Tips for Flawless Homemade Avocado-Wrapped Sushi

Flawless Avocado-Wrapped Sushi Tutorial

Since college, Paul has insisted that I’m a spy.  He’d hack into my Myspace account [Yes, I'm that old!] and change my name, occupation, and hobbies… leave post-it notes throughout my apartment accusing me of secret squirrel missions… and tell friends, quite simply, that I’m a dirty spy.  When we’d go to the library to study in-between classes, we’d sit at adjacent computers and trash talk via Facebook.  The conversations almost always started with: “So there’s this chick sitting across from me in the library right now… I’m pretty sure she’s a spy.”  I found this hilarious.  It was much more endearing than what I’d used to call him ;)  Here’s a hint: it starts with the letter D and rhymes with smooshbag.

My occupation as a spy is quite useful.  Without it, Paul and I would have never figured out how to professionally wrap sushi with avocado!  While snooping behind the sushi counter at one of our favorite restaurants, I noticed the chefs would saran wrap their avocado-laced rolls prior to slicing.  Brilliant!

One large avocado is enough to wrap two sushi rolls in green goodness,

so grab a ripe one and get to work!

Tips for Flawless Homemade Avocado-Wrapped Sushi:

step 1 assemble your sushi rolls [click here for the tutorial!]
step 2 slice a ripe avocado in in half, horizontally and remove the pit
step 3 slice into quarters so you have a flat surface to work with while slicing
step 4 slice each quarter into thin half-moon slices and set aside
step 5 layer avocado slices on top of your sushi, slightly overlapping each slice
step 6 wrap tightly with saran wrap, squeezing gently to mold the avocado to the roll
step 7 with a sharpened chef’s knife, slice the roll into bite-size pieces
step 8 unwrap each piece, sprinkle with toasted sesame + chia seeds and enjoy!
Flawless Avocado-Wrapped Sushi Tutorial

The final step?  Revel in the fact that you just made ridiculously professional-looking sushi.  At home.  For way, way less than you’d spend anywhere else.  *happy dance!*

Ok that’s a lie; the final step is to stuff your face!

Check out my Sushi Tutorial for photos and instructions on how to turn a pile of sliced veggies into ridiculously delicious sushi.

Oh and to answer the question you clearly didn’t ask – I have NO IDEA why Paul calls me a spy.  He doesn’t know why either!  What a smooshbag.

What’s your favorite sushi roll?

Here are a few of mine!
Homemade Sushi JB RollHomemade Sushi Volcano RollHomemade Shrimp Tempura RollHomemade Cucumber Roll SushiHomemade Vegan SushiYellow Rice Sushi

Comments

I’m so glad you posted this!!! I’ve been in awe of your professional looking avocado wrapped sushi ever since you put it on Instagram. I’m totally going to try this at home…once I finally find some soy wraps in this god forsaken farm town b/c I *can’t stand* nori. What a shame!

salmon wasabi and avocado rolls. mmmmmm.

I also like avocado and salt eaten from my hand.

or yours.

really, anyone’s hand.

Even that guy over there who looks to have been doing some sort of dubious activity with it.

I can absolutely promise you that if I tried this, my rolls would not look NEARLY as awesome as yours!! I’m so jealous!

I love pretty much any sushi rolls, but my favorite usually include tuna. Sadly, I cannot eat them for the next 6 months, though … until this little one leaves my body! ;) I can, however, eat cooked sushi!!!

Ok now i am seriously drooling over here!! i only crave sushi when i am pregnant and now it is all i can think about. well what i really want is sushi and screamin’ hot bufflao wings. i would like to eat them at the same time :)

5. jeri says

Brilliant. Plus the plastic wrap will keep the avocado from turning brown, so you could actually make these ahead. Are you available for missions? There is a little Italian joint that makes the best chicken parm and they won’t give up their recipe.

I have ALWAYS wanted to know but since my hubby does not like sitting at the counter I have not been able to spy! Thanks for the tutorial! You rock!

I like mango in my sushi too. And butt loads of eel sauce. And even bigger butt loads of ginger.
    This looks amazing, I can’t wait to put your tutorial to work!

Wow that is so professional! I adore veggie sushi but I’ve never got round to trying to make it myself. It always looks so complicated! I’ll definitely give it a try soon though, and I’ll make sure I follow your step-by-step guide. Thanks so much for showing us how the ‘professionals’ do it :)

Trackbacks