Occasionally Pauliandro the Pilot [let’s hope he’s not reading this one] will have a late flight and get a little mid day crew rest to spend with the chickpea and I. It’s the best! Since night flights always mean that he’ll be flying his big, nasty helicopter instead of eating dinner, I typically overcompensate by whipping up something uber indulgent for lunch.
Today was a prime example of this. He wanted sausage and peppers. I wanted a swimming pool filled with melted cheese. We compromised:
Hellooo most glorious grilled cheese of my life!
Seriously, is that not the best compromise ever? I can’t handle the amazingness that is this sandwich. I want to marry it.
Yes, MARRY it.
Anywho! So you know how I love to refer to many of my recipes as a “clean out your crisper drawer” sort of ordeal? Well the day you’ve been waiting for has come: let’s clean out the cheese drawer! Just grab it all and meet me in the kitchen!
Sausage and Pepper Chipotle Grilled Cheese
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 3 hot Italian sausages
- 1/4-1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/4-1/2 orange bell pepper, sliced
- 1/4-1/2 small white or yellow onion, sliced thin
- 2-4 ounces coarsely grated gouda
- 2-4 ounces coarsely grated chipotle cheddar I used [Cabot ]
- a few slices of your favorite melty deli cheese [American, Muenster, Gruyere etc...]
- 4 slices of your favorite bread [rye for me!]
- 1-2 TBSP butter
- parsley, to taste
- First grab your sausage.
- Once you stop snickering, cook them any way you choose! I typically boil them for several minutes so they're cooked enough to slice, then saute the slices along with my peppers and onion. All the flavors mingle and some serious magic happens in that pan!
- Grate your cheeses and season with a few sprinkles of parsley, if desired.
- Next heat a pan with half the butter on medium-high heat, add your bread and a small pile of grated cheese and top with a slice of deli cheese. Since melted cheese does a stand-up job of holding together a sandwich, I add cheese to the bread, then pile on the sausage, peppers and onion, then top it with even more grated and sliced cheese. Just pack it all in. You'll thank me later when you're face-first in ooey gooey amazingness.
- Use a spatula to flip the grilled cheese, adding the rest of the butter to the pan to coat the virgin bread. I've also seen friends simply heavily butter both slices of bread before proceeding and it works just as well. Whatever your method of choice, just go with it!
brontosaurus chefs: skip the sausage; add mushrooms. YUM!
vegansaurus chefs: I’ve got your back! Make [this] instead!
so… how was it?!
Whenever bloggers say this I totally cringe but… this was seriously the best grilled cheese of my life!!! Hands down, no contest: the best!
I have this habit, when I’m really digging what I’m eating, of eating super-fast so I can steal some of Paul’s. He unfortunately is hyper-aware of this habit and BOOKED IT after his first bite. I think I heard him muttering “my precious” as he sat on the floor in the corner of the living room with his sandwich. Issues? We have a life-time subscription! Make the sandwich.