This Slow Cooker Sweet Potato and Cauliflower Soup is positively delicious and so easy to make. Get ready for creamy cauliflower soup like you’ve never had it before!
Hello stranger! Miss me!?
I’m mostly settled in the new house and gearing up for Fall by stocking our freezer with all kinds of deliciously sketch-free “fast foods” for a chilly day. I kicked off project FREEZE ALL THE THINGS!!! with a giant pot of my go-to tortilla soup and a second crock-pot filled with my new favorite food group, Sweet Potato and Cauliflower Soup!
While it may not technically be it’s own food group, it should be! It’s easily one of the most delicious days to get your daily allotment of the most important food group there ever was, VEGGIES! Oh come on, you totally saw that coming.
Much like the chickpea, my wild and crazy toddler who has recently been trading her afternoon nap for an epic dance party, this soup practically danced its way into my face. Cauliflower! Sweet Potatoes! Onion! I had a surplus of all three since I had sent Paul to the grocery store the day prior. Usually I do the grocery shopping [I’m one of those weirdos who LOVES grocery shopping!] but since I was on a roll with unpacking, I asked Paul to help stock the pantry and “buy whatever.” I half-expected to be greeted with a zillion bags of jalapeño potato chips and a few boxes of cookies for good measure. He once came home with 5 pounds of peanut M+Ms because he didn’t know he needed it until he saw it.
I didn’t hate it.
To my delight, my knight in shining armor [or stud in a dirty flight suit] brought home four bags of fresh produce. Holy veggies, Batman! My hero! Though the real hero of this story is Katie for inspiring this recipe. Totally check out her blog when you have a chance, she’s beyond awesome!
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato and Cauliflower Soup
This soup is so faceplantingly delicious, I can’t get enough! It was great the first day and even better the next! And the next! I tucked the remainder of the soup into the freezer for a rainy day, but already want to dive in after it.
Needless to say, I’ll be making more super soon.
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato and Cauliflower Soup
- 2 lbs fresh cauliflower (roughly chopped)
- 2 lbs sweet potato (peeled and cubed)
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 large onion (roughly chopped)
- 5 cloves garlic
- 4 stalks of green onion (chopped)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2-1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 2 cups milk
- 2 oz cream cheese
TASTY TOPPING OPTIONS:
- crumbled bacon
- chopped green onions
- freshly grated or shredded cheese
- homemade croutons or garlic bread
- crushed red pepper flakes for a kick
- hot sauce for even more kick!
- salt and pepper to taste
- Set your 5 or 6 quart slow cooker to high and add cauliflower, sweet potato, veggie broth, onion, garlic, green onion, thyme, paprika, red pepper flakes, and salt.
- NOTE: If the broth you're using is on the saltier side, feel free to skip the salt and simply add it in later, to taste. Same goes for the red pepper flakes - if you want a super mild soup you can always sneak some in later. I added a teaspoon of RPF to mine and it gave the soup a delightful little zing.
- Cover and cook for 4-5 hours on high.
- Once the veggies are fabulously tender, turn off the crock-pot and add your milk and cream cheese. Blend using an immersion blender [my favorite space-saving appliance ever!] and you're good to go!
- Ladle soup into bowls and enjoy right away with a mountain of your favorite toppings, then store the remaining soup in your fridge or freezer. As written, the recipe will yield around 4 quarts of soup which equates to 16 eight-ounce cups or 8 hearty bowls. It tastes great the first day and even better the next!
- This soup will keep for 4-5 days in the refrigerator and freeze marvelously for 2-3 months! Simply store the soup sans-toppings and add all your goodies upon reheating. Easy peasy!
special diets and swaps
- t-rex chefs: feel free to use chicken broth if you prefer and go nuts with the bacon – SWOON!
- brontosaurus chefs: skip the bacon topping entirely or grab some veggie-friendly bacon bits or tempeh bacon for a delish smoky crumble on top!
I’ve had this soup every which way and think it’s absolutely marvelous however you top it! Paul likes the bacon/cheddar/chive combo best and I’m a sucker for a simple sprinkling of cheese and chopped green onion. You can even spice things up a bit by topping the soup with red pepper flakes or a drizzle of your favorite hot sauce; have fun with it!
I hope your family loves this Slow Cooker Sweet Potato and Cauliflower Soup as much as mine does! Enjoy!
Have a little extra time on your hands? (I’m jealous; come wash my dishes!) Feel free to amp up the flavors of this soup even further by oven roasting your veggies first. Simply give them a rough chop and drizzle with olive oil or butter and pop them on a lipped baking pan for 30 minutes or so at 400 degrees F. Set a timer and walk away. Preferably in the direction of my sink.
I wasn’t kidding about those dishes!
In all seriousness, you need this soup. This soup needs you. The universe is basically demanding that you both be together. Give in… and enjoy!