Here’s an easy-to-follow step-by-step photo tutorial for homemade avocado-wrapped sushi. Rolling simple sushi rolls in avocado is easy, impressive, and delicious!
Since college, Paul has insisted that I’m a spy.
He’d hack into my Myspace account and change my occupation to spy, leave post-it notes throughout my apartment accusing me of secret squirrel missions, and even involve our friends in his antics… it was hilariously ridiculous!
When we’d go to the library to study in-between classes, we’d sit at adjacent computers and trash talk via Facebook. The conversations almost always started with: “So there’s this chick sitting across from me in the library right now… I’m pretty sure she’s a spy.”
I happen to think my occupation as a spy is quite useful. Without it, Paul and I would have never figured out how to professionally wrap sushi with avocado!
While snooping behind the sushi counter at one of our favorite restaurants, I noticed the chefs would saran wrap their avocado-laced rolls prior to slicing. Brilliant!
So if you’ve ever wondered how to wrap sushi with avocado, this tutorial is for you!
One large avocado is enough to wrap two sushi rolls in green goodness,
so grab a ripe one and get to work!
Tips for Flawless Homemade Avocado-Wrapped Sushi:
- assemble your sushi rolls [click here for the tutorial!]
- slice a ripe avocado in in half, horizontally and remove the pit
- slice into quarters so you have a flat surface to work with while slicing
- slice each quarter into thin half-moon slices and set aside
- layer avocado slices on top of your sushi, slightly overlapping each slice
- wrap tightly with saran wrap, squeezing gently to mold the avocado to the roll
- with a sharpened chef’s knife, slice the roll into bite-size pieces
- unwrap each piece, sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and enjoy!
The final step?
Revel in the fact that you just made ridiculously professional-looking sushi. At home. For way, way less than you’d spend anywhere else. *happy dance!*
Ok that’s a lie; the final step is to stuff your face!
Check out my Sushi Tutorial for photos and instructions on how to turn a pile of sliced veggies into ridiculously delicious sushi.
Looking for a printer-friendly version? Click the print button below and get ready to get your avocado sushi on!
Homemade Avocado-Wrapped Sushi
- 1 small ripe avocado
- 1 sushi roll
- Assemble your sushi rolls [click here for the tutorial!]
- Slice a ripe avocado in in half horizontally and remove the pit.
- Next slice into four quarters (total) so you have a flat surface to work with while slicing.
- Slice each quarter into thin half-moon slices and set aside
- Layer avocado slices on top of your sushi, slightly overlapping each slice.
- Wrap the entire avocado-covered roll tightly with saran wrap, squeezing gently to mold the avocado to the sushi roll.
- Using a very sharp chef's knife, slice the roll into bite-size pieces
- Unwrap each piece, sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds or your favorite sushi toppings and enjoy!
Oh and to answer the question you clearly didn’t ask – I have NO IDEA why Paul calls me a spy. He doesn’t know why either! What a smooshbag.
What’s your favorite sushi roll?