Mexican Pizza Lasagna

This is the recipe that never ends.  My mom and I pass our revisions back and forth so often, that it almost feels like I’m back home in her kitchen.

It all started when I was home visiting the fam and made one of my late night [read: LATE late night] creations for my mom and siblings to snack on.  The dip won them over and the next time I was home to visit, my mom whipped up her version, in casserole form.  Oh. My. Gosh!  I was eating turkey back then and her 7 layer dip mexican lasagna featured hearty seasoned ground turkey and a full brick of cream cheese.  Hello comfort food!  Naturally I’ve been tinkering with it ever since.  These days I keep it simple, vegetarian, and stacked high and mighty in a pyrex baking bowl.

mexican pizza lasagna

Pin It

Mexican Pizza Lasagna
Tastes like a mexican pizza. Looks like a lasagna! Vegetarian, GF & easily Veganized
Serves two =)
To feed a crowd, break out that casserole dish and get your layer on!

Whats in it?

4 small corn tortillas
approx 1/2 can of refried beans
1-2 cups of  black beans
1/2 cup, or more, of enchilada sauce [My fav is Food Lion's store brand]
4 Tbsp of Mrs. Renfro’s green salsa [or salsa verde]
1 medium roma tomato, diced
1 Tbsp green onions, chopped
shredded cheese, taco sauce + a dollop of sour cream or plain greek yogurt for topping

Random side note I’ve gotten in the habit of shredding up a colby jack string cheese stick on top of tacos, nachos, and mexican pizza.  They melt like a champ and act as cheesy portion control =)  Also, if you have a random packet of taco sauce lying around, it’s nothing short of amazing when paired with this dish.

Brontosaurus Chefs veganize by nixing the cheese or adding daiya. Easy peasy!
T-Rex Chefs saute ground turkey/beef with onions, garlic, taco seasoning + dried cilantro
Spicysaurus Chefs top off your dish with fresh or pickled jalapenos

Get Cooking!
Preheat oven to 350F. Prep a bake-able glass bowl with a thin layer of sauce to prevent sticking.  With a tortilla in one hand an a butter knife in the other, spread a thick layer of refried beans onto the corn tortilla.  Top with black beans, green salsa, more enchilada sauce, and then place inside your baking bowl or dish.  This will be your first layer.  Repeat this step for the next two layers.  If you’re going the T-Rex route or need a cheese fix, top the bean-y goodness with [cooked] meat &/or cheese and repeat.  This not only makes fabulous leftovers but is a great way to use up leftovers you may have creeping around in your fridge!  Each layer will be more of the same until you reach the final tortilla.  Pretty it up with a splash of color!  Add diced tomatoes, jalapenos, shredded colby jack cheese and all your favorite toppings.  Bake at 350F for about 20-25 minutes and then top with additional tomato, and chopped green onions for an extra burst of color.  It doesn’t need it, but a dollop of sour cream [or greek yogurt!] takes this baby to the next level.

mexican lasagna pizza
So… How was it?
Easy and ahhhhmazing!  If you can make a sandwich, you can make this lasagna!  No boiling noodles or mixing complicated fillings… just layer like a sandwich, bake, and enjoy.  It tastes fabulous the first day and equally phenomenal as leftovers.  Adding a little taco sauce makes it taste like a glammed up version of Taco bells Mexican pizza, minus the deep fried tortillas and sketch factor =)  The combination of warm melty goodness with crisp, cool tomatoes, green onions and sour cream is absolute perfection…  and oh-so satisfying!  It’ll pair nicely with a side salad or you can simply pile shredded lettuce and guacamole right on top!  Balanced and baller!
Now go make this.  Stat! <3

& make extra!  In true lasagna fashion, it tastes even better the next day =)

and since I make it so often, I even whipped up a re-mix:
click for recipe

Comments

This looks SO yummy! I have always loved (and bee-lined for) anything that looks like taco dip at a party. Turning it into its own dish (not a dip) is a perfect idea in my book!
    Thanks for sharing :)

2. Meredith Turtletaub says

This might be the most creative lasagna I’ve ever seen.  Love it!!   Just joined — getting you one step closer to 1,000 !

