These tasty Black Bean and Lentil Burrito Bowls feature saucy seasoned lentils and black beans served over a bed of crisp romaine lettuce and flavorful yellow rice with all the tasty taco toppings!
Over the years, I’ve had a lot of fun testing and perfecting different swaps for meat in recipes. Instead of purchasing pre-made TVP crumbles, patties, and nuggets, I love using whole foods and lots of flavor!
Lately I’ve been making a super flavorful lentil black bean filling to use in tacos, taco salads, and burrito bowls. It’s crazy easy to make and meal-prep friendly!
I promise I’ll post all three recipes, but first let’s kick things off with some baller burrito bowls.
Meatless Burrito Bowl Ingredients
Here’s a little breakdown of what goes into each bowl!
As always, feel free to add any extras your heart desires. Burrito bowls are a fantastic way to use up random leftovers in your fridge so nothing goes to waste. I added some sautéed zucchini one time and absolutely adored it.
Saucy Black Beans and Lentils
Spiced to perfection and sauced up with a combination of enchilada sauce and salsa, these saucy seasoned black beans and lentils make the ultimate burrito bowl filling. You can even give them a smoky vibe with a little chipotle seasoning or smoked paprika. Delish!
I kept things super speedy by using canned lentils and black beans. These can also be cooked up fresh if you prefer.
I love using seasoned yellow rice but this rockin’ recipe also works with white rice, brown rice, or Spanish style rice. Sometimes I have leftover rice in the fridge and can use up that and other times I’ll just make it fresh. You can even use cauliflower rice or quinoa!
To lighten up our bowls, I like to add equal parts chopped romaine lettuce and rice. This way you get all the glorious flavors and textures in each bite.
Vegetarian Burrito Bowl Topping Options
Add your favorites and, as always, add as much or as little as you like to your bowl. Here are some tasty ideas to get you started:
- Diced tomatoes
- Pico de Gallo
- Sliced avocado or guacamole
- Shredded lettuce or cabbage
- Salsa or hot sauce
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt (vegan or regular)
- Black beans or pinto beans
- Diced red onion or pickled red onions
- Corn or chipotle copycat corn salsa
- sliced jalapeño peppers
- Cilantro and/or green onion
- Lime wedges
- Tortilla chips or strips
Sautéed zucchini or bell peppers are another delicious option. You can even add some taco-seasoned roasted sweet potato cubes if you’d like. Delicious!
I went with fresh guacamole and diced tomatoes then topped them off with crispy tortilla chips, a dollop of sour cream and some fresh cilantro.
Meal Prep Tips
Leftover black bean lentil filling can be stored in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the fridge or can be frozen for up to a month.
Whenever I make lentils for tacos/burritos/bowls I always make some extra so I have lunch sorted for the following day or two.
You can assemble your bowls in meal prep containers and keep extras like sour cream, guac, tortilla chips and strips, etc… in little baggies or lidded containers on the side so you can heat up the hot components (legumes and rice) then pile on the fresh toppings at the end.
Black Bean and Lentil Burrito Bowls
I’ve included all the instructions and measurements in the recip card below, but feel free to use this as a base recipe for all your favorite taco night toppings and mix-ins.
They’re great every which way!
This is one of those recipes that’s ridiculously easy to customize. I essentially make a different bowl each time by mixing and matching ingredients. It’s also a great way to use up any taco night leftovers from the night before and can help you empty out your crisper drawer, making use of all those glorious veggies that may be hiding out of view.
Black Bean and Lentil Burrito Bowls
SAUCY BLACK BEANS AND LENTILS
- 1 ½-2 cups cooked yellow rice or extra if a larger portion is desired
- 2 cups finely chopped romaine lettuce
- 1-2 cups chopped tomatoes
- ¼ cup guacamole
- ¼ cup sour cream (regular or vegan)
- ⅛-¼ cup fresh chopped cilantro leaves
- Cook rice via package instructions. You'll want approx. 1 ½ to 2 cups cooked rice for four the burrito bowls or make extra if you're meal prepping.
- While the rice cooks, drain and rinse beans and lentils and add to a small saucepan. Add enchilada sauce and salsa along with chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder. Heat on medium-low until beans are warmed through and spices are fragrant.
- Cayenne can be added for heat and smoked paprika or chipotle seasoning for some smoky flavor – play around with flavors and add any extra spices to taste. Season mixture with salt and pepper to taste and keep warm on lowest setting while you prep the remaining ingredients.
- Chop veggies and choose your favorite toppings from the list above.
- Now it's time to get our burrito bowl on! Divide lentil mixture, cooked rice, and lettuce between bowls. Top with fresh veggies all your favorite toppings and extras, saving the guacamole and sour cream for last. Dive in while it's hot and enjoy!
- MEAL PREP INSTRUCTIONS
- Leftover black bean and lentil filling will keep for up to 4 days (or the same as typical leftovers) in the fridge and can be frozen for up to a month. Whenever I make burrito bowls or tacos I always make some extra so I have lunch sorted for the following day or two.
- You can assemble your bowls in meal prep containers and keep extras like sour cream, guac, tortilla chips and strips, etc… in little baggies or lidded containers on the side so you can heat up the hot components of the bowls then pile on the fresh toppings at the end.
Looking for more Meatless Burritos and Bowls?
- Roasted Chickpea Quinoa Taco Bowls
- Vegetarian Cauliflower Rice Burrito Bowl Recipe
- Southwest Tofu Burritos via Garden Grazer
- Veggie Breakfast Burritos
- Black Bean and Sweet Potato Rice Bowls
If you get a chance to try this recipe, let me know! You can leave me a comment here (LOVE checking those daily!) or tag @PEASandCRAYONS on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creations. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!