Let’s clean out the crisper and fiesta it up with these Roasted Chickpea Taco Salad Rice Bowls and Creamy Curry Dressing!
This salad was the happiest of accidents when I realized I was completely out of black beans but still craving a tasty vegetarian rice bowl.
Chickpeas to the rescue!
They’re so super versatile and taste amazing roasted with a hearty sprinkling of taco seasoning.
In fact I love these taco roasted chickpeas on pretty much everything! We put them in tacos, tostadas, wraps, salads and, of course, on these tasty taco salad rice bowls.
Roasted Chickpea Taco Salad Rice Bowls
Only need one serving? The leftovers for these rice bowls are AMAZING! The chickpeas will soften a bit the next day but still taste great! Need to serve more? Double the recipe and get your taco salad on!
Roasted Chickpea Taco Salad Rice Bowls with Creamy Curry Dressing
Let's clean out the crisper and fiesta it up with these Roasted Chickpea Taco Salad Rice Bowls and Creamy Curry Dressing!
- 2 cups chickpeas
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper or paprika
- salt to taste
- 2 cups cooked yellow rice
- 1 diced tomato (or 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes)
- 1-2 cups fresh veggies
- 2 cups chopped/shredded romaine lettuce
- 2-3 oz freshly grated cheese
CREAMY CURRY DRESSING
- 3 TBSP fresh or store bought mayo (or yogurt)
- 1/2 tsp curry powder plus extra to taste
- 1/2 tsp white vinegar
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp mustard powder (a little mustard can work in it's place)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook rice per package instructions, which should take about 20 minutes.
- While the rice simmers away towards fluffy perfection, start your chickpeas.
- Toss 2 cups of chickpeas with olive oil [I use a chipotle or harissa blend typically // it adds another level of flavor to the dish!], lemon juice, and spices. Salt to taste. Cayenne will add some heat, smoked paprika will add [duh] smokiness, and regular paprika will add mild flavor if you're not a fan of cayenne. Pick your favorite and toss everything together until each chickpea is perfectly seasoned!
- Roast at 400F for around 20-25 minutes until crunchy and golden.
- If desired, you can roast your vegetables alongside the chickpeas for more of a rice bowl and less of a salad. Craving something raw and crunchy? Go the salad route and chop, slice, and shred your vegetables instead! Either will rock your socks and leftovers make awesome tacos or burritos!
- Ready to eat? Fill your bowl with rice and top with your fresh from the oven chickpeas and chopped vegetables.
- For the sauce, whisk together mayo, vinegar and spices and serve room temperature. If you fall in love right then and there, double the recipe and pour it on everrrrything! Warm yellow rice and sauteed vegetables drizzled with this sauce is pretty freaking amazing <3
- Give each bowl a hearty drizzle of creamy curry sauce and grab a fork!
Nutrition Facts below are estimated using an online recipe nutrition calculator. Adjust as needed based on extras and swaps and enjoy!
What are you waiting for? Clean out the crisper and rice bowl it up with me!
Last year I had to celebrate Cinco de Mayo with food sans margaritas because I was trying to grow a baby with only 5 toes on each feet. The experiment was successful and this year I shall celebrate with a cold one! Whoo! Of course that’s assuming I can move after CrossFit tonight; I just saw the workout and think I may need a drink beforehand just to coax myself through the door! Yowza!
What are your plans for today?
I skipped the fiesta recipe round-up this year but, just for funsies, here are a few more dishes you’ve GOT to try!
If you get a chance to try these Roasted Chickpea Taco Salad Rice Bowls, let me know! Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation.