Easy Roasted Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup with garlic bread croutons: this velvety vegetarian soup is full of flavor and so easy to make!
I must have a thing for sweet and savory soups, because I have not been able to cool it on the sweet potatoes lately! A little cinnamon here… a dash of sriracha there… add some crunchy, garlicky whole grain croutons and a hearty serving of roasted veggies and I’m good to go.
This soup is PHENOMENAL. Simple ingredients. Big flavor. I’m so excited for y’all to try it!
Roasted Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup
In a nutshell, this roasted carrot sweet potato soup is uber flavorful, rich, velvety, and totally bowl-licking good! It’s the perfect ratio of slightly sweet to super savory that absolutely has me hooked! Feel free to double or even triple the recipe if you’re feeding a crowd!
Though it serves two, I may or may not have polished off the entire batch by myself in a single afternoon…
I’m LOVING this Silky Sweet Potato Soup!
The crunchy, buttery little garlic bread croutons started out as a last minute attempt at a garnish. My default topping for soup is usually a mountain of cheese (case in point) and I was determined to try something new!
I snagged the first few things that came to mind: a few slices of rustic whole grain bread and a jar of toasted sesame seeds. Plus butter, garlic, and a sprinkle of cinnamon for good measure… swoon! Before I knew it I had pure soup-topping gold on my hands. Echoing the flavors of the soup in the garnish proved to be the best decision ever.
To say I licked the bowl clean would be a total understatement.
Ohmygosh and if you don’t mind a little heat, please for the love of all things sweet potato try some Sriracha on top of the soup. It adds another level of flavor that’ll make your taste buds dance like Napoleon Dynamite. It’s amazing!
Roasted Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup
GARLIC BREAD CROUTONS
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 TBSP butter
- 1/8-1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- a sprinkle of ground cinnamon
- fresh chopped parsley
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Peel and chop you veggies, drizzle with EVOO, and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Roast on a lined baking sheet on the center rack for 30-40 minutes.
- Bring a medium pot to medium-low heat and melt your butter.
- Next add the flour, slowly, whisking into the butter to form a roux. Stir constantly while the roux thickens, then slowly whisk in your veggie broth.
- Add your roasted veggies and season with 1/8 tsp cinnamon and 1/8 tsp salt, adjusting amounts to taste as needed. You can also thin the broth to your idea of perfect consistency using a little extra broth! My husband prefers thin soups; I like mine thick! Both are glorious! Simply adjust seasoning to taste if you add additional broth, easy peasy.
- Blend soup using an immersion blender, or in batches using a blender or food processor.
- Serve hot, topped with a sprinkle of cinnamon and crispy garlic bread croutons. Enjoy!
special diets and swaps
Gluten-Free? Feel free to skip the flour entirely. I made a roux because I wanted a super thick soup for lunch, but it’s not essential for yum factor whatsoever! For the croutons, use your favorite GF bread or rolls!
Vegan? Grab the earth balance instead of butter and you’re good to go!
Feeding your inner T-Rex? You can use chicken broth in place of the vegetable broth if needed. Also: bacon.
Have a thing for roasted garlic? Me too! Feel free to use this method to roast a full head of garlic. You’ll have some to use for the soup and some leftover to spread on toast for garlic bread or to swirl into tasty dips for game day! I want to spread it on everything in sight!
Searching for More Sweet Potato Recipes?
- Smoky Chipotle Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili (Instant Pot + Stove Top)
- Cheesy Kale Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Havarti and Garlic
- Weight Loss Vegetable Soup via Spend with Pennies
- NEW! Black Bean Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Spicy Moroccan Sweet Potato Soup (Instant Pot + Stove Top)
If you get a chance to try this Roasted Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup, let me know!
You can leave me a comment here (LOVE checking those daily!) or tag @PEASandCRAYONS on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creations. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!