This easy vegetarian Southwest Kale Salad is topped with a zesty BBQ Ranch dressing ready to rock your plate!
I wanted to simply things and simply title it BBQ Kale Salad but it gave me this weird mental image of barbecue sauce slathered on grilled kale leaves.
I know, SO the opposite of what this salad is.
This salad is light and crisp and nutrition packed, delivering a punch of smoky-sweet barbecue flavor that is positively addictive when paired with the homemade ranch dressing and fresh veggies. It’s a party on a plate and a tasty bite of Summer.
Yes it’s still Summer, people. Put down the pumpkin!
Just kidding, I’ve totally already embraced the pumpkin too buuuuuut this weather still calls for some celebratory salads, mmkay?
While this pairing might seem a little cuckoo for cocoa puffs, let me tell you, it’s one of those shout-it-from-the-rooftops sort of flavor pairings that I absolutely can’t get enough of.
I stuffed face.
Then I ran over to the neighbor’s to tell them they HAD TO TRY THIS STAT!
The next line of action, of course, is to tell you the same. Make this. Yes with the kale. Yes with the pecans. Yes with ALL THOSE VEGGIES.
Southwest Kale Salad
Measurements for salad recipes are always super awkward. What one person deems a side salad another may view as a lunch-sized salad and while one person may want more greens, the next wants a veggie party on their plate.
To make things easy on us all, take the salad measurements below with a grain of salt, and make as much as you need! The recipe as written makes what I would consider enough for 2-4 side salads, depending on how much leafy green goodness you tend to put down. Enjoy!
Southwest Kale Salad
FOR THE SALAD:
BBQ Ranch Dressing
- combine equal parts of your favorite smoky sweet BBQ sauce with homemade or store bought ranch dressing + adjust to taste
- Wash and remove the center stalk/rib from the kale leaves, tearing each leaf into bite-sized pieces as you go.
- Drizzle with olive oil and massage to soften/tenderize the kale leaves. My toddler loves to do this step for me and I love the silky texture and taste of massaged kale.
- Top with veggies from list above and whisk together dressing. Drizzle over salad and enjoy!
crazy for kale recipes?
- NEW! Kale Apple Cranberry Salad with Quinoa
- Roasted Garlic Kale Pesto and Veggie Pasta
- Pesto Penne with Roasted Butternut Squash and Kale
- Kale Tacos via Happy Veggie Kitchen
- Chopped Greek Kale Salad
- Kale Taco Salad with crispy roasted chickpeas
If you get a chance to try this southwest kale salad recipe, let me know! Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!