Oh its AMAZING! My mom is a freaking genius! I just healthified it up a bit! and I want to hear alllll about your recreation with goat cheddar! Does it taste just like regular cheddar cheese? I love goat cheese and I love cheddar so…I’m thinking it rocks!

Looks delicious!  I’m kind of hungry all of a sudden…  I just sent you an email and I mentioned that I’ve missed your posts.  And now here’s a new one.  Oops!  Just scratch the first paragraph, please!  ;)

Can I just say NomNomNom, and hope everyone else understands?  I’m a sucker for anything Mexican. I just finished dinner and dessert, am physically stuffed, but now I want this. Oh, the delightful agony!

Wonderful recipe, and it looks nutritious ridiculously easy. I serve my family enchiladas once a week, so the Mexican Pizza Lasagna will be an exciting change for them. This is also great “pizza” alternative for my husband, who is allergic to wheat and yeast.

Alaiyo

7. Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit says

Wow, this looks great! My Mom and I share recipes all the time. She and I both have a really hard time following a recipe and making note of all the changes we made to it. Thankfully the blog is making me better at noting down my steps in the kitchen… but the same cannot be said for my Mom!

This looks wonderful. I wish my Mom was around to swap recipes with. You are a lucky girl, enjoy every moment. I am bookmarking this one. This is a must try.

This looks fabulous!  I love Mexican, and this little tortilla stack is perfect!  I have all the ingredients too.  Tomorrow is fend for yourself night, I think this is what I am going to make.  Thanks!!

10. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. says

Yup, this looks awesome. And what a great tip on the string cheese! I’ll have to remember that one!

I LOVE this recipe! My mouth is watering…and it’s GF! Yay! I made your Cauliflower and Brussels Sprouts Au Gratin on Thanksgiving and it was a HUGE hit. You’re amazing. xoxo <3

Holy smokes! Can’t wait to try this! I would like to try Spicysaurus style please! :) Love the new pic of you and the hubs on the sidebar too! So CUTE!!!

13. Albert Grande says

Very interesting. The name is what caught my eye…This dish has the entire package. Sounds like a great late night snack or for an anytime meal.
    Mexican Pizza Lasagna certainly may be a great twist on some interesting tastes!
    pizza on earth,
    albert grande
    Pizza /therapy

14. EA Stewart-The Spicy RD says

Wow! This looks like a great excuse to go buy a pretty glass baking dish! Looks so good…it may even be on my dinner menu tonight!!!

Yippee! Thanks so much for the recipe! I really can’t wait to try it. Maybe once I get through all these leftovers, but then again I haven’t had any vegetables in days unless you count potatoes :) This definitely being bookmarked!

Yay! Thank you for this recipe! It looks amazing. Not to mention how pretty it is. (Though I’m sure mine won’t turn out as beautiful as yours)
    And I have to agree with everyone else, the addition of guacamole sounds delicious.

17. Cookingwithadele says

I just made 997…you go girl..that is AMAZING!!!!!!!!! I am writing it down right now…..thank you so very much for sharing! I have shared it with all of my FB friends….around 3100…you will reach 1000 very soon. Congratulations…

18. Kayla Mai says

Ok, this stuff sounds and looks amazing!! I’d probably make it with hamburger or turkey, but I think I would eat this without also!! Yum, thanks so much for sharing!

19. rebcent says

No other comment but “oh-my-goodness-this-looks-so-good-and-I-must-make-it-pronto” will suffice.

Seriously. Yum.

20. CJ - Food Stories says

This recipe is very similar to a recipe that I make but yours photograps much better. Can’t wait to try it out and I have signed up for your feed.

21. iluvmyboys says

i love your page …. as an ex army wife… i think your page name is cute . and love the photo of u and ur hubby .. best of luck to you both ..