Skip the box and whip up a batch of delicious granola bars at home! These chewy rainbow chip granola bars are so quick and easy, they’re as much fun to make as they are to eat!
I’m the kind of person who prefers chocolate chips to chocolate bars, rainbow sprinkles to boring chocolate brown sprinkles, and colorful eats of all kinds over dull monotone plates-o-food. So naturally rainbow chip sprinkles are MY FAVORITE!
While they’re certainly no match for the colorful veggies I’m always pandering on this little blog of mine, they scream celebration, nostalgia, and fun. They’re edible exclamation points! How could I not adore them!? They put the FUN in funfetti!
I love them so much, in fact, that the entire reason I made these granola bars was to have a delivery mechanism for my beloved candy-coated chocolate morsels. I spotted them online a few weeks ago while browsing baking supplies and I may or may not have squealed. I couldn’t even remember the last time I had seen them outside of their rainbow chip frosting and cosmic brownie partnerships and had. to. have. them.
Chewy No-Bake Rainbow Chip Granola Bars
They arrived a few days later, tucked in a little brown box with my hippie unbleached parchment paper and all-natural magnesium supplements. Oh the hypocrisy of that purchase.
I regret nothing.
So while you can use any chocolate chips you’d like for these super tasty granola bars, I simply must insist that you go full jazz hands with the rainbow chips. They’re just so stinkin’ fun!
Besides, it’s totally road-trip season which will promptly be followed by back to season, which means these will totally come in handy. I could keep listing reasons you need these granola bars in your face or simply toss the recipe atcha. Let’s get on with the show!
Chewy No-Bake Rainbow Chip Granola Bars
Skip the box and whip up a batch of delicious granola bars at home! These chewy rainbow chip granola bars are so quick and easy, they're as much fun to make as they are to eat!
- 6 TBSP unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 TBSP brown sugar
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp sea salt plus extra to taste
- 2 cups quick-cooking or instant oats
- 2 cups crispy rice cereal [like Rice Krispies]
- 1/4 cup flax meal or wheat germ
- 2 TBSP mini chocolate chips
- 3-4 TBSP rainbow chips
- For easy clean-up, line a 9x9 square baking dish with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Set aside.
- Bring a saucepan to medium heat and melt your butter.
- For a boost of sweet, nutty flavor, brown the butter by taking an extra few minutes to let the butter bubble into golden perfection. To brown, add an extra few minutes to the cook time of the recipe and whisk the butter occasionally until the butter starts to bubble, then whisk constantly until brown flecks form and butter begins to smell amazing. The smell of brown butter reminds me of freshly baked cookies or warm caramel, I LOVE it!
- After melting [and/or browning!] the butter, add your maple syrup, honey, brown sugar, vanilla, and sea salt and stir to mix.
- Turn heat to low, simmer until bubbly, then whisk and remove from heat.
- Next add the flax, oats, and cereal and stir until the dry ingredients are fully coated.
- Fold in your chocolate chips and pour into your foil-lined baking dish.
- Using a spatula, press the mixture until well-compacted, then top with rainbow chip sprinkles.
- Gently press sprinkles into the granola square and cover pan with a sheet of foil.
- Chill in fridge for 1-2 hours, this will help the bars cool and set.
- Remove from pan using foil/parchment and transfer to a cutting board.
- Cut into rectangular bars or squares and enjoy!
For perfect texture, skip whole oats and use quick-cooking oats for this recipe. These oats have been chopped and will help hold the bars together so they're not a crumble-fest! Feel free to make your own with a food processor if preferred! I've done both and la la love these chewy granola bars!
To store for later, place bars in an airtight container with foil or parchment paper between each bar to prevent sticking. Bars will keep for 4-5 days and may be frozen for later as well!
adapted from Once Upon a Chef
For a gloriously gluten-free treat, simply ensure that your oats are GF-certified and you’re good to go!
Psst wanna know a secret? These chewy snack bars are freezer friendly. You read that right, freezer-friendly! It turns out frozen granola bars are AWESOME and you simply must try at least one straight from the freezer! If you’re a fan of frozen candy bars or chocolates then you’ll love it! I split my first batch between the fridge and freezer and had fully intended to do the same with batch #2 until my friends (and their super-excited kiddos) got ahold of them.
These colorful treats vanished FAST!