Continuing on with yesterday’s barbecue ranch theme, I had to take the combo a little bit further. Inspired by a salad blend I scored while grocery shopping famished [when will I ever learn!?] this dish is light, healthy, and full of flavor! It makes a fantastic vegetarian lunch or a sassy side that will try to show up the main course at dinner. Hope you love it as much as I do!
On my first attempt, I took the easy way out: I found a bag of chopped veggie salad at the grocery store, fluffed up a pot of quinoa, and combined! Done! The downside? The salad blend I used is nearly impossible hunt down and I haven’t been able to find it again since. Ummm… Let’s try this again! Skip the bag, chop the vegetables, then measure out said veggies so everyone can partake in a bowl of confetti quinoa deliciousess. Actually screw that. It’s essentially a salad; we can skip measuring altogether if you’d like. Anything goes!
Have at it!
Confetti Quinoa Salad
Confetti Quinoa Salad with Barbecue Ranch
Yield 4 servings
- 1.5 cups dry quinoa
- 2 + 3/4 cups broth or water
- 1 cup bell pepper, diced [red/yellow/orange]
- 1/2-1 cup finely chopped cabbage [green/purple]
- 1-2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 1/2-1 cup finely chopped kale
- 2-3 stalks chopped green onion
- salt and pepper, to taste
- crunchy seasoned tortilla strips
- bbq ranch
- To make your own snazzy shaker of barbecue ranch, simply grab your favorite ranch dressing [or use this recipe] and mix 1 cup of ranch with 1/4 cup of your favorite smoky BBQ sauce. Taste, then add up to an additional 1/4 cup of b.sauce to the dressing. Want it super smoky? Add a little smoked paprika into the mix too! Done deal!
- First, rinse your quinoa. Always. Never skip this step.
- Bring a pot of water to boil with either 2 +3/4 cups water or broth.
- Add quinoa and reduce heat to simmer.
- Cover, leaving lid slightly ajar and cook for 12-14 minutes until fluffy perfection is reached.
- While your grains simmer, chop the veggies and pile them into a large bowl.
- Whisk together your dressing and set aside.
- Once the quinoa is good to go, mix it into the veggies because, duh, salad.
- Drizzle with dressing and top with tortilla strips!
so… how was it?! In a nut shell? It was the foodie highlight of my week! Now I know what you’re thinking: I thought it too! Why on earth would you put creamy, barbecue-y deliciousness on such a light and delicate salad? It’s too heavy! In theory this would be true. However inn actuality, its phenomenal. My friend Shauna and I stared long and hard at this one before we decided I needed to be the guinea pig and just take a bite already. I’m guessing I must have made a pretty dramatic “MmMmm!” sound because before I could blink she had the bowl in her face. Well played barbecue ranch. Well played. We salute you.
That was way too easy to call it a recipe, eh? Let’s dub this one salad-spiration, since you can essentially whip it up with any and all veggies in your crisper! Quinoa is delightful, and I hope you’ll give it a chance soon if you haven’t yet! To get you started, here are a few more quinoa-riffic recipes [yes, these are actual recipes this time! hehe] to get you started: