This lean, green, strawberry kale salad is just what you need to beat the heat this summer. Quick, easy, and downright delicious, this superfood salad is loaded with nutrients!
Mornin’ darlings! I’ll cut right to the chase: today we’re gonna eat kale.
Wait… don’t run!
Normally I’d be a bit self conscious about my gratuitous use of kale in this salad and tell you to feel free to substitute it for spinach or romaine as needed, but I’m not going to do that today.
Leave the iceberg, take the kale.
Today we’re eating our kale and loving it too! Seriously!
I know, I know. Kale has a bad SUCH a bad rap. I, however, think it’s marvelous. It’s all in the prep work! Gentle massaging with a teeny bit of olive oil and a pinch of salt transforms this once-intimidating roughage into a silky, tender, and overall fabulous salad green.
I can prep a head of kale quickly over the weekend and know that I’ll have a big ole bag full to add to my salads all week long. It outlasts all other lettuce. Where iceberg, romaine, and even my beloved spinach will wilt and/or brown, kale has my back.
Not only does this green have staying power, it also is the ideal green for my lunches. Hurricane chickpea breezes through the house to the beat of her own drum [love that crazy kiddo!] and I rarely get to finish my lunch in a sitting. While other salads would be a soggy sad mess when I finally revisit them hours later, my plate-o-kale is still as delicious as before. It gently cradles your favorite dressings instead of soaking them up and gosh darn it, I’m going to have to insist you try it.
Strawberry Kale Salad
:: pin it ::
Strawberry Kale Salad
This lean, green, strawberry kale salad is just what you need to beat the heat this summer. Quick, easy, and downright delicious, this superfood salad is loaded with nutrients! Recipe makes 2 side salads or one jumbo salad!
- 1/3-1/2 bunch of kale [2-4 cups chopped]
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- 1 cup candied walnuts [recipe]
- strawberry infused balsamic, to taste
- 10 asparagus spears, blanched + chopped
- The above measurements will get ya started, but feel free to add extra fruit, veggies, nuts or cheese if you'd like! This salad will easily feed one, two, or even a crowd! Have fun with it!
- After washing and drying your kale, remove the ribs/stem from each kale leaf.
- Tear or chop the kale into bite-sized pieces.
- Pour a little olive oil in your hands and work your way through the kale, massaging the leaves until they darken in color and tenderize.
- Finish it off with a pinch of salt and combine with strawberries, candied walnuts, and asparagus.
- Drizzle with strawberry-infused balsamic vinegar or your favorite fruity balsamic.
- Top with feta and dig in!
Recipe inspired by Hummusapien.
After thinking about Alexis’s gorgeous Strawberry Coconut Kale Salad non-stop, I decided to put my own spin on the yummy combo. Obvi you need to make both!
Worried about the lonely leftover kale from the bunch? Fret not! You can make this salad multiple times (it’s that good!) or try a few new kale salad combos! I always massage the entire bunch of kale and keep it in a baggie in the fridge for quick and easy salads all week long.
I also love stirring it into pasta (this recipe rocks!) and crisping it into chips. Totally a token food blogger thing to do but they’re so gosh darn addictive that I embrace the stereotype with open arms.
but really . . . how was it?!
Amazing! Strawberry salads are uber popular here in the South but this one is hands-down my favorite! Lightly sweet and chock full of nutrients… I just love it! There’s something magical about the combination of juicy ripe strawberries and berry infused balsamic with sweet, crunchy, candied walnuts, creamy feta, and HOW ABOUT THAT KALE!? Strawberry kale salad for president.