Pour a hot cup of coffee and grab one of these Pumpkin Spice Streusel Muffins, stat! The cinnamon sugar streusel absolutely makes these muffins.
So I have this Pumpkin Bread recipe that goes over like gangbusters every time I make it.
My toddler watches the oven like a hawk while it bakes, ready to pounce the second it’s cool enough to touch/grab/devour. It never lasts more than a day in our home, and my friends are more than happy to gobble up the leftovers in the rare instance that the chickpea and I aren’t able to scarf it all. I brought a loaf to playdate once and the kids lost their minds over it.
Yet no one makes it off my blog. I know, so tragic right? I *think* it has something to do with the butt ugly photos I took of it (they can’t all be winners) last Fall. My apologies, dear pumpkin bread. I’ve failed you!
In an effort to redeem myself and get y’all to give this recipe a chance, I revamped it! The recipe is essentially the same fluffy and flavorful pumpkin bread base, minus the cranberries and glaze, with the most addictive mountain of streusel there ever was on top.
Oh, and so I could guarantee the photos wouldn’t be as atrocious as the original, I muffinized it!
That’s totally a word, shush.
You can 110% make this into a loaf if you’d like. I’ll add instructions for both in the recipe below!
Ready… Set… GO!
Pumpkin Spice Streusel Muffins
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup oil (I used avocado oil)
- 1-2 tsp orange zest
- 1 TBSP orange juice (from the same orange you zested)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a muffin tin with parchment muffin liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and allspice in a bowl and whisk to incorporate.
- In a large bowl, combine wet ingredients: egg, pumpkin puree, oil, orange zest, and orange juice.
- Slowly sprinkle your flour mixture into the wet ingredients, stirring with a fork until just moistened. The batter will be thick and sticky.
- Pour batter into muffin liners, filling 3/4 for larger muffins or at the 1/2 way mark for smaller muffins. Recipe yields 9 larger muffins or 12 smaller ones.
- Top with your streusel.
- Place muffins in the oven, then immediately decrease the oven to 350 degrees F. The higher bake time in the beginning helps the muffins rise fast + high, love this trick!
- Bake on the center rack in the center of the oven for 20-22 minutes, using a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf to test doneness. If making 12 smaller muffins, check them at the 18 minute mark.
- Commence faceplant!
- Serve with your choice of butter, apple butter, pumpkin butter, peanut butter, or any spread your heart desires! They're great on their own and great with a tasty topping too!
Craving pumpkin spice streusel bread instead? Perfecto! See tips below:
For a loaf, pour batter into a greased or parchment paper lined 8x4 inch loaf pan. Top with streusel and bake at 350 degrees F for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick comes clean from the center. Allow to cool on a wire cooling rack, then slice and serve with your choice of butter, apple butter, pumpkin butter, peanut butter, or any spread your heart desires!
so. . . how were they?
Holy streusel, batman! I can’t get over how much I love these pumpkin spiced muffins with their mountain-o-stresusel. I even dusted a little powdered sugar and cinnamon on top, because it’s Fall and gosh darn-it, all mountains need a snowy cap!
The chickpea is a muffin addict and basically jumped through hoops to get at these. She waited patiently for me to snap a few photos to share with y’all then, when the wait became too cumbersome, my darling threenager threw herself onto the floor in agony. “Momma! Muffins!!!!” I’m talking pouty lip, tears, the works.
Thankfully they didn’t disappoint, and she happily devoured the most lopsided muffin of the bunch while I took photos of the rest. As a food blogger, I can honestly say that we LIVE for lopsided muffins around here 😀
With all the holiday festivities coming up you’ll have the perfect excuse to make these too, either as muffins or in loaf form. Woot! Serve as part of an epic holiday brunch (it’s PERFECT with a hot mug of coffee!) or save ’em for dessert.
Pumpkin Spice Streusel Muffins FTW!
hungry for more?
Always free; always delicious.