Your plate called. It wants you to make this Buffalo Chicken Taco Salad, stat!
Guys, I think I found an express pass to my husband’s heart.
It’s buffalo chicken anything. Pizza, won-ton cups, spaghetti squash, wings, dips, stuffed peppers, bananas… anything! Ok fine, I made that last one up. But seriously, this man LIGHTS UP when I break out the Frank’s Red Hot.
Today I get to add another buffalo chicken dish to our arsenal that won’t result in a purchase of new stretchy pants for yours truly. It also won’t result in me doing any actual cooking since I can snag leftover chicken breast from the fridge and have this bad boy on the table in a matter of minutes.
Buffalo Chicken Taco Salad: it’s a game changer, folks!
I feel like us food bloggers say that way too often… but in what world would a tasty buffalo chicken taco salad not jazz up your salad routine? If you’re vegetarian? Vegan even? Buffalo Chickpea Taco Salad. BAM! Game changed.
Fine, I’ll go sit in the corner… but I still really want to buffalo my chickpeas.
Not to be confused with my chickpea.
I’ll behave one of these days. Until then, let’s show Taco Tuesday what we’re all about with this buffalo chicken taco salad recipe!
Buffalo Chicken Taco Salad
This zesty Buffalo Chicken Taco Salad is a fabulous way to use up leftover chicken!
15 minTotal Time
- 1 cup (8 oz) cooked chopped/shredded chicken
- 3 TBSP hot sauce (like Frank’s Red Hot )
- 2 TBSP butter
- 6-8 oz chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- 1/2-1 cup chopped/diced tomato
- 1/4-1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4-1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6-8 cheesy tortilla chips (any brand!)
- I topped mine with an all-natural ranch dressing and an extra drizzle of hot sauce. Feel free to follow suit! You can also try it with blue cheese dressing or snag your favorite salsa/guacamole to use as a fiesta-worthy salad dressing! Yum!
- fresh avocado
- sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- fresh cilantro
- pico de gallo
- salsa verde
- lime wedges, for a burst of citrus
- Prep your chicken (see notes below) and chop your veggies for the salad.
- Melt butter and combine with hot sauce, whisking to mix.
- Pour sauce over chicken and serve over lettuce with all your favorite toppings from the list above!
- Drizzle with dressing of choice (I opted for ranch and a hearty drizzle of hot sauce) and dig in.
This chicken is a fabulous use for leftover or rotisserie chicken! You can also cook it up fresh via your favorite cooking method. Grilled, poached, pressure cooked, slow cooked, baked... anything goes!
Making this salad for a crowd? It's easily doubled, tripled or quadrupled to feed your hungry family and friends!
The general rule of thumb is that a serving of chicken is 4 oz, which equates to a 1/2 cup of shredded/chopped chicken. Multiply the chicken and sauce ingredients as needed and then just wing the lettuce and topping measurements, since those are totally customizable and a breeze to toss together.
Hope y'all love it as much as we do!
brontosaurus + vegansaurus chefs: guys, I was so super serious about those chickpeas! Roast up some tasty little legumes via this uber easy method (season them with salt, pepper, and garlic powder) and toss them in the homemade butter-based buffalo sauce above or swap some earth balance for the buttah ooooor go super spicy and just use the hot sauce to saucify the chickpeas. Buffalo cauliflower is also a super-tasty + super Pinterest-worthy swap if you’re in the market for some extra veg.
t-rex chefs: have. at. it.
so . . . how was it?!
This Buffalo Chicken Taco Salad was PHENOMENAL! It’s essentially the salad counterpart of my buffalo chicken spaghetti squash bowls which makes me super giddy, because I now have TWO super tasty lightened up ways to get my buffalo chicken fix! Cue happy dance.
Jazz it up with all your favorite toppings. Cilantro, rice, bell peppers, and guacamole… anything goes! Empty your crisper and put all those tasty veggies to good use.
PS: If your local stores carry Late July tortilla chips… run, don’t walk to those bad boys! I’m a huge fan of using their Jalapeño Lime and Buffalo Queso corn chips as crunchy salad toppers. Paul and I stumbled upon them recently and are now super obsessed. The Jalapeño ones taste like a kicked-up version of Cool Ranch Doritos without the pesky + sketchy additives; I’m in love!
This delicousness is part of my Love Your Leftovers blog series.
past installments include:
- Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes – perfect for taco night leftovers!
- Shortcut Taco Soup
- Vegetarian Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Spaghetti Squash Burrito Bowls
- Spicy Sriracha Lime Chicken Zoodle Soup