Tailgate like a champion! This Bacon Cheddar Football Cheese Ball is sure to make a touchdown at your next game day party!
When it comes to game day snackage, I like to keep things simple. Whether we’re entertaining a party of two or twenty, the snack options are always the same: cheese plates, cheesy dips, cheesier nachos, and the cheesiest of cheese balls. Notice a theme?
They’re all EASY!
Okay AND cheesy. My addiction is no secret.
Bacon Cheddar Football Cheese Ball
Today’s recipe is for the cheeseball of my dreams.
A cheeseball that I’ve festively shaped into a football to appease the touchdown gods…
Don’t let looks deceive you, this impressive snack is so easy you’ll be plotting ways to make this your default appetizer for every future occasion.
Tailgate Party? Football cheese ball!
Your team went to the championship? Football cheese ball!
Baby shower? FOOTBALL CHEESE BALL!
Ok so that last one might have been a wee bit out of place. To each their own.
Whatever you do, whip up this easy peasy cheese ball for your next shindig and get ready to faceplant.
Bacon Cheddar Football Cheese Ball
- 16 oz cream cheese softened
- 8 oz medium or sharp cheddar grated
- 1/4-1/3 cup chopped green onion divided
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup finely chopped almonds
- 4 slices crispy cooked bacon
- 1 slice mozzarella cheese
- assorted pretzels
- assorted veggie sticks
- apple slices
- buttery crackers
- In a medium bowl, combine softened cream cheese, cheddar, salt, garlic powder, and 2-3 TBSP chopped green onion.
- Using a hand mixer, or food processor, whip the cream cheese mixture until fluffy.
- Line a small bowl with plastic wrap and add your cream cheese mixture, pressing it into the bowl while you roll into a plastic-wrapped ball (your hands stay cleanish this way, but feel free to skip the plastic and get messy!)
- Place the cheeseball on a flat surface and shape into a football. You’ll want to press down on the middle and sort of pinch the sides while you press it into an edible football. I promise it’s super duper easy, relive those play dough days and have fun with it!
- If cheese ball is too soft, cover with plastic and pop it in the fridge for 30-60 minutes. You can even make this part in advance and chill overnight. Mine was still firm yet soft enough to coat with toppings so I went with it.
- Sprinkle/cover with chopped almonds, the remaining green onion, and bacon and press firmly into the cheeseball to coat.
- For the laces, snag a slice of mozzarella cheese (though you can also use a slice from a large square of mozz as well as a cheese stick) and use a sharpened knife to cut it into thin slices. Cut one long slice for the center of the football and smaller slices for the laces. Place the long slice horizontally along the center of the football, then arrange the small slices horizontally on top. Again, super simple and you can basically use any cheese you’d like, if needed!
- Add all your favorite dippers from the list above and dig in!
- This cheese ball can stay room temperature for up to 4 hours before you need to pop it in the fridge. Leftovers taste deeeeeelicious spread on pretty much everything in sight the following day.
If you get a chance to try this Bacon Cheddar Football Cheese Ball, let me know!
You can leave me a comment here (LOVE checking those daily!) or tag @PEASandCRAYONS on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creations. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!
Peace, love, and college football.
What team are you rooting for? Around here it’s Florida State all the way! GO NOLES!
Hungry for more? You’ve GOT to try this Jalapeño Popper Football Cheese Ball next!