Let’s get CHEESY with these tasty Cheeseburger Stuffed Peppers – a perfect make-ahead dish for a backyard barbecue or weeknight dinner! I’ve even included a veggie burger version too!
Let’s ditch the bun and put a fun cheeseburger twist on stuffed peppers, shall we?
These cheeseburger stuffed peppers are easy to make and oh so tasty! They’re also gloriously make-ahead so feel free to get your meal prep on for an easy peasy weeknight dinner.
Since we have an equal mix of T-Rex chefs and Brontosaurus chefs around here, I’m including both burger and veggie burger stuffed peppers so that everyone can enjoy these cheesy peppers!
I’ve been happily scarfing Cabot cheddar and pepper jack cheeses since college (a long long time, don’t do the math, haha!) and I’m so over-the-moon excited to be partnering with them today for this recipe!
Cabot cheeses are simply my favorite. They’re crazy flavorful, amazing quality, and naturally lactose-free to boot!
I’m fairly sure 90% of the recipes on this blog have Cabot as an ingredient and I wouldn’t have it any other way!
Happy Anniversary, Cabot!
The farm families behind the Cabot co-op are celebrating their 100th year as a co-operative centered around the support and sustainability of farms across New England and New York. Cheers!
Let’s get cheesy!
This Cabot cheddar cheese sauce is legendary I tell ya, LEGENDARY!
Cheeseburger Stuffed Peppers
These crazy colorful burger-inspired peppers are a fun and flavorful dish for backyard barbecues and gatherings galore.
Snag your favorite toppings and get ready to pimp those peppers!
Cheeseburger Stuffed Peppers
- Slice each bell pepper in half. Hollow out each pepper, removing stem, seeds, and membrane. Halved peppers will yield 6 portions. If simply slicing the top off the peppers and stuffing them is preferred, the yield will be 3 larger portions.
- If you don't have leftover rice handy (we meal prep ours for the week!), cook rice via your favorie method.
- Measure out filling ingredients and pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- In a large pan or skillet, brown ground beef and onion until cooked through. Stir in rice, tomato paste, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix in cheese. (or save cheese for topping peppers if skipping the cheese sauce)
- Place peppers in a lipped baking dish or casserole pan. Pour a cup of water around the peppers (to steam the and soften the peppers while baking) and bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes or until desired tenderness is reached.
- While the peppers bake, make the cheese sauce!
- Freshly grate your cheddar (pre-shredded cheese won't work here) and measure out all ingredients. This cheese sauce comes together fast!
- Warm your milk in the microwave for 30-40 seconds and set aside. Heat a small sauce pot and add your butter. Once melted, add flour and whisk into butter vigorously until they become bubbly and foamy. Continue to cook and whisk constantly for about a minute to cook off the flour taste.
- Add warm milk and whisk vigorously into flour mixture. Allow milk to come to a simmer, whisking occasionally as it thickens. Once it has thickened, turn off burner and remove pot from heat. Add cream cheese and whisk until melted. Next slowly add grated cheddar in 3 batches, stirring it in until the cheese is fully melted. I like to keep the pot off the heat here so the cheese doesn't overhead and turn gritty. If you work quickly the milk should be hot enough to melt the cheese. If needed, put back on the still-warm burner to help gently melt the cheese. Season with cayenne pepper and salt and set aside.
- Once the peppers are ready, pour cheese sauce over the peppers (add a little, or a lot!) and top with all your favorite burger toppings. Enjoy!
- shredded lettuce
- ketchup +/or mustard
- chipotle honey mustard sauce
- toasted sesame seeds (for a fun faux-bun look)
- and so much more!
If you get a chance to try these cheeseburger stuffed peppers, let me know! Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!
Veggie Burger Stuffed Peppers
For a very veggie version of these burger stuffed peppers, you can use crumbled veggie burgers as the filling (with or without rice – up to you!)
I like using 2-3 of my Triple Bean Veggie Burgers (pan fried and crumbled) along with an additional cup of black beans.
You can also try them with any of the veggie burger recipes from my blog!
Combined cooked + crumbled veggie burgers with black beans and set aside. Prep peppers via recipe card above and bake via above instructions after stuffing with veggie burger + bean filling. Top cooked peppers with cheese and all your favorite burger toppings!
This post is sponsored by Cabot Creamery Co-operative as part of a tasty recipe partnership. Stay tuned for more delicious recipes!