This vegan paleo Whole30 Carrot Slaw is quick, easy, and full of flavor! Mayo-free with no sweeteners added, it’s a light and healthy option and great with everything!
So Whole30 approved coleslaw… I could not for the life of me find one I wanted to try.
I Googled. I Pinterested. I Cookbooked.
I butchered the English language creating verbs out of nouns.
Zilch. Zero. Nada.Nothing jumped out at me.
Clearly it was time to take matters into my own hands. I wanted something vinegar based that wasn’t too tart. Something with a kiss of sweetness without any actual sweetener. Something flavorful and interesting while still being quick and easy to make… Quite a few expectations, eh?
Carrot slaw to the rescue!
Good things always happen when you start with three cups of shredded carrot.
Whole30 Carrot Slaw
This sassy slaw pairs crunchy carrots, cabbage, and radish with a hearty sprinkling of green onion and the most addictive dressing rich in tasty ginger and citrus notes. Tangy with a kiss of natural sweetness, the dressing is KEY for a good slaw and I knew at first sniff I was going to adore this one! SO GOOD!
Whole30 Carrot Slaw
Yield 6-8 servings
This vegan + paleo Whole30 Carrot Slaw is quick, easy, and full of flavor! Mayo-free with no sweeteners added, it's a light and healthy option and great with everything! Enjoy as a topping for your favorite protein or as a tasty low-carb side dish!
- 2 TBSP avocado oil
- 2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger paste (or try fresh!)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 1-2 cups shredded cabbage
- 3-4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 3-4 TBSP chopped green onion
- sesame seeds for topping
- Whisk together oil, vinegar, lime juice, ginger paste, salt, and pepper or place the ingredients in a mason jar and shake well. If desired, a clove of garlic may be minced and added to the dressing too!
- Combine carrots, radish, and green onion. Give your dressing another whisk/shake and toss veggies with half the dressing using salad tongs or massage dressing into slaw with clean hands.
- Top with toasted sesame seeds and add remaining dressing, to taste.
ADJUSTMENTS + EXTRAS:
- An additional spoonful of oil can be added later if desired.
- Crazy for ginger? Add the suggested amount above then feel free to add a little extra, tasting as you go.
- Want an extra kiss of sweetness? Honey, agave, or maple syrup may be added to the dressing if desired and not doing whole-30/keto
This easy peasy slaw can be made in advance and enjoyed all week long. You have two options based on crunch preference. 1. Keep the chopped veggies in a sealed baggie with the dressing stored in a lidded mason jar. Shake, drizzle, and faceplant as desired all week long. 2. If you don’t mind a softened, more tender slaw, feel free to combine the dressing with the veggies and store tightly wrapped in the fridge for up to four days.
This flavorful slaw pairs fantastically with your favorite protein (steak, chicken, salmon, tofu) and, if you’re as taco crazy as I am, goes great with these asian-style shrimp tacos.
If you’re not doing whole30 and want to add an extra kiss of sweetness to this slaw, feel free to use a drizzle of honey, agave, or even a little pure maple syrup to round out the dressing. I’ve made mine without any sweetness and with honey and love it both ways. I think straight up might even be my favorite though!