Wicked Easy Restaurant-Style Salsa

I won’t eat jarred [red] salsa. I won’t. No way. No how. It not only pales in comparison to the fresh stuff, but fresh salsa is so stinkin’ easy to make it would be a sin to waste my money on that sub par jar of meh. Let’s skip the shenanigans and dive right in shall we?

If you’re debating whether or not to make your own salsa… allow me to convince you!

Super Simple Wicked Easy Restaurant Style Salsa

Pick/Buy Tomatoes
Toss em in the oven + set timer
Remove from oven + toss in food processor w/ the rest of your goodies
…and last but certainly not least…
Utilize your favorite method for shoveling salsa into your face
restaurant style salsa with roma tomatoes

Easy, right?  Here are the detailed instructions for those of you getting your salsa on:

Wicked Easy Restaurant-Style Salsa

• 6 Roma tomatoes
  • ¼ medium red onion
  • 1 medium jalapeno pepper
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 1 tbsp white vinegar
  • ½ tsp of salt
  • fresh cilantro, to taste

• Feel free to serve with a bevvy of fresh lime wedges to add burst of citrus to your salsa!
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to broil on high.
  2. Line a baking sheet with foil and roast tomatoes, whole, for 15-20 minutes on the center rack of the oven.
  3. Don't be alarmed when the skin of the tomatoes peels back a bit during cooking; some will bubble, some may turn inside out, but its totally normal!
  4. Once tomatoes have had their time in the oven and cooled down a bit, toss everything in the food processor and pulse a few times and blend to your favorite level of smoothness [or chunkiness!]
  5. Once blended, allow to cool to room temperature and dig in face first with some chips or veggies!
Tips: For medium salsa, add a whole jalapeno. To make a mild salsa without heat, remove the seeds and ribs of the jalapeno before blending. Want it super mild? White onion has less flavor than red/purple and is a little blander for kids and sensitive taste-buds.  Want it super spicy? You know what to do! Add an extra pepper or grab a habanero even! When it comes to choosing amounts of cilantro, onion, and pepper to add, start with a little of each and then taste and add as you go. The ratio in this recipe, to me, tastes exactly like the salsa Mexican restaurants serve + is so good I’ve been making it every week! For thicker salsa, add the onion, pepper, garlic and cilantro to the food processor first, blend, then add the cooked tomatoes and pulse just a few times.
restaurant style salsa

So… How was it? Salsa heaven! As if you’ve ever doubted it, it’s awesome on everything! Since the oven was already hot, I topped some chips with organic cheddar and  [fridge pickled peppers] and made some impromptu nachos for the salsa.  The next morning the salsa went on my eggs and, as soon as I finish this post, the remainder is getting mixed into an avocado to make some guacamole.

There’s no right or wrong way to make salsa.. and with tomatoes so deliciously in season right now, there’s no reason not to make at least one bowl this summer ;)

What’s your favorite type of salsa?
Traditional? Verde? Pineapple? Mango? Rock your face off Habanero Salsa?

Comments

I may have missed this in the shuffle, but do you live in New England? I grew up in New Hampshire and we used “wicked” as an adjective for EVERYTHING. Hahahah I miss it so much!!! I can’t wait to make this salsa I hate buying store bought all the timeeee

Oh yay, I’m not the only one who likes to make fresh salsa! I like it a little differently, though – I prefer fresh raw tomato flavor to roasted. So I just toss’em in the blender with some peppers and stuff.
    Hmm…I think I feel a WIAW coming on. :)
    Did you get your hair cut?

I LOVE salsa. I actually buy 3-4 jars at a time. It’s a bit of a problem for me actually but I guess it’s not like I’m downing chocolate or something, right?

Great recipe. Easy recipe. I love it.

This recipe for salsa looks wonderful! I don’t like things too spicy, so I bet this one would be ideal for me
    I like mango and pineapple salsas a whole lot. The sweet flavor adds a nice subtle touch

Oh you have NOO idea how excited I am about this!! As much as I LOVE salsa… I’ve never made it! But I am so making this! This week!! Ah I can’t wait! Thank you thank you for posting Jen!!!
    P.s. CUTE hair!! ;)

Okay, you being such a genius in the kitchen makes me feel guilty for being lazy and constantly relying on storebought! If you start making chocolate pudding, too, we might not be able to be friends anymore ;)

I love salsa and have no problem eating it straight from the jar. Traditional is usually my favorite, and nothing too hot because I have wimpy tastebuds.

Oh yum, that really does look like restaurant style salsa! I much prefer the saucier kind to the chunky pico de gallo style salsa, and it’s hard to find a good recipe for it!

