Instant Pot Pumpkin Grits are ready to rock your breakfast! These easy cheesy grits are made in the pressure cooker and are SO easy to make! Stove-top instructions included as well.
It’s Fall in my kitchen and there is NO turning back!
The first cold and rainy day I could get my hands on, I set off to pumpkin-ify everything in sight. I’ll be sharing some of the goodies over the next few weeks (get excited!) and today I have an easy peasy recipe that can be made with either fresh or canned pumpkin.
In fact, you could easily make it with sweet potato, butternut squash, or acorn squash as well. They’re all pretty interchangeable and quite tasty!
Instant Pot Pumpkin Grits
This Fall spin on classic cheese grits yields the most deliciously vibrant results. Buttery grits are swirled with pumpkin and gouda, and (if you’re feeling adventurous) finished off with a little pinch of pumpkin pie spice on top. SO GOOD!
As the title suggests, I used my handy dandy Instant Pot to make these creamy, dreamy grits.
This is hands-down my favorite method for making grits lately!
It saves me time, effort (I do noooot have time to be stirring all morning), and clean-up is crazy easy too.
No pressure cooker? No problem!
You can 100% make these the old-fashioned stove top way. I’ll include the instructions at the bottom of this post!
Instant Pot Pumpkin Grits
- 1 + 1/2 TBSP oil or butter
- 1 cup old-fashioned grits (not quick/instant grits)
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 3 TBSP unsalted butter
- 2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup freshly grated Gouda cheese
- pumpkin pie spice to garnish (optional but delicious)
- Set Instant Pot to sauté function and heat oil/butter.
- Add grits and mix well, allowing grits to lightly toast until fragrant. Approx. 1-2 minutes while stirring/sautéing.
- Switch IP off and add water, cream, pumpkin, salt, and garlic powder. Set to 10 minutes on HIGH pressure and seal lid.
- Once the pot beeps, allow the pot to sit for 10-15 minutes to depressurize naturally. If lid is still pressurized after 15 minutes, flip the valve to quick release remaining pressure. Remove lid and stir well (it will look very liquid-y at first) then fold in cheese and season with any extra salt and garlic powder, to taste. Dig in!
- If you're a fan of sweet-yet-savory dishes, feel free to ty out my optional suggestion of adding a little sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice to your bowl of grits! It's quite tasty! I'll happily devour them both ways!
Need stove-top instructions? Use the ingredients from the recipe above (altering the amount of water only) and get cooking!
instructions for stove-top pumpkin grits
- In a medium pot, bring 2 cups water to a rolling boil and add grits.
- Stir vigorously, then reduce heat to low and cover.
- Allow grits to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the grits absorb the water, add heavy cream, pumpkin puree, salt, and garlic powder.
- Continue to cook on lowest setting for 5-10 minutes.
- Lastly, stir in cheese and serve piping hot!
If you get a chance to try these Instant Pot Pumpkin Grits, let me know! Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation!