This Cheesy Bacon Broccoli Stuffed Spaghetti Squash is stuffed to the brim with tender broccoli, crispy bacon, and melted cheese. Love it!
My toddler has a very set distinction between cool and awesome. To her, the two words are complete polar opposites and not to be mixed up under any circumstances.
“Momma look!” she’ll yell as she leaps off the tallest piece of furniture she can scale, tumbling into a somersault. “Pretty cool!” I’ll respond, stifling the urge to visibly cringe and wrap my baby in no less than 5 layers of bubble wrap.
“No momma, not cool. It’s awesome.”
:: pin it for later ::
So, this recipe. Oh my gosh, this recipe!!!
I channeled my favorite mac and cheese recipe and turned it into a stuffed spaghetti squash and I’m kind of freaking out right now.
I knew it was going to be good from the get-go, but was legit blown away with the first bite. And the second. And… you’ve got to make this sassified stuffed squash!
It’s pretty awesome, which according to Mia is the *only* acceptable adjective to describe this dish.
Cheesy Bacon Broccoli Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
Bring on the broccoli!
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 4-6 oz chopped broccoli crowns, or more!
- 2 slices of bacon
- 2-3 oz shredded/grated cheese (choose your favorite)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 TBSP crumbled feta cheese
- parsley to garnish, optional
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice your spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. For easy cutting, feel free to stick each squash in the microwave for 5 minutes to soften it up just a tad. The knife slides through way easier this way!
- Next grab a lipped baking sheet or a rimmed baking dish.
- Rub the cut side of the squash with a teeny bit of cooking oil.
- Place inside a baking dish or atop rimmed baking sheet and roast face-down for 30-40 minutes, or until tender and easily pierced with a fork. Cooking time will vary a bit depending on the size of your squash, and the once rock-hard exterior of the squash will be visibly softened.
- While the squash roasts, steam or blanch your broccoli and cook your bacon.
- For the bacon, chop and pan-fry until crispy. (approx. 3 minutes)
- Once squash is roasted, allow to cool until easily handled or pop on an oven mit and use a fork to separate and fluff the strands of spaghetti squash.
- Add your broccoli, shredded cheese, and bacon, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with crumbled feta and bake at 350 degrees F for around 10-15 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- For a golden cheesy topping, flip your oven to broil on high for just a minute or two until lightly browned.
- Garnish with parsley if desired and dig in!
Short on time? The squash can be roasted and stored in the fridge if you'd like to meal prep and plan ahead for a speedier dinner. You can also microwave your squash in lieu of baking if you'd prefer.
Get Cheesy! Choose your favorite cheeses to use in this dish. I used a combination of creamy Havarti and feta cheese. You could also use Mozzarella + Parmesan, Cheddar, Gruyere, Gouda, or anything your heart desires!
special diets and swaps
- vegansaurus chefs: you can totally go in a few different directions to veganize this dish. Make the switch with some tasty fakin’ bacon and your favorite veggie cheese alternative (like Daiya shreds or nutritional yeast) or revamp the dish entirely by adding in extra veggies (spinach and mushrooms are awesome with the broccoli) and your favorite vegan pesto.
- brontosaurus chefs: skip ze bacon or swap in some vegetarian bacon bits or tempeh bacon.
- gluten-free? you’re good to go here!
For those of you who are thoroughly team spaghetti squash, keep the stuffed squash streak alive by trying my chicken and veggie pesto, garlic parmesan spinach, and buffalo chicken spaghetti squash recipes.
Spaghetti squash for president!
hungry for more?
Stuffed Spaghetti Squash-a-palooza:
- Cheesy Garlic Parmesan Spinach Spaghetti Squash
- Cheesy Pesto Chicken and Veggie Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- Cheesy Pesto Chicken Lasagna Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- Spaghetti Squash Burrito Bowls
- Easy Cheesy Chili Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- Vegetarian Spaghetti Squash Lasagna — NEW!!!
Always free; always delicious.