Triple-Bean Veggie Burgers

Sometimes it feels like I’ve been blogging long before blogging was even cool [I haven't, I'm just channeling my inner hipster at the moment].  So why on earth have I waited this long to post a recipe for veggie burgers?!?  Gah!  I’m impossible.  I’m also impossibly in love with these burgers!  See what I did there?  Yeahhhh I’ll go sit in the corner now while you prep your kitchen.  You guys seriously need to stop letting me get away with this level of cheesiness ;)

Triple-Bean Veggie Burgers

[makes 8 jumbo veggie burgers -- some to nosh now, and some to freeze for later!]

what’s in it?
1 can of black beans [15oz] or whip some up in the crockpot!
1 can of chickpeas [15oz]
4 Tablespoons of your favorite healthy oil
1 teaspoon italian seasoning blend [I love this one]
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper, parsley, and red pepper flakes, to taste

inspired by Guy Fieri

Brontosaurus Chefs veganize by subbing 2-3 flax eggs [recipe]
T-Rex Chefs put down the meat + make some damn veggie burgers!  Please?

Note: These burgers set best when they have 30 minutes of chill time in the fridge prior to cooking.  Feel free to prep them the night before!

get cooking!

Drain and rinse beans, then set aside.  Next saute celery, onion, and red pepper in approx 4 Tablespoons of oil with a few cranks of freshly ground black pepper and a sprinkle or two of red pepper flakes.  After about 7 minutes or so, add garlic and continue to saute until the veggies are translucent and tender.  Transfer to a large bowl and add the beans, flax, oats, and quinoa.

The oat/quinoa ratio can vary depending on what you have on hand [think of these burgers as a great way to empty your fridge and pantry!].  I try to always have a bowl of cooked quinoa in my fridge so I can make super speedy batches of quinoa fried rice during the week.  If you’re new to cooking with quinoa, click here for a few tips, tricks, and cooking instructions.

Add the rest of your ingredients and mix.  Feel free to use a large spoon or potato masher to somewhat smush everything together.  Once incorporated, it will start to look like edible confetti!  You can transfer this mixture to a food processor for a more uniform veggie burger or leave the beans whole for a super chunky veggie burger that will crumble easily on salads and such.  I like them chunky so I’ve actually never pureed them in any of the batches that I’ve made.  They whole beans give the burgers a meaty texture that makes me feel like I’m eating a traditional burger.  Only they’re healthier… and more flavorful… and yes, just plain awesome this way.

First form the bowl-of-yumminess into balls. I can’t quite say this without making it sound borderline inappropriate, but cup each ball in your hands and squeeze tightly, rotating as you gently but firmly press it into a disc. Think of it as stress-relief! Form into 8 patties, cover, and refrigerate 30 minutes.  Feel free to prep these overnight for the following day! I typically make one burger right away and then leave the remainder in the fridge overnight. The following day I cook up the rest of the burgers and split the batch between the fridge and freezer. To freeze, simply cook the burgers, allow to cool a bit, and then freeze [spaced] on a plate or cookie sheet. Once they’ve had a chance to partially freeze you can pile them in baggies or your favorite airtight container. Viola!  Fast food without the freaky ingredients.

Ready to eat?  Pour a teeny bit of oil in a skillet, heat to high, and cook for a few minutes on each side until you’re left with a golden crust.  Wrap any burgers that you don’t plan on stuffing your face with immediately in foil, saran wrap, or an air tight container and pop in the fridge or freezer for a quick meal.  To re-heat, simply pop on a baking sheet in the oven for about 20 minutes at 400F.

You get bonus points if you serve them up with a pile of veggies

Though I won’t fault you for grabbing a bun and going the traditional route =)

I mean, why do you think I made so many?  I clearly needed to have enough for and even number of burgers and salads!  I’m an equal opportunist eater.  Or the veggie burgers are just THAT good.  [They're that good.  Make them.]
update: here’s a printer-friendly version!
Triple-Bean Veggie Burgers

• 4 Tablespoons of your favorite healthy oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt-free Italian seasoning blend [like mrs. dash]
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • ½ teaspoon kosher salt
  • freshly ground black pepper, parsley, and red pepper flakes, to taste

