These easy everything bagel biscuits have a crunchy, flavorful, everything bagel outside with a light, fluffy, and flaky inside!
aka what happens when you want a homemade everything bagel but…
These fluffy homemade biscuits need only 10 minutes of prep work and are absolute perfection after about 13 minutes in the oven. Thirteen! I absolutely have time for that!
Slather them with fresh butter or my semi-homemade basil butter and prepare to swoon! They’re great for a fancy brunch or as part of a lazy Sunday breakfast.
On the go? Slap a microwaved egg and a slice of cheese on them and take it with you!
Quick + Easy Everything Bagel Biscuits
Everything Bagel Biscuits
Yield 6 large biscuits
- 2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1 TBSP baking powder
- 1/4-1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter
- 1 cup cold buttermilk, milk, or almond/coconut milk
- 1 tsp of unsalted butter, melted
- 1 TBSP everything seasoning blend [like this one]
- modified from my fluffy buttermilk biscuits adapted via allrecipes
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, garlic powder, and salt.
- Cut cold butter into the flour mixture using a pastry cutter, or do what I do and use a box grater to grate butter into the bowl and mash into the flour with a fork.
- Slowly pour in your choice of milk while fork-mixing the buttery flour into dough.
- Once all the milk has been added the dough will be a little on the dry side.
- Knead the dough a few times to evenly distribute the moisture and, if still seriously dry after kneading, feel free to add an extra tablespoon of milk to the bowl. If it's more on the sticky side, add a light sprinkle of flour before kneading. I typically knead my dough for about 8-10 strokes on a lightly floured surface and then immediately stop manhandling it. Over-kneading can toughen the dough.
- Using your hands, flatten the dough onto a lightly floured surface until about 1 inch thick.
- Use a 2.5 or 3" biscuit cutter to cut out approximately 6 biscuits.Melt a tablespoon of butter and mix in your everything seasoning blend.
- If you're using a pre-made blend, [this] bagel spice blend is absolutely fantastic! If you have the ingredients handy to make your own, go for it! A typical everything blend will usually consist of equal parts dehydrated garlic, dehydrated onion, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, and salt. Pretty basic, right? Whether you use a blend or make your own, you'll have delicious results and endless possibilities for seasoning breads, crackers, and everything in sight!
- Let's get back on track!
- Brush your melted butter and everything blend over each biscuit.
- Lay flat, spaced, on an un-greased, nonstick baking pan and bake for 13-15 minutes at 425 F until the edges begin to turn golden for crusty outside and a warm, fluffy center; yum!
so… how were they!? They were EVERYTHING I could have wanted in a biscuit and more! Hah!
Seriously though, they were fluffy, buttery, and full of flavor! I didn’t get the chance to show you the easy cheesy breakfast sandwiches we made out of them because the entire tray was gone within seconds of me snapping a few token photos. They were divine.
So next time a craving strikes and you need to get your everything bagel on, take comfort in the fact that you can get your everything bagel-esque fix in way less time that it would take to drive to your nearest bakery.
Especially in my case, since the nearest acceptable bagel joint is hours away. HOURS! Gah!!!
I love this tasty at-home option and hope you do too! Enjoy!