Putting a tasty vegetarian dinner on the table just got a whole lot easier! This healthy one-pot enchilada pasta is quick, easy, and ready to rock your plate in just 30 minutes!
It’s no surprise that I’m head over heels in love with creating Mexican-insipired dishes. It’s a party on a plate and ALL my favorite foods are invited!
Wow that was cheesy.
Equally cheesy, is my insanely awesome healthy one-pot enchilada pasta!
There’s something downright magical about perfectly tender pasta blanketed in a zesty enchilada sauce, melty cheese, and #alltheveggies.
I could eat this once a week and be the happiest of happy because not only can I mix up the veggies (Hello opportunity to empty the crisper drawer!) but also play around with the protein and toppings too.
No more boring pasta, ever!
As a result, this dish has been a staple in my kitchen. After making it t-rex style for years, I decided it was time for a plant-based protein-packed upgrade. Instead of reaching for meat, we’re enlisting the help of four fantastic legumes: black beans, pinto beans, chickpeas, and lentils.
Ain’t no party like a legume party ’cause a legume party… fiiiiine I’ll stop the jokes! Maybe.
This is the part where you’d wondering how on Earth I made that work, eh? It was easy thanks to my newest pasta obsession: Chickapea Pasta!
Organic, and 100% sketch-free… this legume-based pasta is made of just two ingredients: chickpeas and lentils. Seriously! Thats it! Put ’em together and the result is a gloriously gluten-free pasta packing 27 grams of protein and 13 grams of heart-healthy fiber in each serving. While the stats had me completely sold, the taste is what keeps me coming back for more. It’s tender with an addictive chewiness, perfectly al-dente, and has a subtle nuttiness that pairs great with just about everything under the sun.
So far I’ve had it with a homemade bolognese, pesto, and enchilada-style and I can’t get enough! After inhaling my first box, I jumped at the opportunity to join the Chickapea Pasta team and can’t wait to share this deliciousness with your face!
Healthy One-Pot Enchilada Pasta
gluten-free + vegetarian + vegan option
Healthy One-Pot Enchilada Pasta
Yield 4 servings
- 1 (8 oz) box Chickapea Pasta
- 2 + 1/2 cups red enchilada sauce (homemade or store-bought)
- 1/2-1 cup refried beans
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen corn (canned works too!) extra if desired
- 1-2 cups black beans, to taste (drained + rinsed)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 oz grated cheese (I used sharp cheddar + havarti)
- Plain Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream
- Fresh Cilantro and/or Green Onion
- Chopped Tomato
- Finely Diced Jalapeño
Serve with lime wedges for a burst of citrus flavor!
- If you plan on popping this bad boy in the oven to melt the cheese, use an oven-safe pot/pan and pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F. Prefer to stir the cheese into the pasta? Skip ze oven.
- First combine your enchilada sauce and refried beans and whisk together to mix well. This unsuspecting combo amps up the flavor, adds luscious thickness, and boosts the protein/fiber content of your zest red enchilada sauce.
- In a large skillet over high heat, add half of the bean-spiked enchilada sauce, crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth, and chickapea pasta.
- Bring to a boil, then add corn and black beans (as much as you'd like!) and season with chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and reduce heat to low/simmer, allowing the pasta approx. 20 minutes to cook or until your perfect level of al-dente. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Once ready, add any additional enchilada sauce to taste. I like to save some to pour over my pasta when reheating leftovers, as the pasta tends to soak up some of the sauce in the fridge (hello flavor infusion!)
- Add your cheese. You can swirl it into the pasta or sprinkle on top and use an oven mit to transfer pot to oven, uncovered, for about 10 minutes or until hot and melty!
- Top with all your favorite toppings and enjoy! This delish dish tastes great the first day and equally awesome the next.
Vegan? Let's do this! To veganize this veg-tastic dish simply omit the cheese and skip any dairy-based toppings entirely! Plant-based shredded cheese makes a lovely addition as does vegan sour cream as a topping if you'd like! You can even add some fresh guacamole on top, YUM!
so. . . how was it?!
Can I gush for a second? Holy cow this dish is AMAZING!
The legume-based pasta makes the perfect candidate for this easy, cheesy one-pot pasta.
Since my husband and I have been on opposite schedules lately (he’s been working nights while I work days) he typically grabs his leftover dinner from the fridge and heats it up around midnight each night. I left him a jumbo serving of this pasta and was super excited when he hopped in bed exclaiming “Well I didn’t think that was going to work but it was really really good!”
Thanks for the vote of confidence, bro.
I hereby dub this protein-packed one pot pasta “Picky P&C Husband Approved” – haha! It’s already on the menu again for next week since our pot-o-pasta was scarfed in record time. We LOVE it and hope y’all do too!
Looking to pick up a box (or six!?) you can pick up a few boxes of gluten-free Chickapea Pasta on amazon.com (affiliate) or check out their handy dandy store locator for a location near you! I’m hoping to see this stuff on #alltheshelves super soon!
This Healthy One-Pot Enchilada Pasta is sponsored by the lovely folks at Chickapea Pasta. For more tasty recipes and ideas follow them on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest and stay tuned as I share even more Chickapea goodness from fellow bloggers!
hungry for more?
Always free; always delicious.