It’ll be great to replace the store bought salsa I’m munching now with a homemade version!

Yum! I never would have guessed salsa would be so easy to make! We’d have to make two versions–the get the fire extinguisher ready for me and hubby and a mild one for the kiddos! I think I will be trying to make some salsa soon! + we love it on eggs too! =)

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE fresh salsa! I can’t wait for our romas to grow!! (and our jalapenos, onions and garlic) My mouth is watering already! Thanks for the yummy pics and recipe:)

DELICIOUS! I love homemade salsa, and this looks amazing from those fresh garden tomatoes. I like a traditional spicy red salsa. :)

Stop, its late and you are making me hungryyyy! For me the spicier the better. And I’ve been known to save taco bell hot sauce for later uses. Terrible I know.

NO salsa beats homemade salsa!! I took a cooking class while I was living abroad in Mexico during college, and we made fresh salsa every day. I seriously could have eaten BOWLS of that stuff. Thanks for reminding me that even though there are tons of pre-made salsas for sale in the grocery store, taking the time to make it yourself is totally worth the extra effort.

I love adding fruit to salsa–mango, pineapple, strawberry, peach…mmm!

I should have what I need to make this ready in my garden very soon. Your recipe sounds great and I do plan to try it. I like your version with roasted tomatoes to make it smooth.

I love just plain medium spice salsa. Bonus points if it’s the kind in the deli that’s refrigerated because those ones usually have lime and cilantro added too!

I must say that I have that same plate (the one with the lovely tomatoes on it), only mine is in miniature “appetizer” size! I love them!

Yum! I’ve never made my own salsa before. We usually make a ridiculous amount of sauce and freeze it for pasta dishes. Now if only my tomatoes would cooperate! They keep turning red ooonnneee atttt a tiiiiiime ;)

Love making something that’s “wicked easy” ! I’ve always made my salsa by chopping everything up, which tastes great, but can be very time consuming!!! Your version with roasted tomatoes looks great!

I tried some mango salsa this weekend and it was FANTASTIC..I feel like I have been missing out all my life. PS my ferrets are big fans of tomatoes. They try to hunt them down when they are out and about

Lucky!! Home grown tomatoes are heavenly. I can’t wait for mine to grow!! I’m still at the flowering stage…bit of a late bloomer over here (haha). I’ve never made homemade salsa before, which is ridiculous! Especially when it looks this good.

I need to try this recipe asap- I have TONS of tomatoes out of my garden this year! I love the idea of roasting the tomatoes first- I have never made salsa that way- can’t wait to try it out!

Girl – I have been eating nachos all week and now I am jonesin’ for some more!! This salsa looks super…I cant wait for my 16 tomato plants to start baring some fruit!

Thanks for linking up to Foodie Friday. I hope to see you again next week!!

I love adding fruit to salsa–mango, pineapple, strawberry, peach…mmm!

Hmm…I think I feel a WIAW coming on. :)
    Did you get your hair cut?

27. Momnivoresdilemma says

Thanks for linking up, Jenn.  I’ll be back in full force at WIAW next week.  We’ve been going rogue with meal plans and such… Your salsa looks amazing…can’t wait til my tomatoes come in!

I love *all* salsa, especially when it’s made with tomatoes from the garden. Sadly, I think we have another month before they’re ripe here…

Ooh yummy, I might have to try this!  So glad I found your blog and I am now your newest follower! Oh, and I’m also a fellow military wife…HOLLA! :)

OMG it was amazing!!!! i did lime juice instead of vinegar. hubby and i ate the whole bowl with dinner :)  I am making more tomorrow.  I am singing your praises for this salsa on my blog tomorrow.  hubs goes away in a few weeks for work and i am looking forward to it so i can eat the salsa and not share :)  it seriously tasted like authentic mexican restaurant salsa.  you rock!!

31. Gail@SophisticatedSteps says

I love salsa. Love!!! I’m practically Mexican.
    I have not, however, ever heard of roasting the tomatoes first.

I learn something new everyday. :)

P.S. I’ve discovered if I leave a comment from my iPad, it doesn’t give me the same posting options for my comment. Weird.

32. Noelle says

i’m totally late, but i’m making this!! I had already made salsa from scratch, but roasting the tomatoes must take it to a new level!!! Yum!!

Trackbacks

1. […] without me passing an inkling of judgement.  Mwah! ooh! and I highly suggest trying this with fresh salsa. I could probably dip a plain baked potato in salsa and call it a day. [a really freaking delicious […]