This, folks, is what I like to call a game changer: Bacon Sriracha Potato Salad!!!
Bacon and Sriracha?
They’re best friends til the end.
Potatoes and Bacon?
As famous a pairing as PB+J but with an extra does of yum.
Bacon Sriracha Potato Salad?
CAN I EAT THIS FOREVER!?
Overlooking the fact that I just answered a question with a question, I’m going to insist that you make this potato salad.
Barbecue season is coming and your friends NEED this potato salad. More importantly, YOU need this potato salad, so make some to share and some to scarf secretly before guests arrive. Consider it an essential step of party prep. Quality control, even.
Assuming you are making this to share and not hoarding the entire thing for yourself (I now owe my neighbors a bowl because I may be a teensy bit guilty of the latter) then you’ll also want to go ahead print a few copies of the recipe out.
You *will* get harassed for it. Trust me, the last thing you want is to get cornered by an overenthusiastic friend of a friend who, after talking your ear off about CrossFit or the season finale of House of Cards for an hour, can’t seem to remember my blog name. “Peas and Carrots? No? Crayons and Carrots? I don’t get it, what does this have to do with potato salad?!“
This may or may not have actually happened.
More than once.
Let’s cut to the chase and make some bowl-licking potato salad, shall we?
Bacon Sriracha Potato Salad
:: pin it for later ::
Bacon Sriracha Potato Salad
Spice up your Spring and Summer barbecues, picnics, and parties with this zesty Bacon Sriracha Potato Salad! This feisty side dish is loaded with flavor!
- 3 lbs red potatoes
- 3-4 slices of bacon
- 2.5 TBSP white vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup quality mayo [homemade or store-bought]
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1.5 TBSP sriracha chili sauce [extra to taste]
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- paprika, to taste
- Peel potatoes and chop into 3/4-inch cubes.
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water, about 1 inch above the potatoes.
- Set burner to high and bring water to a boil.
- While you wait, line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and top with 3-4 slices of bacon. Set oven to 400 degrees F and place the baking sheet inside [no need to pre-heat] on the center rack. Bake for 20 minutes until crispy and golden. Alternatively you can fry the bacon if you prefer.
- Once a rolling boil is reached, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are fork tender. [approx. 8 minutes]
- Drain potatoes and move to a large mixing bowl.
- Add salt and vinegar and combine gently with a rubber spatula/bowl scraper.
- Allow to cool slightly, letting the potatoes sit for around 15 minutes.
- Combine mayonaise, sour cream, and sriracha chili sauce in a small bowl.
- Once the potatoes have cooled a bit, fold in using the rubber spatula.
- If you'd like spicier spuds, feel free to add extra sriracha to the mix. Made as written, the recipe is zesty but not quite face-kicking spicy. I'll leave that up to you! Mwah!
- Top with crispy bacon, chopped green onion, and paprika and serve at room temperature.
- Serve alongside your trusty bottle of Sriracha so anyone willing to walk on the wild side [it's delicious!] can turn up the heat with a little extra kick!
I use the America's Test Kitchen method for prepping my potatoes, since it's never failed me and always yields perfect results, if you're a potato salad making pro and have a technique you adore, go for it! For best results, grab red potatoes for this salad, their buttery texture is perfect for potato salad and they hold their shape even after little manhandling to fold in the sauce. Russet potatoes will also work, but will smush and crumble a bit easier.
bacon sriracha potato salad, eh? so . . . how was it?!
I really do want to eat this forever! Luckily I’ll have oodles of Spring and Summer barbecues, picnics, and parties to give me the perfect excuse to potato salad it up! This salad makes a rockin’ side dish for burgers, hot dogs, and even my super tasty veggie burgers!
It even makes a great stand-alone lunch when you’re recipe testing… because that’s how food bloggers roll.
Hello most delicious hobby ever!
update: I’ve officially gotten my friends HOOKED on this salad! It’s your turn!
For all my sweet potato enthusiasts, fret not! You can make this bacon sriracha potato salad with sweet spuds too!
I make my Chipotle Potato Salad with them and it’s AWESOME!
Looking for more crazy bold flavor combos? Try my Buffalo Chicken Taco Salads on for size! They’re a tad legendary.
hungry for more?
- Buffalo Chickpea Veggie Burgers
- Cheesy Garlic Parmesan Spinach Spaghetti Squash
- Blueberry Broccoli Spinach Salad with Poppyseed Ranch
- Homestyle Macaroni Salad
- Tortellini Pasta Salad
:: recipe gallery ::
Always free; always delicious.