These cheesy vegetarian mini pita pizzas are easy to make for a speedy lunch or after school snack!
Let’s kick things off today with a crazy easy lunch recipe that’s easily customized and oh so delicious!
Here’s what you’ll need:
Pita Pizza Ingredients
- mini pita bread (whole grain or regular)
- pizza sauce
- mozzarella cheese
- crushed red pepper flakes
Optional extras include grated parmesan cheese and fresh basil for topping. Delicous!
They’re essentially a thin and crispy alternative to bagel bite pizzas or english muffin pizzas so if all you have on hand are naan flatbread, mini naan, bagels, or english muffins — feel free to use those as your base too. Simply adjust the topping amounts as needed and get ready to faceplant!
Extra Veggie Options
Feel free to mix and match your favorite vegetables for these vegetarian pita pizzas.
Tasty veggie options include black olives, banana peppers, jalapeño, broccoli, mushrooms, onion.
If you want to add a t-rex spin to your pizza, feel free to add pepperoni, sausage, or even rotisserie chicken to your mini pitas.
Mini Pita Pizzas
This rockin’ recipe is perfect for two and can easily be doubled or tripled based on how many pita pizza “slices” you need!
Mini Pita Pizzas
- 3 mini pitas
- 6 TBSP pizza sauce
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- ½-1 cup fresh baby spinach
- 1 roma tomato
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes plus extra, to taste
- grated parmesan cheese for topping
- fresh chopped basil for topping
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 350°F. Line a baking tray with parchment or foil.
- For easy slicing, first warm the mini pita breads by popping them in the toaster until they puff up. Mine were perfect after about 3 minutes. This can also be done in a toaster oven or conventional oven. Allow to cool sightly and use a small knife to slice pitas open into two halves, being careful of the steam inside.
- Spread approx. 1 TBSP of sauce on each pita half and top with spinach, mozzarella cheese, and tomato slices.
- If you're not a fan of spicy red pepper flakes or serving these pita pizzas to kiddos, skip adding the crushed red pepper flakes to your pizza. Love spice? Have at it!
- Bake for 6-8 minutes or until cheese is melty and the pita is crisp.
- Dive in while they're hot and melty!
If you get a chance to try this recipe, let me know!
Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!
More Tasty Pita Pizza Recipes
- Pesto Pita Pizza with Spinach and Feta
- Three Cheese Pesto Spinach Flatbread Pizza
- Veggie Pita Pizzas
- Buffalo Chicken Pita Pizzas via Cabot
- Margherita Flatbread Pizza
- Cheesy Spinach Artichoke Flatbread Pizzas
I also have a round-up of all my favorite Must-Try Flatbread Pizza Toppings — perfect for whatever mini or regular size naan or pita you have handy!
What’s your all-time favorite pizza topping combo?
Perfect for lunch! I work from home and these were quick and easy.