This caprese tortellini pasta salad is ready to rock your next party or BBQ! Feel free to make this healthy pasta salad in advance – it’s great the next day!
Fresh tortellini went on sale again and my basil plant decided to turn into the incredible Hulk of herbs so… let’s have some fun with it!
This caprese tortellini salad is the perfect delivery system for a whole lot of YUM!
When the classic flavor of a fresh Caprese salad combines with tender, cheesy tortellini pasta, puremagic happens. The weather is still a bit wonky, flashing from freezing and rainy to hot and sunny in the blink of an eye, but this salad is sure to have your taste buds singing “SUMMER!!!” and doing a little jig.
One bite of this fresh, flavorful salad and you’ll know exactly what season it is. Get ready to enjoy this one all Spring and Summer long!
I’m jumping right into the recipes today since I have a whole lot of YUM to squeeze into just one post! You don’t mind, right?
Bring on the veggies!!!
Caprese Tortellini Pasta Salad
This caprese pasta salad serves 4 and is very easily doubled or tripled to feed a crowd! Take this tasty tortellini to your next barbecue or potluck for an uber easyy crowd-pleasing dish!
Short on time? You can even make it in advance for a grab and go side dish that’s sure to delight. Squirrel away a portion of the dressing to toss the salad in just before serving and get ready to faceplate!
Caprese Tortellini Pasta Salad
Yield 4-6 servings
Just when you thought pasta salad couldn't get any better: This caprese tortellini pasta salad is ready to rock your next party or BBQ!
- one 9oz pkg of fresh, refrigerated tri-color cheese tortellini
- one pkg of fresh mozzarella balls [marinated or regular]
- one pint/pkg of grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Italian dressing [see below for recipe]
- fresh basil leaves
- The above measurements are simply a jumping off point; use as much or as little as you need! <3 This dish comes together in a matter of minutes and is perfect for a last minute meal or an impromptu side dish for a summer BBQ or party!
- If your local grocery store has an antipasto bar with fresh, marinated mozzarella balls, those will work gloriously too! You can even use a regular block of whole milk mozzarella cheese and marinate it in some extra homemade [[or even store bought!] Italian dressing if you'd like! It's super customizable and so delicious!
- simple + speedy Italian dressing:
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 TBSP mrs dash italian seasoning [my favorite!]
- 1/2 TBSP of garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil.
- Add your tortellini and reduce heat to gently cook the pasta to either tender or al-dente according to package directions.
- Grab a noodle to taste-test and remove from heat.
- Strain/drain in a colander and run under cold water to halt the cooking process and prevent soggy noodles.
- Transfer into a medium-large serving bowl along with mozzarella balls, tomatoes, and basil.
- FOR THE DRESSING: whisk all ingredients together and allow to sit. Giving the dressing some time to mingle will not only infuse flavor into the oil/vinegar but also soften the dry herbs and seasoning. This dressing will keep in your fridge for about a week so make extra to drizzle over a week's worth of salads!
- Pour in dressing and toss to coat.
- Dig in!
Feel free to drizzle your favorite fruity balsamic dressing or glaze over this salad for an extra burst of flavor!
and because food is always more fun on a stick…
Skip the bowl and kebab it up for a fun snack or party appetizer!
Of course if we’re going to slap this salad on a stick, then we’re going to need something to dunk it in… right?
I’ve got just the thing!
pesto veggie dip
- 8 slices of fresh cucumber, peeled
- 4 oz cream cheese (regular or neufchatel)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 2 TBSP pesto (homemade or store bought)
- 1 TBSP white vinegar
- 4 large basil leaves
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4-1/2 tsp parsley
- 1/8-1/4 tsp salt
- Combine ingredients in a food processor and blend until creamy.
- Feel free to add a little extra salt or pesto if your tastebuds crave it. The cheese will thicken the dip while the cucumber and vinegar will thin it; adjust if desired. The measurements above are my own personal magical OHMYGOSH-I-LOVE-THIS-DIP ratio. It’s downright delicious with tortellini kebabs, fresh veggies, whole grain crackers, and even rocks as a sandwich spread! Store an extra batch in your fridge so you can try it on everything!
:: pin it for later ::
If you get a chance to try this easy peasy Caprese Tortellini Pasta Salad let me know!
You can leave me a comment here (LOVE checking those daily!) or tag @PEASandCRAYONS #PEASANDCRAYONS on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creations! I can’t wait to see what you whip up!