These fluffy strawberry lemonade scones are bursting with fresh berries and lemon zest and drizzled with the most decadent strawberry lemonade glaze! We’re a huge fan of serving these sassy berry scones up with breakfast or brunch, but they also make an awesome Spring dessert!
New Recipe! Let’s do this!
Before we dive in, I want those of you that are even mildly type-A, OCD, or are simply opposed to big stinkin’ messes, to take a deep breath and picture your happy place. I imagine that involves watching the sun rise on a tropical island astride a a sparkly white unicorn with Ryan Gosling at your side.
If he’s a bird; I’m a bird.
Oh fine. I suppose that wouldn’t be everyone’s idea of perfection.
You could be really into sunsets.
Now take your happy place, smother it in the most delicious strawberry lemonade glaze ever, and get ready to lick anything and everything that comes into contact with this decadent confection.
This is quite possibly most delicious mess I’ve ever made. These fluffy buttermilk scones are bursting with fresh berries and lemon zest and sweetened to perfection with an addictive strawberry lemonade glaze.
Strawberry Lemonade Scones
Don’t worry about making a mess while drizzling the glaze. Licking every surface it comes into contact with is not only a totally acceptable method of cleaning, it’s basically a rule. Enjoy!
Strawberry Lemonade Scones
- 2/3 cup chopped ultra-ripe strawberries [aim for blueberry-sized bites]
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 TBSP baking powder
- 1/4 TBSP baking soda
- 1/4 TBSP salt
- 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter
- zest of one lemon
- 1/2 cup cold lowfat buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- strawberry lemonade glaze [see below]
strawberry lemonade glaze:
- 3-4 TBSP ripe strawberries minced
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp milk
- a pinch of salt
- Love lemon? Add a bit of zest to the glaze for extra flavor!
- Preheat oven to 400F. Remove tops/hull from strawberries, chop into blueberry-sized bites and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt. Cut in the butter and add the lemon zest. I typically use a box/cheese grater to coarsely grate the cold stick of butter and then mash it into the flour with a fork. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, buttermilk and vanilla. Pour about half of the egg mixture into the flour and mix. Add the remainder and stir until just moistened. The dough will be fairly dry. Knead a few strokes and gently fold in the strawberry. Some of the berries, if super ripe like mine, will smush into the dough when kneaded. Just go with it; they’ll be sweet strawberry flavor in every bite!Lightly sprinkle a clean, flat surface with flour [the dough will be sticky] and gently knead your dough until smooth. Aim for about 12-15 total strokes, max. Shape into a 7 inch circle on your baking sheet and cut into 6-8 wedges.
- Bake at 400F for 15-20 minutes, until golden, using a toothpick to test the center. Move to a wire rack and allow to cool.Typical scone protocol is to steal one hot and fluffy scone straight from the oven and then wait for the second to cool enough to glaze. It’s truly the best of both worlds!
- While you wait, whisk together the glaze. Combine strawberries with powdered sugar, lemon juice, milk, and a pinch of salt. Use a hand mixer [or a whisk and your soon-to-be-toned forearms] to whisk the ingredients into a pretty pink glaze. You can manipulate the thickness by adding a little extra powdered sugar or thin with a bit more milk/juice as desired. It’s deliciously foolproof! Pour glaze onto cooled scones and snag one quickly before they disappear!
If you get a chance to try these Strawberry Lemonade Scones, let me know! You can leave me a comment here (LOVE checking those daily!) or tag @PEASandCRAYONS on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creations. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!
To be fair, Paul insists his happy place lacks any sort of cameo by Ryan Gosling.
He prefers George Clooney.
This sounds so good! And I’m happy to hear you’re also a member of the licking -the-surfaces-clean club. So I reckon I can stop hiding guiltily if I do so 😉 I think that’s something that should become socially acceptable!
How beautiful! I’ve never made scones before but your photos make me desperately want to start! I think I’ll have to 😉 pinning for later! Yummmmm!
Wow these look fabulous! I’d call this a successful comeback 🙂
I love anything with citrus and strawberries so my type A loving, OCD ways will 100% forgive a mess if it involves these sones, Ryan Gosling and a unicorn. Preferably in that order.
DROOL! Holy goodness!
These look simply amazeballs! Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum.
Looks like a work of art! I love sunsets more so than sunrises. For some reason the only thing I enjoy doing early in the morning is working out. I love relaxing and enjoying my drink while watching the sunset! Aaahhh I’m in my happy place! Lol
Looks amazing! Now to decide which gf flour would work best. Happily pinning 🙂
The fact that it’s a mess means it’s criminal NOT to lick the sidelined batter….
I once tried a lemon scone at this random cafe here and loved it…it would only be enhanced by the strawberry. Genius. I would probably faceplant the glaze before dousing the scones…no shame.
You know I love anything pink!! Looks great girl, my girls would LOVE these!
These look so good!! Saving for later 🙂
I sure do love scones! In fact I made some too – which are a tad on the “weird” combo side 🙂 Love your strawberry lemonade glaze – I would have a hard time not guzzling it down!
So delicious! Pinned 🙂
Wow these look absolutely incredible! Love the idea of having a glaze like this and the photos look so pretty 🙂
I’m not one for messes, but those do look incredible! Maybe just send me one? 😉
Ahhh, this is so springy and wonderful I can hardly handle it!! Strawberry + lemonade + scones + RYAN GOSLING (haha love this part) = my perfection. Definitely pinning the crap out of your pictures to some of my Pinterest boards right now!
yum! sounds delicious ! xo jillian – cornflake dreams
These are just so pretty! Meghan would go wild for these. 🙂
Looks delish… may have to try these over spring break!
The scones look absolutely yummy!! BUT, it’s so nice to see your smiling face on the other side of the camera. You have a beautiful family! Beautiful!! All of you!!