Say hello to my favorite new chopped salad! This Quinoa Kale Salad features a tasty base of kale, quinoa, chickpeas, broccoli, bell pepper, and onion sprinkled with sliced almonds and feta and tossed in a light lemony dressing.
This quinoa kale salad is deeeeeeelicious!
It’s a bit of a detox salad of sorts, filled with a bevy of fresh and nutritious ingredients tossed in a healthy homemade dressing.
Along with the fluffy quinoa and silky massaged kale is a medley of protein-packed chickpeas, crisp red onion, sweet red bell pepper, crunchy broccoli, and nutty sliced almonds, chopped into edible confetti.
We love ours with a sprinkling of feta cheese on top, but you can make it vegan and skip the optional feta if needed!
dress it up!
I dressed this stellar chopped salad with a light lemon dressing made with just a few tasty ingredients!
You’ll simply add the juice from one and a half lemons to a mason jar with avocado oil (or your favorite healthy oil), a splash of white wine vinegar, minced garlic, and salt + pepper.
No lemons? No problem! It should work quite nicely with limes too!
Quinoa Kale Salad with Lemon Dressing
The great thing about this sassy salad is that it’s totally meal prep friendly! Make it in advance to enjoy all week long as a scrumptious side salad for your favorite protein or main dish.
Quinoa Kale Salad with Lemon Dressing
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa (tri color or regular white)
- 1 + 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 can chickpeas (15 oz – drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup finely chopped broccoli florets
- 1/3-1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 red bell pepper , chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (skip if vegan)
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- First rinse and drain your quinoa using a mesh strainer or sieve. Bring a small pot to medium heat and lightly toast the quinoa to remove any excess water, stirring often. This step is optional but really adds to the nuttiness and fluff factor of the quinoa! Next add your water, set burner to high, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered with the lid slightly ajar, for 12-13 minutes or until quinoa is fluffy and the liquid has been absorbed.
- Once your quinoa is ready, fluff with a fork and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Transfer to a medium bowl to cool.
- While the quinoa cooks, wash and dry your chopped kale (I use my trusty salad spinner) and massage with a drizzle of oil and a pinch of salt for extra-tender, silky kale that tastes GREAT!
- Toss kale with chickpeas, bell pepper, broccoli, red onion, and sliced almonds (you can chop these small if you'd like some in every bite). Mix in quinoa.
- For the lemon dressing, whisk together all the ingredients and give it a taste. If you like the tartness of the lemon juice (I love it!) keep it as is or feel free to add a little extra oil or sweeten a tad if preferred (sugar, honey, or maple syrup are common dressing sweeteners). Pour over salad and mix well. Top with crumbled feta and enjoy!
- You can dive in right away or chill before serving. I love it both ways! If meal prepping, pop it in the fridge and dive in when your'e ready. The dressing will soak into the salad and amplify the flavor even more. Love it so!
If you get a chance to try this lemon dressing kissed quinoa kale salad, let me know!
Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!
Crazy for kale and quinoa?
Both ingredients are total recipe rockstars around here! They’re crazy versatile, easily available, plus tasty and oh so nutritious.
My Healthy Quinoa Salad makes use of both powerhouse ingredients and, like this recipe, can be made in advance for easy meal prep salad and side dish options!
Have dried cranberries and pecans handy? My Cranberry Kale Salad features both kale and quinoa with homemade candied pecans, feta, dried cranberries, and a tasty whisk-and-pour dressing!
I also have it on pretty good authority that adding quinoa to my Mexican Kale Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing is downright DELISH! Doooo it!