Chipotle Lentil Tacos turn this tasty vegetarian swap into an instant taco party! They’re packed with protein, have literally half the fat of their meaty counterparts, and are totally delicious! Let’s get our taco on!
I’m not sure if it’s just the places we’ve lived and visited over the years, but why do I never ever see lentil tacos on a menu?
If your reasoning is that they are not real tacos, well friend, I was starting to have my doubts as well. Maybe they’re not really a thing. After all, the only place I’ve ever seen them is in my own kitchen so….
But here’s the thing: OF COURSE they’re real tacos. Tacos really only need two things to be a taco in my book: tortillas and toppings.
Corn tortillas, flour tortillas, crunchy or soft… it matters not. Just give me some taco shaped situation for me to stuff an abundance of toppings in and I’m as happy as can be.
Pass me a margarita while you’re at it and I’ll be even happier!
These chipotle lentil tacos are seriously baller. They’re a speedier, simplified version of my lentil veggie tacos with an added kiss of chipotle goodness thrown into the mix.
After devouring the tacos from the above photo I called my neighbor and professional taste tester (lol!), Jen, to come snag a few for lunch.
She ensured me that lentil tacos are most definitely a thing (take that, Taco Bell!) and gave these babies a big thumbs up as well. We completely crazy for them and I can’t wait for you lentil loving ladies and gents to get these tacos into your faces as well!
Ready for the recipe?
Chipotle Lentil Tacos
Chipotle Lentil Tacos
- ¾ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup quality mayo
- ⅓ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 small chipotle pepper
- 1 tsp chipotle adobo sauce
- ¼ tsp cajun seasoning blend or to taste
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper to taste a pinch of salt
- Rinse and sort 1 cup of lentils.
- Heat 3 cups of water in a pot until it's just about to boil, add lentils and reduce to simmer. Cover with the lid slightly tipped to vent and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- While the lentils are simmering, you'll have enough time to get your taco shells and toppings ready so everything is good to go in about 25 minutes!
- To make the sauce, simply combine ingredients and blend! Feel free to add extra chipotle pepper or adobo to taste if you like a crazy strong chipotle kick. It's best to start out small and then add as you go. I used an immersion blender to make my sauce and the recipe works great in a small food processor too. No blender? No problem! You can use the adobo sauce to season the aioli or mince your peppers really small by hand if you'd like. Both options will add lots of smoky flavor. Simply adjust amount to taste.
- Aioli TIP: I like to dive in with a tortilla chip and give the mixture a taste. Adjust smokiness and heat level until you reach your perfect level of deliciousness and then load up those tacos, yo!
- Tip on not eating the entire mixture with tortilla chips before dinner: None. I have none. #allthechipsandlentils
- Once the lentils are ready, drain them over the sink and return to the pot. Add salsa, hot sauce, adobo sauce, and taco seasoning blend. Mix well and warm over low heat until the mixture's hot and ready!
- Assemble your tacos and dig in!
Leftover taco filling can be used to make the most delicious vegetarian quesadillas the next day or be frozen for some rainy day “fast food.” Woot!
If you get a chance to try these chipotle lentil tacos, let me know!
Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation.
looking for more lentil recipes?