Boasting 2 cups of kale, this Tropical Mango Kale Smoothie is nutrient-packed and full of tasty tropical flavor. Shake up your smoothie routine with this gorgeous green smoothie!
There’s been a long-standing rule in this house: no two smoothies shall be alike!
Though this clearly makes me a contender for lamest rule in all the land, I’m 100% okay with it! My smoothie game is uber spontaneous and I rarely re-create my blended bombshells a second time. I’ll always add something different like a new fruit, a boatload of veggies, or a bevvy of mix-ins like chia, hemp, flax, or protein powder. It’s simple enough, use up whatever is on hand and you’re sure to have endless smoothie combinations to slurp all Spring and Summer long. Until now.
Now I’m on a kale bender.
It started innocently enough, with a light rotation of leafy green salads, but things escalated rather quickly. Now simply eating it isn’t enough. I have to drink it too!
Let them eat kale!
I like to prep the whole bunch of kale after purchasing it, and love know that I’ll have a big ole bag full to add to my salads all week long. It outlasts all other lettuce. Where iceberg, romaine, and even my beloved spinach will wilt and/or brown, kale has my back.
I’ll simply wash and dry thoroughly, remove the leaves from the stems, massage the leaves to tenderize them, then store it in a plastic baggie with a square of paper towel to help keep it fresh.
Tropical Mango Kale Smoothie
I’m so crazy in love with my latest creation that I want it daily. Hourly even. A bit obsessive? Probably. Do I care? Nope! It’s too flipping hot outside to fight the urge any longer.
I LOVE this smoothie!
Tropical Mango Kale Smoothie
- 2 cups torn kale leaves, removed from stem (massaged if desired)
- 12 chunks frozen mango
- 1 banana
- 1 large kiwi peeled
- ½ cup coconut milk
- a sprinkle of flax or chia seeds (optional)
- Blend! Blend it. Blend it real good! That’s it!
- Using a blender or processor, combine above ingredients and blend into green smoothie perfection. The longer you blend the kale the more it will break up, and the thickness will greatly depend on the ingredients used.
- Since I used frozen mango and coconut milk, my smoothie was super thick yet still easy to drink through my favorite glass straw. If you only have fresh mango handy, consider using frozen banana to thicken. Use the above recipe as a guide then adjust to taste as needed. New to kale? Consider adding a bit more mango to kale ratio and then working your way up as needed. Easy peasy!
special diets and swaps
Of course I’m always running out of ingredients, so naturally this bad boy can be shaken up into a few fabulous combinations. No coconut milk handy? Try coconut water! Not a fan of c-nuts? Not a problem! Fresh orange or pineapple juice make great substitutions for the liquid portion of this smoothie. You can even use mango juice or carrot juice (or mango-carrot juice because, duh) and blend away!
The kale-banana-mango combination, however, is total magic. Try it! I’ll even let you sub spinach if you’re super scared of kale, because I’m nice like that. Just as long as you eat (or in this case, drink!) your veggies I’ll be happy! Though this sassy smoothie may be alarmingly (aka awesomely) green, the flavor is 100% banana-mango. It’s fruity and fabulous and oh-so-tasty!
If you read my little tirade earlier you already know how much this sassy kale smoothie rocks! If you’re a scanner (TL;DR) and totally breezed to the bottom of this post in record time, I’ll spell it out for ya:
I love this smoothie’s face off. The end.
Crazy for kale? Try these:
- Chopped Greek Kale Salad
- Roasted Garlic Kale Pesto Pasta
- Cheesy Kale Stuffed Sweet Potatoes – READER FAVORITE!
- Cranberry Kale Quinoa Salad with Candied Pecans and Feta
We also LOVE this Strawberry Kale Salad!