• recipes yields 8 delicious veggie burgers; some to scarf now and a few to freeze for later!
Instructions
  1. Drain and rinse beans, then set aside.
  2. Next saute celery, onion, and red pepper in approx 4 Tablespoons of oil with a few cranks of freshly ground black pepper and a sprinkle or two of red pepper flakes.
  3. After about 7 minutes or so, add garlic and continue to saute until the veggies are translucent and tender.
  4. Transfer to a large bowl and add the beans, flax, oats, and quinoa.
  5. The oat/quinoa ratio can vary depending on what you have on hand [think of these burgers as a great way to empty your fridge and pantry!]. I try to always have a bowl of cooked quinoa in my fridge so I can make super speedy batches of quinoa fried rice during the week..
  6. Add the rest of your ingredients and mix.
  7. Feel free to use a large spoon or potato masher to somewhat smush everything together. Once incorporated, it will start to look like edible confetti!
  8. You can transfer this mixture to a food processor for a more uniform veggie burger or leave the beans whole for a super chunky veggie burger that will crumble easily on salads and such. I like them chunky so I've actually never pureed them in any of the batches that I've made. They whole beans give the burgers a meaty texture that makes me feel like I'm eating a traditional burger. Only they're healthier... and more flavorful... and yes, just plain awesome this way.
  9. First form the bowl-of-yumminess into balls.
  10. I can't quite say this without making it sound borderline inappropriate, but cup each ball in your hands and squeeze tightly, rotating as you gently but firmly press it into a disc. Think of it as stress-relief!
  11. Form into 8 patties, cover, and refrigerate 30 minutes.
  12. Feel free to prep these overnight for the following day! I typically make one burger right away and then leave the remainder in the fridge overnight. The following day I cook up the rest of the burgers and split the batch between the fridge and freezer. To freeze, simply cook the burgers, allow to cool a bit, and then freeze [spaced] on a plate or cookie sheet. Once they've had a chance to partially freeze you can pile them in baggies or your favorite airtight container. Viola! Fast food without the freaky ingredients.
  13. Ready to eat? Pour a teeny bit of oil in a skillet, heat to high, and cook for a few minutes on each side until you're left with a golden crust. Wrap any burgers that you don't plan on stuffing your face with immediately in foil, saran wrap, or an air tight container and pop in the fridge or freezer for a quick meal. To re-heat, simply pop on a baking sheet in the oven for about 20 minutes at 400F.
Oh and you should totally use a leftover burger [or two!] to make these yummy
Seriously. What are you waiting for? =)

Comments

I don’t know if I ever told you this, but I went through a phase in college where I ate a veggie burger every night for over a month in college. Yep, and I’m not even a vegetarian.

I have to say though, these look WAYYY better than the frozen patties I bought at the grocery store. Now, I just need to find time in my day to grocery shop and cook. Eh who am I kidding, I’d rather watch Real Housewives. Can you just come over?

CarissaExplainsItAll

2. Cassandra Tan says

A: you know I’m making this. B: you know when I started blogging? 2006. Before that, I had a gurlpage and a poetry page. Maybe I AM a hipster…..shudder.

3. Amy B @ Second City Randomness says

I love putting black beans in burgers to cut the fat a little. However, my current roomie has a massive distaste for beans (texture thing). Sadness.

4. Laurajflan says

Wow 3 beans, veggies, quinoa, and oats in one burger? Sounds perfect!  One question though I do not like celerly is there anything I can replace it with?

You can add green peppers! Or just nix the celery and add a little extra quinoa or red peppers — it’s a super flexible recipe! The one thing I try to keep constant is the level of moisture [the olive oil and eggs] and the stovetop prep b/c they kept he burgers SUPER moist while most other veggie burgers i’ve tried were dry and bland. I hope this helps! Let me know if you make them!!! =) xoooo

ahhh I need to clairfy that in the recipe! Thanks Laura!!! The additional ground flax in the recipe acts like breadcrumbs would in a typical burger recipe. The flax eggs would be separate if you were going to make them and use instead of eggs. I typically just use the eggs b/c I always need the extra protein.

two flax eggs will require 2 Tbsp flax to 6 Tbsp of water and then you’ll just want to leave them in the fridge for 30-60 minutes to get all “eggy” =) otherwise just use eggs

I’ve actually never made my own veggie burgers before (even though I really like them), but I love the ingredients in this recipe!  I’m also all for making a huge batch to freeze for meals later on :)

These look and sound delish! I usually buy my veggie burgers from the store, or order them out at restaurants all the time, but I’ve actually never tried making my own. This sounds like a great place to start-love how hearty they look!

