Easy salmon rice bowls with fluffy yellow rice, tons of fresh veggies and a creamy curry sauce that will rock your plate!
When the Marine is away the blogger gets to play!
I have a few coping mechanisms that help me feel better about the extreme awfulness otherwise known as a military deployment. Some are normal and some are… well, a little odd.
Wearing his T-shirts and boxers around the house? Totally normal! Sniffing his old, perpetually jet fuel-soaked flight suits when I open his closet? A bit insane! I’ve also amped up the me-time with my spankin’ new fitness regimen including spinning, power pump, and yoga, reading everything in sight, decorating the new house, painting, and of course, blogging!
I’ve also moved past the single-gal tendency to eat things like pizza or cereal for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and set a goal to make at least one fancy-schmantzy meal for myself each day.
So even though I had my go-to granola and greek for breakfast and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for dinner, my rockin’ lunch was dressed to impress!
Salmon rice bowls FTW!
Easy Salmon Rice Bowls
This sensational salmon recipe is great with grilled or baked salmon! You can even sear it stove-top.
I like to snag wild-caught salmon whenever possible but farmed salmon will work as well! You can use Alaskan Salmon, Sockeye Salmon, Coho Salmon, or your favorite variety!
The recipe below is measured out for one serving (since this is my solo lunch most days lately) but you can absolutely double or triple the recipe as needed! These rice bowls are delicious and versatile so feel free to add your favorite veggies and extras to the mix!
This dish is the long lost twin of my original chop-chop-inspired creation and pretty much rocks my world!
I make these rice-bowl-meets-salad hybrids all the time (chicken for Paul and veggies for moi) but why I waited so long to put a salmon spin on the dish… I’ll never know! I’m already planning on making it again this week!
It’s SO good!
The salmon had the perfect flavor-packed crust to it with a tender flaky middle and was absolute perfection paired with the crisp veggies, warm, fluffy rice and creamy curry sauce. No more boring salmon! Ever!
Tasty Extras and Add-Ons
- AVOCADO: sliced or cubed avocado brings a creamy and buttery texture to the bowl.
- CUCUMBERS: thinly sliced cucumbers provide a cool and refreshing crunch.
- CARROTS: shredded or julienned carrots lend a touch of sweetness and vibrant color.
- RED ONIONS: can be thinly sliced or try it with zippy pickled red onions
- JALAPENOS: sliced thin and supremely spicy
Easy Salmon Rice Bowls with Creamy Curry Dressing
- 1 wild Alaskan salmon filet (fresh or frozen)
- ½ cup yellow rice
- lettuce (romaine, spring mix, etc…)
- sliced tomatoes
- crumbled feta
- oil for searing
- garlic powder, onion powder, turmeric, paprika salt and pepper, to taste
CREAMY CURRY VINAIGRETTE:
- 3 TBSP fresh or store bought mayo or plain yogurt
- ½ tsp of curry powder plus more to taste
- ½ tsp of white vinegar
- a pinch of mustard powder [optional]
- a pinch of garlic and onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- For the yellow rice, grab a store-bought packet or whip up your own! Combine 1/2 cup rice with 1 cup of vegetable broth, and a pinch of salt, pepper, turmeric, garlic + onion powder and a few strands of saffron and cook rice as per usual. Unless you're using microwave rice, this will take exactly 20 minutes for fluffy fragrant rice.
- Next move on to the salmon.
- Season both sides with garlic powder, onion powder, turmeric, paprika salt and pepper. Feel free to sneak in a little cayenne pepper into the mix for a kick! [I can’t help but add it to everything!]
- Pop the salmon on the grill or try out this sear-bake combo: preheat your oven or toaster oven to 450 F. Pour a little bit of oil into a pan and wait for it to heat up. Once hot, add salmon and sear on both sides for approx 2 minutes each. With a spatula, move the salmon to a foil lined baking sheet and bake for approximately 5-10 minutes depending on thickness. You should notice a delish golden crust on the outside and a tender flaky inside.
- For the sauce, whisk together mayo (or yogurt), vinegar and spices and serve room temperature. You can dip your fork in it and then dig in to your chop chop or go ahead and drizzle it all over the place. Its divine!
- In a nutshell — cook the rice, then the protein, chop veggies, crumble cheese and get your layer on! I opted for green, then rice, more greens, veggies, salmon, creamy curry sauce, and a light dusting of feta cheese on top.
- Commence faceplant.
More Rockin’ Rice Bowls
Scrumptious Salmon Recipes
- NEW! Sweet Chili Sriracha Salmon
- Cranberry Pecan Crusted Salmon
- Grilled Salmon Sandwiches
- Salmon Stew via Garden in the Kitchen
- Seared Salmon Tacos with Honey-Lime Slaw – reader favorite!
If you get a chance to try these easy salmon rice bowls, let me know!
Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation! I can’t wait to see what you whip up!