited about this brand and they’ve basically just earned a customer for life because I am in LOVE with their shrimp!
I’m also crazy in love with these buffalo shrimp tacos!
Ready for the recipe? Let’s do this!
Buffalo Shrimp Lettuce Wrap Tacos
These tasty tacos are ready to take Taco Night to the next level! Make a few for a low-key dinner or double/triple the recipe to feed a crowd.
Buffalo Shrimp Lettuce Wrap Tacos
Yield 6 tacos
- 1 lb raw Marina del Rey peeled + cleaned frozen shrimp, thawed
- 1/3 cup Buffalo Sauce*
- 2 tsp of your favorite healthy cooking oil or butter for sautéing
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 6-12 leaves of romaine or Bibb lettuce leaves**
- choice of toppings from list below
- shredded carrots
- chopped red bell pepper
- chopped or sliced jalapeño pepper
- pickled carrots or pickled jalapeños
- shredded cabbage or slaw
- chopped red onion
- chopped green onion
- fresh cilantro
- crushed red pepper flakes
- extra red hot sauce for drizzling
* To make a Whole30 compliant buffalo sauce simply mix 1/4 cup of Frank's Red Hot sauce with 1-2 TBSP melted clarified butter and whisk well.
** I like to double up with two lettuce leaves per taco, though feel free to use singles if preferred! I used romaine lettuce but Bibb lettuce or butter lettuce cups work great too! You can also totally use flour or corn tortillas here if that's what you have handy - they're great every which way!
- Set defrosted shrimp in the fridge, covered, while you prep your tacos.
- Wash lettuce and chop your choice of veggies from the topping list.
- Heat a large pan or skillet to medium-high heat with 2 tsp of butter or oil (I used butter) and sauté your shrimp. Season with paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper. Cook on each side for about 2 minutes until shrimp curl and become opaque. The cook time will depend on the heat setting you choose and the size of your shrimp, but regardless they’ll be perfectly cooked in a matter of minutes.
- Add buffalo sauce to pan and mix to coat while the pan is still hot.
- Shrimp may be added to the tacos whole or chopped into bite-sized bits - both are great options!
- Pile the shrimp on your lettuce and top with your choice of tasty taco toppings. Have fun with it! Anything goes in love and tacos.
I used jumbo shrimp for this recipe (so amazing!) and also went with Marina del Rey's frozen Argentinian shrimp which has been cleaned, peeled, and prepped for easy use. Love it!
Paleo + Whole30 - Simply use clarified butter (or ghee) for your shrimp and buffalo sauce. Easy peasy!
Courses Main Course
Can I eat this forever?
Also, you should go stalk MDR on social media and tell them how much you love this recipe because I basically want to work with them forever. This sponsored recipe was a total blast to develop and oh so tasty too! You can find them on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Want to track down a bag to try? Easy peasy! They’re available at Sam’s Club location across the US in the freezer aisle.
A serving of shrimp is usually 3-6 ounces or so and I’ve managed to eat 32 ounces in two days. I’m not even remotely sorry. Worth it!
special diets and swaps
- vegansaurus chefs: veganize this recipe with my tasty buffalo roasted chickpeas! The buffalo sauce can be made with vegan butter and hot sauce or you can use straight up hot sauce for an extra fiery kick!
- no lettuce? no problem! You can use flour or corn tortillas for this tasty taco recipe.
- paleo or whole30 swaps: simply use ghee in place of butter for and skip the optional ranch + you’re good to go!
You could even turn these baller buffalo shrimp into a big ole salad if you’d like! The possibilities are as delicious as they are endless. WOOT!
I went light on the butter in my buffalo sauce so I could cook my shrimp in a wee bit more butter because #TREATYOSELF2017 but you can 100% use as much or as little as you’d like for these buffalo shrimp lettuce wrap tacos. Paul likes to use butter and beer (some for him, some for the shrimpies) and I’m just like, seriously let me at that buttahhhh yo!
Vegan butter also works marvelous here (as does avocado oil or your favorite healthy oil) and if you go straight hot sauce for this recipe you’ll save calories and add fiiiiiiire! Totally adjust to taste but I hiiiiighly recommend the measurements in the recipe for maximum yum-factor.
Looking for a little ranch action to round out your buffalo sauce faceplant?
OPTIONAL GREEK YOGURT RANCH (skip for paleo or dairy-free)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 TBSP chopped scallions or chives
- 1 TBSP chopped fresh parsley
- 1/8 tsp dried dill (fresh works too!)
Directions: Heat minced garlic in a little bit of oil (you can do this on the stove or in the microwave) until hot. This infuses the oil with garlicky goodness and cuts the bite of the raw garlic. Whisk all ingredients together and set aside. Leftover ranch can be stored in the fridge (it even tastes better the next day!) and enjoyed the following 2-4 days. It’s fabulous drizzled on these Buffalo Shrimp Lettuce Wrap Tacos and great as a dip for veggies too!
Dude, what are you waiting for? Make these buffalo shrimp lettuce wrap tacos right meow! Then tag your photos #PEASandCRAYONS @PEASANDCRAYONS so I can see your creation. Can’t wait!