This Bacon Sriracha Cauliflower Gratin is a spotlight-worthy side that’s easy, cheesy, and insanely delicious!
I promised myself I wouldn’t post this one until I had better photos to share along with the recipe… Then I promptly kicked myself in the face.
Insecurity is so dumb sometimes, especially when it’s over something as trivial as photos for a knockout recipe.
And this dish is a TOTAL knockout. It’s a warm hug on a cold day, a game changing side dish, and proof that cauliflower is so much more than a trendy substitute for white potatoes. When I decided to make a gratin-style casserole with my favorite foodie trifecta (Sriracha, bacon, and cheese, yo!) I literally had no other veggie in mind for the job. Cauliflower for president.
Or something like that.
Bacon Sriracha Cauliflower Gratin
I flipping LOVE cauliflower. It’s one of those foods that, though completely devoid in color, is positively bursting with nutrients. It’s a great source of vitamins and is oh so versatile.
Whether you mash it, blend it, or transform it into pizza crust, cauliflower is your guy. He has your back. He… why on earth am I personalizing cauliflower? Now we’ll never be able to eat him… I mean it! Gahhhh you know what I mean!
While I sit in the corner contemplating what I’ve just done, you should march your cauliflower-loving face in the kitchen and make this recipe. Not a fan of cauliflower? Fret not, that’s about to change! This easy, cheesy casserole is about to win you over.
I could wax poetic about how ridiculously tasty it is for hours, but all that’s going to do is turn me into a hungry hungry hippo and delay you from making this dish. So let’s move on to the recipe, shall we?
Bacon Sriracha Cauliflower Gratin
This Bacon Sriracha Cauliflower Gratin is a spotlight-worthy side that's easy, cheesy, and insanely delicious!
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 4 slices of bacon, cooked + chopped
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 TBSP unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1.5 cups milk or cream, room temp.
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/3 cup gouda cheese, grated
- 1 TBSP Sriracha
- top with:
- 1/4 cup grated Gouda cheese
- a hearty drizzle or two of Sriracha
- 8-10 crushed buttery crackers or bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Set aside a bowl of water and ice to shock your veggies post-blanching to keep them al-dente. For soft cauliflower you can skip this step.
- Cook the cauliflower florets in a pot of boiling water with a pinch of salt for about 5-7 minutes until tender.
- Drain and toss cauliflower into the ice bath to halt the cooking process and keep the cauliflower's integrity. We want tender, al-dente cauliflower - no mushy veggies here! Though you can absolutely adjust the texture to your liking.
- While it chills, start your sauce.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat and add your minced garlic.
- Add flour, slowly, whisking constantly to create your roux.
- Pour warmed or room temperature milk/cream into the butter mixture and whisk constantly until thickened.
- Remove from heat and add salt nutmeg, and 1/3 cup grated Gouda cheese. Stir until the cheese melts into the sauce and add your Sriracha.
- Remove your cauliflower from the ice bath with a slotted spoon and move it to a baking dish.
- Pour the sauce over your cauliflower and toss to coat.
- Top with additional cheese, bacon, and crushed crackers or bread crumbs.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-30 minutes until golden and bubbly.
- Top with an additional drizzle of sriracha and dive in!
:: pin it for later ::
I almost can’t handle how good this is. I have a soft spot for easy-yet-indulgent comfort food and this dish fits the bill. Try it!
Bacon Sriracha Cauliflower au Gratin FTW!