This fluffy confetti quinoa salad is loaded with fresh veggies and topped with corn chips for a crouton-esque crunch! Top it with a creamy homemade barbecue ranch for amazing flavor in every bite!
Continuing on with yesterday’s barbecue ranch theme, I had to take the combo a little bit further.
Inspired by a salad blend I scored while grocery shopping famished [when will I ever learn!?] this dish is light, healthy, and full of flavor! It makes a fantastic vegetarian lunch or a sassy side that will try to show up the main course at dinner. Hope you love it as much as I do!
On my first attempt, I took the easy way out: I found a bag of chopped veggie salad at the grocery store, fluffed up a pot of quinoa, and combined! Done! The downside? The salad blend I used is nearly impossible hunt down and I haven’t been able to find it again since. Ummm… Let’s try this again!
Skip the bag, chop the vegetables, then measure out said veggies so everyone can partake in a bowl of confetti quinoa deliciousess. Actually screw that. It’s essentially a salad; we can skip measuring altogether if you’d like. Anything goes!
Have at it!
Confetti Quinoa Salad
Let’s get our recipe on!
Confetti Quinoa Salad with Barbecue Ranch
- 1 cups dry quinoa
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 cup bell pepper, diced (any color)
- 1/2-1 cup finely chopped cabbage (any color)
- 1-2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 1/2-1 cup finely chopped kale
- 2-3 stalks chopped green onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- crunchy seasoned tortilla strips for topping; optional
- 1/2 cup barbecue ranch dressing
- First, rinse your quinoa. Always. Never skip this step.
- Bring a pot of water to boil with either 2 +3/4 cups water or broth.
- Add quinoa and reduce heat to simmer.
- Cover, leaving lid slightly ajar and cook for 12-14 minutes until fluffy perfection is reached.
- While your grains simmer, chop the veggies and pile them into a large bowl.
- Whisk together your dressing and set aside.
- Once the quinoa is good to go, mix it into the veggies because, duh, salad.
- Drizzle with dressing and top with tortilla strips!
so… how was it?!
SO GOOD! Now I know what you’re thinking: I thought it too! Why on earth would you put creamy, barbecue-y deliciousness on such a light and delicate salad? It’s too heavy! In theory this would be true. However inn actuality, its phenomenal.
My friend Shauna and I stared long and hard at this one before we decided I needed to be the guinea pig and just take a bite already.
I’m guessing I must have made a pretty dramatic “MmMmm!” sound because before I could blink she had the bowl in her face. Well played barbecue ranch. Well played. We salute you.
That was way too easy to call it a recipe, eh? Let’s dub this one salad-spiration, since you can essentially whip it up with any and all veggies in your crisper! Quinoa is delightful, and I hope you’ll give it a chance soon if you haven’t yet!
The fact that it’s called Confetti and you colour coordinated it? You deserve a (confetti) crown.
Mmm, I love BBQ and ranch – I’ve done some quinoa BBQ before but this recipe looks much easier and yummier! Thanks so much!
that looks perfect for summer!!
Love the colors in this salad. And love the addition of tortillas. Can’t go wrong with that topping!
I love how versatile quinoa is. I love it with lots of greens – broccoli, peas, green beans, kale etc.
Yum!! I love making quinoa salads. I’ve been mixing it in with my greens lately. Delish!
Quinoa is my absolute fav grain. Whenever I make a quinoa salad for the potluck, I get requests for the recipe but it’s such a catchall, no two times is it the same.
sounds delicious! especially the little crunchies on top! xo jillian – cornflake dreams
I love adding bbq sauce to dishes like this! So yum.