Love me a veggie burger- traditional style…but on the salad…mmm that looks like a nice alternative. I can also imagine these a la Mexi-style such as in a quesadilla or taco. Yumito!

10. Lindsay @ Fuel My Family says

All bean burgers ive tried are either too dry or mushy and don’t stay together. I jsut bought a bunch of beans today so i may try these this week, thanks!

These were the exact opposite of dry =) Sooooo good! If you don’t mash/puree the beans these will semi-fall apart [not until they're on the bun and in your face though, they stay together through the cooking process!] so if you serve the burgers with a side salad you can just eat all the pieces that fall out of your sandwich in the salad! Or puree them =) Whatev you like best! <3

12. Laura says

I’m going to be making them with yellow pepper for the celery! Looking forward to the deliciousness!

Oh my these look fantastic! I’ve only tried 2 veggie burger recipes in my life that have actually held together and worked out taste-wise. Most end up not being moist enough, but yours look great in that regard! Will definitely have to try them!

These are absolutely moist and the flavor is amazing! Granted if you leave all the beans 100% whole they will fall apart in the bun BUT… its like eating a taco. Fabulously messy and worth every bite =)

15. Tatiana says

I made those burger (or kind of because I did not have all the ingredients, so I substituted) and they were good!
    No food processor at my mum’s place (vacation :) ), so I used my hand so mix everything and get some kind of a paste.
    I can’t wait to try those at home.

Yay! Thanks Tatiana! I hand mixed mine too (with a little “gentle” mashing from a large wooden spoon!) and I loved the texture of them that way!!! I’ll probably never end up using a food processor — one less thing to clean! Whoohoo!

True story – after I ate all of these I moved on to the store bought ones in my freezer that needed to be used up… and I HATED the store bought ones that I previously loved. Mine ruined store-bought veg burgers forever. Which is awesome… but now I have to make enough to keep my freezer stocked at all times =) haha

18. Healthygirlgamer says

I made these this weekend and they are delicious! The son and hubs both liked them, however; the hubs has asked next time I use the food processor instead of my hands. LOL. Thanks for such a great recipe.

19. Sandidance says

Soooo… somewhere in the directions, it mentions garlic, but I don’t see garlic on the ingredient list. Knowing me, I would just toss a few cloves cause I love me some garlic, but just wondering how much you usually do or would recommend? I can’t wait to make these on Monday!!

Hey Sandi!!! I am such a goober I need to update the post! So glad you caught my good! I’m just like you and winging with a few cloves. I added two onto this particular batch :) hope you love them!!! They are one of my absolute favorites!

Xoxox
    Jenn

21. Janelle Johnson says

This looks amazing..I’m going to try these out! Only thing is, any substitute for the cannellini beans?

22. Christine says

can i sub some breadcrumbs or panko for the rolled oats? in the last veggie burger recipe i made that used them I did not enjoy the chewy texture they gave the burger :(

23. 'Stine says

These look absolutely amazing! I am going to make them tonight – can’t wait. I’ve long been anguished and dismayed by frozen veggie burgers, too, and many of the recipes I’ve found online look either ho-hum or too dry. These are so colorful!

(Your whole bog is very entertaining, btb :) Have you ever checked out Thug Kitchen? You might get a kick out of them. I’m always excited to see the shift away from prissy food and craft blogs toward bloggers with real personalities – and in that way your blog reminds me of TK. I especially like you dinosaur dining options.)

Thank you!!! And HOLY CRAP HOW HAVE I NOT READ THIS BLOG!? I just added TK to my feed. Love it! I have the foulest mouth and tone it down a bit for blog posts, but they may have me convinced that flying my potty mouth flag everyso often isn’t the end of the world ;) Haha! You’ve GOT to try these burgers! Pan fry them and they wont even be the teeniest bit dry — The texture is amazing and so much better than store bought VB, I was so underwelmed with all the ones I tried I just started making every type I could imagine. The Veg Chili Bean Burger on here is to die for too. Let me know if you make any of them! xo

25. 'Stine says

These are sooooooooooooooooooooo good! Thank you so, so much for this recipe!! Delish delish! (I was also really surprised how big they are, when they yield 8 balls.)

I’m a US transplant living in Ireland and these are super with melted Dubliner Cheese and avocado. Granted, so is everything, but that whole burger made my night. And I’m glad you like TK :D Gotta spread the F&”£$%^ food love.