Whenever I have a lone bag of french fries in my freezer, or a sweet potato just begging to become snack food, I bake them up and make Loaded Mexican Sweet Potato Cheese Fries. Like nachos; only better!
Shall we all get a chuckle out the fact that I’m already planning my Cinco de Mayo menu? This probably comes as no surprise, as I look forward to literally any opportunity to combine jalapeños, black beans, guacamole, and copious amounts of cheese.
You could probably argue that I live most days like it’s Cinco de Mayo. You’d probably be right.
Case in point? It’s March (my birthday week no less!) and instead of wondering which type of cake I’d like to request, I’m sitting here thinking about how to justify having nachos for dinner.
Ooh! Ooh! I know! St Patrick’s Day! Thursday! Irish Nachos! YAAS.
This super easy freezer hack takes a bag of of lusciously crispy sweet potato fries (or regular fries if that’s your thing) and turns them into the most epic sweet potato nachos. Sort of like this recipe with a sneaky little shortcut.
It seemed sort of silly to blog these but whenever I post a photo one of our epic loaded sweet potato nacho faceplants on Instagram or Snapchat I’m inundated with requests for more info. Guys, they are SO SO SO stupid simple to make! And customize! And EAT.
Loaded Mexican Sweet Potato Cheese Fries
As an added bonus, I almost feel like they’re more substantial than regular nachos. Whether you’re baking up your own fries from a freshly sliced sweet potato or cheating like I occasionally do and snagging a bag of frozen sweet potato crinkles, they’re full of way more nutrients than deep fried corn tortilla chips and by default, healthier.
Yes leave it to me to say the words healthy and nachos within the same general vicinity and then SLATHER THEM WITH CHEESE.
My issues run deep. I’ve actually cut back on the amount I consume (WHAT!? I KNOW!) but today? Today we go all out!
This is whole food junk food at it’s absolute best.
Choose all your favorite toppings and snack happy!
10 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- Snag your favorite bag of frozen sweet potato fries or regular fries and and bake according to package instructions. I like to flip mine halfway to make them extra crispy! Feel free to think outside the box with this concept and use anything from curly fries to waffle fries to tater tots as your base.
- Black Beans or Pinto Beans
- Pickled or Sliced Jalapeño Peppers
- Fresh Cilantro and/or chopped green onion
- Diced Bell Peppers
- Chopped Tomato
- Pico de Gallo (recipe)
- Salsa and/or Guacamole
- Chopped Avocado
- Shredded Lettuce
- Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt
- Jalapeno Ranch
- If you really want to amp up the flavor, try seasoning the fries with a combination of chili powder, paprika, and garlic powder before baking. It's SO delicious! Feeling the heat? You can even add cayenne pepper too! (I always do)
- Bake your fries according to package direction, or opt for homemade by roasting sweet potato slices or wedges.
- Flip halfway for extra crispy spuds.
- Arrange in a small pile in the center of a baking sheet and top with cheese, beans, and any veggies you'd like baked into the cheese fries, like jalapeños.
- Return to the oven for 15 minutes, or until cheese is hot and melty.
- Top with all your favorite veggies, sauces, and toppings and dig in while it's hot!