These crazy delicious breakfast burritos are ready to ROCK your morning! With easy make-ahead instructions, you’ll be able to get your meal prep on and have breakfast sorted for the week. WOOT!
These baller breakfast burritos are part of our weekly meal-prep rotation. They’re basically all I think about when I wake up in the morning. Well, that and coffee!
I’m super excited to be celebrating September’s National Breakfast Month with my friends at Nellie’s Free Range Eggs. Ever since our local grocery store started carrying them, we’ve been buying their Certified Humane eggs for all our baking and breakfast needs. Nellie’s hens have plenty of access to the outdoors with no cages in sight, leading to delicious, nutritious, high-quality eggs.
So far we’ve whipped up an easy peasy Instant Pot Frittata Breakfast Casserole and the most amazing Mexican Breakfast Salad – helloooo delicious! Next up? These tasty make-ahead breakfast burritos, of course!
My husband and I team up to make a batch over the weekend so we have easy breakfasts for busy mornings. All we have to do is warm them up and dive in! If I’m feeling particularly peckish I’ll even pair one with a heaping slice of avocado toast and, of course, a mandatory cup of coffee!
what do you put in a breakfast burrito?
There are so many tasty options! The breakfast burritos below are loaded with fluffy scrambled eggs, cheddar cheese, sautéed peppers and onions and crispy baked tater tots.
We went for vegetarian fillings, but you could also add breakfast sausage, bacon, ham, black beans, pinto beans, or chorizo to your b-fast burritos if you’d like!
As for breakfast burrito toppings and sauces, we keep it simple! A little spicy red salsa and cool sour cream and I’m in burrito heaven! Other delicious options include fresh pico de gallo, guacamole, hot sauce, salsa verde, Greek yogurt, or queso.
Make-Ahead Breakfast Burritos
Only need a few? This recipe is easily halved to make 4 breakfast burritos instead of 8.
- 12 large eggs
- 1-2 TBSP olive oil or butter (or as needed)
- 1.5 bell peppers (1.5 cups diced)
- 1 medium yellow onion (1.5 cups diced)
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers
- 32 tater tots (cooked from frozen)
- 8 oz grated cheese: cheddar, gouda, Mexican blend
- 8 large "burrito-sized" flour tortillas
- 2 TBSP fresh chopped cilantro (optional)
- sour cream and salsa for dunking
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Prep your ingredients! Crack your eggs into a large bowl, chop your peppers and onion, and grate your cheese as needed.
- Arrange tots on a baking sheet and set timer to bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven once hot and crispy.
- The rest of your cooking can be done while you wait! Woot! Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat with a drizzle or so of oil or butter. Sauté peppers and onion until tender. Remove from pan and transfer to a large bowl.
- Return pan to heat and add a little more oil or butter to coat the pan. Whisk your bowl of eggs with salt and pepper, to taste. Add eggs to the greased pan and scramble until cooked through. I like to do mine over high heat in a stainless steel pan but if you're more comfortable with a different method for the eggs, go for it!
- Transfer eggs to the bowl with your veggies, mix 'em up, turn off your burner, and set pan aside.
- For easy burrito assembly I like to pop each tortilla in the microwave for 20 seconds to steam it before filling/rolling. It's much more pliable this way and they're easier to fold when warm! Warm your tortilla and arrange eggs, veggies, tots and cheese in the center of your tortilla, fold and roll until sealed. Place seam-side down and repeat for remaining tortillas.
- Ready to eat? Bring your pan to medium heat with a little oil to prevent sticking. Once the pan is hot, add the burritos, seam side down and cook for about 3 minutes each side or until burritos are hot in the center and golden on the outside! Serve with sour cream and salsa and dive in while they're hot!
- For Make-Ahead Burritos: Allow cooked burritos to cool completley. Wrap each burrito tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate in a sealed container. To reheat, preheat oven to 350 F. Remove the plastic, wrap individually in aluminum foil, and bake until warmed through, approx. 15 minutes.
If you get a chance to try these baller breakfast burritos, let me know! You can leave me a comment here (LOVE checking those daily!) or tag @PEASandCRAYONS on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creations. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!
This post is sponsored by Nellie’s Free Range Eggs as part of a tasty ongoing partnership. Stay tuned for more delicious breakfast, brunch, and brinner recipes!