Bruschetta Stuffed Zucchini Cups

Pin It

I’ve been dying to make my mediterranean bruschetta all fall and winter long.  No I’m not being dramatic, it was dangerously possible that I might die due to lack of delicious food.Regardless of my near death experience, tomatoes tasted like water during those months and I couldn’t bring myself to eat less than stellar, out of season tomatoes.

The goal was to wait until my tomato plants looked like this:
roma tomato garden plant 2011

But because it’s only April, they look like this:

roma tomato plant seedling garden 2012
sad clam

Unable to wait a second longer, I broke down and flat out bought tomatoes.  Perfectly ripe, juicy, flavorful tomatoes.  First I lucked out with strawberries, and now these bad boys? Life is good! =)  Even when you space out at the grocery store and forget to buy bread for the bruschetta.  Oops?

Zucchini to the rescue!!!

stuffed zucchini cup appetizer tomato feta herbs

Bruschetta Stuffed Zucchini Cups
[recipe easily doubled, tripled, or quadrupled for a hungry crowd!]

Bruschetta Stuffed Zucchini Cups

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Recipe type: appetizer, snack
Cuisine: mediterranean
Serves: 1
Ingredients
  • 1 medium zucchini
  • 4 TBSP crumbled feta
  • ½ of a ripe roma tomato
  • ½ tsp olive oil
  • ½ tsp vinegar
  • lemon juice and zest, to taste
  • salt, pepper, garlic powder, dried minced onion or onion powder, parsley, dill, to taste
Instructions
  1. You'll barely spend any time in the kitchen with this one! Whoo!
  2. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
  3. Slice zucchini into discs and scoop a little bowl into the center of each zucchini round using a melon baller or spoon.
  4. In a bowl, mix feta, tomato, herbs, vinegar, lemon juice [and a little of the zest if you love lemon flavor!], and olive oil.
  5. Toss or stir to incorporate, taste, and adjust ingredients as needed.
  6. Feel free to add extra herbs, vinegar or olive oil to suit your tastes. Anything goes!
  7. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes and use any and all willpower to allow them to cool down just a teeny bit before digging in. This is willpower I lack, of course, and the first bite has me running around the kitchen fanning my mouth every. single. time. I wouldn't have it any other way.
T-Rex Chefs ummm… what do you want me to say?  Add bacon?  I won’t say that =)
Vegansaurus Chefs nix the feta and add diced red onion, cucumber, and/or olives!

Looking to feed a crowd? Use [these] measurements and sub zucchini cups for the bread. Easy peasy!

stuffed zucchini cup appetizer tomato feta herbs

So… How was it? Only the best finger food of my life!  No big deal.And by no big deal, I mean HUGE deal!  They’re great raw and even better straight from the toaster oven.  Lightly baking this appetizer results in perfectly buttery and tender zucchini with fluffy feta that melted ever so slightly for a warm, zesty, and utterly delicious pairing.  They travel well and can be prepped a day or two ahead of time for a party or gathering.  They’re even incredible reheated for a midnight snack.  [Um, best midnight snack EVER!]

Feel free to stuff the filling into cucumber cups and serve chilled on a hot day!  But promise me you’ll make the baked zucchini version too — It really is life-changing <3
stuffed zucchini cup appetizer tomato feta herbs

I told you veggies were delicious!

Comments

1. nicoleandgwendolyn says

beautiful zucchini cups!
    but frankly, tonight, i would much prefer alicia silverstone’s vegan peanut butter chocolate version. ;)
    maybe i shall give the zucchini a go tomorrow! :D
    btw, have been LOVING the WIAW – has created so much wonderful discussion over at my blog.  thanks for your inspirational project.  very nicely done.  x x x

Oh wow. I do love vegetables. And feta. I’m going to have to make this.  Instead of bread?  vegetables are always the answer:  put spreads on on celery, cucumber, bell peppers… how about into an omelet?

3. Skeltonhl says

I stuff orange or yellow peppers with sandwich fixin’s for my husband since he can’t have bread! He loves it!

I am definitely pinning this recipe ~ YUM!

I love zucchini, especially a zucchini/tomato combo, yum. Add feta cheese and I want to nom it right off of the screen. *Noms*

Instead of bread? Italian baker girl does not compute.

These would definitely HAVE to be baked for me…I am in LOVE with zucchini when it’s baked or grilled.

Tomatoes are awful out-of-season. I always think of the plastic tomato slices that came in my play food set when I was little–because that’s just what they taste like to me!

6. Mikalah says

Oh my gosh, these look amazing! I love that you used a veggie instead of bread! I’m not a huge fan of zucchini, but I would totally make them with cucumber! Mmmm…

Uh… YUM!  This looks even better than it did on Instagram!  Was it you that was so sad that Picnik was gone?  My cousin just told me about a new (well, new to me) site today that I LOVE!  www.picmonkey.com

I love the zucchini cups idea; I have only tried cucumbers before. I love that the whole thing is edible.  You can just pop them in your mouth. :)  I have not had the best of luck with growing tomatoes either. Whenever they are gorgeous the deer come.

bahahaha I love bread too =) I do… It just loves me SO MUCH it never leaves my waist <3 Good thing the nearest bakery with GOOD crusty bread is like… over an hour away. I can’t turn that stuff down when I’m in town!

10. David Lavigne says

I think you would have made a mistake if you bought the bread. This way your sticking to your “Veg Pledge Challenge”! =)

11. TheMomChef says

Oh, your little tomato plant is so cute. I think it’s safe for us to plant some finally. The hard freeze we had last week would have killed them for sure.  I love the cups, though I’d have to use cucumber because I’m not a raw zucchini fan….cooked I can handle it. Raw zucchini and I don’t get along.

Hey, your tomato plant looks better than mine (which did resemble the crypt keeper until I finally hosted a burial service in the very back of the yard). Can I just virtually hug you for a minute? Because zucchini is one of my favorite veggies…and this looks amazing! Of course I’m a total weirdo and am thinking I will try this without cooking it…raw zucchini is one of my faves! :)

13. Rachelle Hughes says

Um yum. And I am so with you on the tomatoes. My tomatoes are not ripe until July or August. It is a long wait.

bahahaha yes! that’s totally what they taste like! I dream of a jumbo greenhouse in my backyard so I can have delish ones year round. *sigh* someday!!!! Hope you’re having a fab weekend Justine! xoxo