Break out the hot sauce and grab some bell peppers, we’re making Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers for dinner!
Of course no less than a day after I put the finishing touches on my 6 Ways to Stuff a Pepper post, another glorious stuffed pepper combo popped into my head. Is this a problem? Guys, I think I have a problem!
Whatever, it’s delicious.
I’ve been a wee bit obsessed with hot sauce lately and, as a result, drizzling freshly made buffalo sauce on pretty much everything in sight. We’ve buffalo sauced our pizzas, salads, dips, tacos, spaghetti squash, and now we’re taking things back to basics with one of my favorite OMGWHAT’SFORDINNER options out there: stuffed peppers.
These beautiful bells are stuffed to the brim with buffalo chicken, bell peppers, onion, and jalapeño, then loaded with pepper jack and cheddar cheese. Serve them up with a veggie-filled side salad and get ready to rock your weeknight dinner routine!
These Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers are a total hit!
Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers
This recipe is proof that busy weeknight eats can be anything but boring!
You can use rotisserie chicken, shredded or chopped chicken breast, or even chicken thighs for this easy peasy recipe.
My favorite method of cooking chicken? In my pressure cooker! It’s perfect for recipes where we’re chopping/shredding the chicken to include it in a stuffed veggie dish or casserole. With the InstantPot I can toss the chicken in frozen and have the entire meal completed in under 20 minutes. Love it so!
When I’m short on time I’ll snag a rotisserie chicken and shred it to make soups, stuffed peppers, chicken salad, and more. It’s the perfect little shortcut.
serving suggestions for buffalo chicken stuffed peppers
If you’re here looking for some epic party fare, you’ve come to the right place! Though we were happy to call these cheesy buffalo chicken stuffed peppers dinner, you can also serve them up as game day fare or as an appetizer for your next shindig! Anything goes!
For the ultimate appetizer, you can also stuff the filling into sweet mini peppers. The result is bite-sized, easy-to-dip buffalo chicken deliciousness!
Serve these buffalo chicken peppers up with a big leafy green side salad or with a mountain of celery and carrot sticks with blue cheese or ranch dressing for dunking.
The recipe itself yields 4 pepper halves but is easily doubled, tripled, or even quadrupled to feed a hungry crowd.
See? I told you they were versatile!
Isn’t everything more amazing in a bell pepper?
Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken*
- 2 large bell peppers (any color)
- 1 jalapeño (optional but tasty!)
- 1 cup grated Pepper Jack or Mozzarella cheese plus a little extra for topping
- 1/3 cup Frank’s Red Hot sauce plus extra to taste
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2 TBSP cream cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
CHOOSE YOUR FAVORITE TOPPINGS:
- chopped green onion
- extra hot sauce
- ranch or blue cheese dressing
- crumbled blue cheese or feta cheese
- pickled red onion
- sour cream
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- For this recipe you can use shredded or chopped rotisserie chicken or leftover/meal-prepped chicken. You can also freshly cook up some chicken thighs or breast to make this dish. Add to a medium-large bowl and set aside.
- Remove the stems from the bell peppers and slice in half. Use a spoon to hollow out the peppers and scoop out the seeds.
- Lay pepper halves on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes.
- While the peppers cook prep your filling.
- Cut jalapeño in half and scoop out the seeds. Cut into strips and finely mince. The jalapeno in the recipe adds a little extra heat and is 100% optional.
- Add greek yogurt (or sour cream), cream cheese, grated cheese, jalapeno pepper, and hot sauce to the chicken. Mix well and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stuff your peppers to the brim with filling and top with ra little extra cheese.
- Return peppers to the oven and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes until hot and melty. Cook 10 minutes for al-dente peppers with a little bit of crunch to them still or 15-20 minutes for softer more traditional stuffed peppers. The choice is yours!
- Lastly top with your choice of toppings from the list above and dig in! Enjoy!
- I personally love mine with chopped green onion (scallions) and a drizzle of sour cream or ranch. SO GOOD!
More Scrumptious Stuffed Pepper Recipes
- Cheeseburger Stuffed Peppers
- Pimento Cheese Stuffed Peppers
- Healthy Stuffed Peppers with Cilantro Avocado Sauce
- Cheesy Spinach Stuffed Peppers
- Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Stuffed Peppers
If you get a chance to try these buffalo chicken stuffed peppers, let me know!
You can leave me a comment here (LOVE checking those daily!) or tag @PEASandCRAYONS on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creations. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!