Tossed in a homemade feta vinaigrette and sprinkled with fresh parsley, this Healthy Tomato Avocado Quinoa Salad with Feta is a super refreshing salad perfect for a hot summer day!
There’s a lot that goes on behind the scenes of a blog.
Behind every blog we read lies an entire life behind the curtain, an entire world really. Some bloggers choose to bare it all, while some strive to keep things as structured and professional as possible. I fall somewhere in between. Sometimes you’re greeted with a the most random of rambles. Other times I show up food in hand, no questions asked and no explanation given, just a merry little reminder to eat your veggies and a recipe to help you do just that.
The less we reveal, the more things appear all neat and tidy… a perfect little blog wrapped up with a shiny bow. No thanks, I’ll own my crazy.
Life is messy, chaotic even. It’s crazy wrapped in awesome wrapped in a layer of WTF and a sprinkle of sweetness for good measure.
While I may be able to craft a crazy good veggie burger with my eyes closed and my hands tied behind my back, my house will always be slightly [and/or colossally] messy. There will be toys and books scattered throughout nearly ever inch of my home, toilet paper unrolled as a prop for a rager of a toddler dance party, and the sink will always house at least one dish. Or twenty.
You know what? I think I’m perfectly okay with that.
The simplicity of this tomato avocado quinoa salad is the perfect offset for the chaos in my life lately.
It’s full of flavor, packed with nutrients, and is so stinkin’ good that you’ll forget anything else exists outside for a bit.
The recipe makes a little more dressing than you’ll actually need for the quinoa, so get excited to drizzle it over a big veggie-loaded salad the following day or simply double this recipe. I’ve been dying to make it again but literally every time I cut open an avocado I get a pouty-lipped puppy face from my daughter and wind up handing it over.
sidenote: my favorite veggie? Totally a fruit! A giant berry to be exact. I don’t care what you call it just please someone plant a tree full of them in my yard so I don’t have to ration the yum.
Our days of splitting an avocado are long gone now that my little monkey will eat an entire avo in a sitting. Yesterday she ate two. TWO! I’m rambling, eh? Let’s throw some confetti for those of you who are still with me and dive on into this simple summery salad.
And because I’m feeling especially chatty – one more note for those of you reading this while freezing your butts off in the winter, greenhouse grown tomatoes are a lifesaver right now! The ones I picked up recently were so perfectly ripe and juicy that I almost forgot it’s in the forties today.
For those of you reading this in the Spring and Summertime, ENJOY! This healthy salad is amazing on a hot sunny day!
Healthy Tomato Avocado Quinoa Salad with Feta
:: pin it for later ::
Quinoa Salad with Tomato, Avocado, and Parsley
Yield 2 servings
This Light + Healthy Quinoa Salad with Tomato, Avocado, and Parsley makes a perfect, tasty lunch for one and makes an excellent side dish for two!
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1.5 cups water or veggie broth
- 3/4 cup chopped plum or cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 or 1 whole avocado, chopped
- 2 or 3 TBSP fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 oz crumbled feta cheese for topping, optional
- save a little of each to garnish
for the feta vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1 small-medium clove of garlic minced into a paste
- 1 TBSP olive oil (to cook with the garlic above)
- 1/4 cup olive oil or avocado oil
- 2 TBSP red wine vinegar or champagne vinegar
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 1 TBSP parsley, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, to taste
- a pinch of salt
- First rinse + drain your quinoa using a mesh strainer/sieve.
- Bring a medium-small saucepan to medium heat and lightly toast the quinoa to remove any excess water. Stir as it toasts for just a few minutes. This step is optional but really adds to the fluff factor of the quinoa! I rarely skip this step because I love the texture and flavor it yields.
- Next add 1 and 1/2 cups water [or broth!] and bring pot to a boil.
- Once it's boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered with the lid slightly ajar, for 12-13 minutes.
- While the quinoa cooks, chop your veggies and set aside.
- Next microwave 1 small-medium clove of garlic in 1 TBSP olive oil and add to a food processor or blender with the rest of your dressing ingredients. Blend until smooth and emulsified, then season and adjust to taste.
- No blender/processor? No problem! You can whisk the ingredients together. For the feta in this case, you may want to smash it into a paste before whisking it into your dressing.
- Once your quinoa is done, season with a teeny bit of salt and pepper, fluff gently with a fork, and set aside to cool.
- Combine cooled quinoa with tomato and parsley.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of your dressing and then gently fold in the chopped avocado.
- Garnish with all the tomato/parsley/feta mixture you'd like!
- Add any additional dressing as desired.