This quick and easy cilantro lime slaw is our favorite topping for shrimp tacos, fish tacos, veggie burgers and more!
This post is 5 million years overdue.
Ok so maybe I’m a tad dramatic… but still! When I first blogged this slaw as part of my Spicy Sriracha Shrimp Tacos a few years ago, I vowed I’d give it it’s own stand-alone post someday.
Welllll 4 years later I’m finally here to make good on that promise.
Cilantro Lime Slaw for everyone!!!
What’s in it?
You’ll only need a few ingredients to whip up this tasty topping:
- finely shredded cabbage
- jalapeño pepper
- apple cider vinegar
- a lime for juicing
- fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
For the cabbage you can use green cabbage, red cabbage, or a combination of both. I’m partial to color so I love using both whenever I can have the chance.
There is NO MAYO in this fresh cilantro lime slaw and honestly, it doesn’t need it! The light and zippy dressing is oh so fantastic and compliments a variety of dishes.
Special Diets and Swaps
Apple cider vinegar is my favorite for this slaw, but in a pinch you can also use white wine vinegar or red wine vinegar – simply adjust to taste.
As for the honey, you can make the slaw vegan friendly by adding a little sugar in it’s place (just start small and season to taste here) or try it with a little agave syrup.
The jalapeño controls the heat. You can remove the seeds/veins before chopping/slicing your pepper for a milder option or leave them in for a super spicy slaw.
Looking for something in the middle? Remove the seeds and then add in as much or as little as you’d like.
Speedy Cilantro Lime Slaw
This scrumptious slaw is fresh, flavorful, and delivers the most perfect texture and zing to everything you add it to!
I also love this healthy slaw on salmon burgers, shrimp burgers, burrito bowls, and taco salads too. It’s such a great way to add extra flavor and amazing texture.
Cilantro Lime Slaw
- 1.5 cups finely shredded cabbage (green, red, or a combination of both)
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 1-2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 1 TBSP honey
- ½ lime , juiced (plus extra to taste)
- ⅛ tsp salt plus any extra to taste
- fresh chopped cilantro leaves (as much as you'd like!)
- Shred and measure cabbage. I love using a combination or green and red cabbage when I have both handy but using all green or all red works too! The thinner you can slice/shave it the better it will be for topping. This can be done with a chefs knife, a box grater, or even a mandolin.
- Remove the stem from the jalapeño and cut in half. Scoop out the seeds and insides from the jalapeño with a spoon for a milder slaw or add some of the seeds back in for a spicier slaw. Finely mince or slice the pepper and combine with the slaw in a medium/small bowl.
- Start with 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar and the juice of half a lime. Season with salt, sweeten slightly with honey, and add your chopped cilantro leaves.
- Mix well and let it sit for a few minutes. Taste the slaw and add extra of any of the ingredients to taste. I like to add extra cilantro to mine!
- The jalapeño and its seeds will control the heat, honey will control the sweetness, and vinegar/lime juice will control the tartness of the slaw. If you every go overboard with any one particular add-in, extra shredded cabbage can be added to even it out so don't fret and have fun with it!
- Allow the slaw to sit and marinate while you prep your tacos and load them up with as much slaw as your heart desires. Enjoy!
- 3 cups shredded cabbage (green, red, or a mix of both)
- 2 jalapeño peppers (adjust for desired spiciness)
- 2 TBSP apple cider vinegar (plus any extra to taste)
- 2 TBSP honey, or to taste
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 tsp salt, plus extra to taste
- fresh chopped cilantro – as mush as you’d like!
If you get a chance to try this speedy cilantro lime slaw recipe, let me know!
Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation. I can’t wait to see what you pair it with!