Huevos Rancheros inspired Breakfast Tostadas featuring crispy tortillas, seasoned refried beans, fluffy eggs, and a mountain of tasty toppings. Breakfast is served!
How do you like your eggs?
Scrambled? Sunny-Side up? Fried to crispy perfection? Or maybe soft and swirled with cheese?
Well when it comes to these baller breakfast tostadas… ANYTHING GOES!
Since I’m queen of indecision, I made both fried and scrambled eggs for this tasty tostada recipe.
The recipe is CRAZY simple and gloriously customizable.
For the tostada shell itself, you can buy them pre-crisped at the grocery store in the tortilla aisle or make your own using soft corn tortillas.
Once we have a crispity crunchity base, we’ll cover it with creamy refried beans seasoned with a blend of garlic, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne. And as a speedy shortcut, you can even use pre-made taco seasoning here!
Next we’ll whip up a fresh and tasty Pico de Gallo using ripe tomatoes, onion, cilantro, and lime juice — the perfect topping for our fried or scrambled eggs!
All that’s left to do is choose your favorite “extras” and dig in!
If you’re one of my T-Rex friends, feel free to add your favorite protein to the mix. Chorizo, breakfast sausage, shredded chicken, pulled pork, etc… are all excellent additions!
tasty topping and optional extras:
- chopped cilantro or green onion
- grated cheddar cheese
- jarred salsa
- black bean salsa
- corn salsa
- pickled red onion
- guacamole or sliced avocado
- shredded lettuce or slaw
- sliced jalapeños
- hot sauce
The possibilities for these bad boys are endless! Keep things SUPER SIMPLE for a speedy and satisfying breakfast or take a build-your-own-brunch approach with a table full of toppings everyone can use to customize their own tostadas.
- 4 crispy tostadas (see notes for a DIY version)
- 1 cup vegetarian refried beans
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup pico de gallo
- 4 large eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare Pico de Gallo and grab all your favorite toppings.
- Add spices (chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, and cayenne) to refried beans and mix well.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spread seasoned refried beans onto each tostada then arrange on a prepared baking sheet. Bake for 3 to 5 minutes until tostada is crispy and beans are nice and hot.
- While the tostadas bake, cook eggs via favorite method. You can scramble them with a little cheese or pan-fry them until crispy and sunny-side up! Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the tostadas are ready, top with your eggs, pico de gallo, and choice of toppings. Dive in while they're hot and crispy!
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Lightly spray both sides of the tortillas with all-natural cooking spray and place them in a single layer on a baking sheet spritzed with oil.
- Sprinkle with a teeny pinch of salt and bake for 10 minutes, flipping them over at the 5-minute mark to nicely crisp both sides.
If you get a chance to try these baller breakfast tostadas, let me know!
Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!
more breakfast favorites
Jazz things up with a bowl of Breakfast Cauliflower Fried Rice! This tasty cauliflower rice is sautéed with colorful veggies, fluffy eggs, and crispy bacon, then drizzled with a homemade yum sauce for a totally irresistible breakfast bowl!
Meal prep like a superstar with a batch of make-ahead Breakfast Burritos.