Sausage, Pepper, and Onion Soup: Everything you love about the classic dish remixed into a positively DELICIOUS soup! Less mess; more yum!
I thought I was seriously living on the edge when I turned my favorite Italian Sausage Pepper and Onion hoagie into the cheesiest of grilled cheeses.
You guys remember that one right? It was a beast! Ever since that sandwich, I’ve been a sausage, pepper, and onion fiend.
Now you’re going to need a straight-jacket to pry me away from this flavor combo.
Continuing along with my penchant for turning comfort food classics into slurpable soups, I give you the most amazing sausage, pepper, and onion soup.
I wish you all could smell how amazing my house smells right now. The aromatics off this pot are EPIC and so is the in-your-face flavor of this dish!
I took my go-to soup base [a combination of veggie broth and fire-roasted crushed tomatoes] and added delicious partially-caramelized onion, an array of tasty bell peppers, and the perfect amount of oomph from my favorite, local, hot Italian sausage.
Toss in a little smashed garlic, a pinch of red pepper flakes, and OMGWHYAREYOUNOTMAKINGTHISRIGHTNOW!?
It’s because I’m still talking, isn’t it? I’ll shut up now.
Sausage Pepper and Onion Soup
Serve this soup as is, or pair it with a hot and melty grilled cheese sandwich or some fresh crusty baguette.
Sausage, Pepper, and Onion Soup
- 3-5 large links hot Italian sausage
- 1.5 yellow onions sliced or diced
- 1 large green bell pepper diced
- ¾ large red bell pepper diced
- ¾ large orange or yellow bell pepper diced
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (smashed and minced)
- 3.5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- homemade croutons seasoned with olive oil garlic powder, salt and pepper
- freshly grated mozzarella and/or pepper jack cheese
- fresh chopped parsley
- Add the croutons, the cheese, or both! The soup is also phenomenal all on it’s own! This recipe is both paleo and gluten-free sans toppings.
- Before you begin: You’ll be able to belt out your prep-work while your sausage cooks and your onions start to caramelize away. Once you pile everything together, you’ll then have enough time to let it simmer on the stove, allowing all the awesome flavors to meld and intensify. A little multi-tasking goes a long way!
- First decide how you’d like your onions! Sliced onions will give the soup a French Onion Soup-esque feel to it while diced onions will be uniform with your peppers and a bit easier to fit on the spoon. I went with sliced, both will work fantastically.
- Bring a large pot to medium heat with 2 TBSP of olive oil and add your onions. Stir to coat and reduce heat to medium-low. Stir often.
- While your onions are cooking, chop your peppers, mince the garlic and prep the remainder of your ingredients.
- Cook sausage via your favorite method.
- I boil mine for about 20 minutes while the onions get all gorgeous and golden.
- Keep stirring your onions to prevent sticking/burning. Once they start to semi-caramelize and take on a golden hue, add your bell peppers, garlic, salt, and black pepper, then allow them to simmer away until the peppers are tender.
- Once they’ve softened, add the vegetable broth, crushed tomatoes, and sliced sausage [which should be done by now!] and reduce heat so the soup is gently bubbling/simmering.
- Prep you toppings while the soup simmers and the flavors deepen.
- Give it a taste, and if you’d like a little burst of heat to the soup, add the red pepper flakes. They’re not essential but I LOVE the kick!
- Serve piping hot with your choice of extras + toppings and dig in!
If you get a chance to try this sausage pepper and onion soup recipe, let me know!
Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!