Looking for a side dish for dinner? Whip up this Parmesan-kissed Lemon Orzo with kale and cherry tomatoes. It’s fresh and flavorful!
This quick cooking rice-shaped pasta is easily one of my favorites.
When I found myself with lots of extra kale and cherry tomatoes to use up, I knew a tasty little orzo dish was the way to go!
Tossing this pint-sized pasta with fresh veggies in a speedy lemon parmesan sauce was nothing sort of magical. I can’t wait for you to try it!
serving suggestions for this tasty orzo side dish
You can also serve it straight-up as a stand alone pasta dish that’s full of flavor!
Easy Lemon Orzo with Parmesan, Kale, and Cherry Tomatoes
Serving a crowd? Feel free to double the recipe if needed. You can also easily have the recipe if serving as a side dish for two. It’s super versatile and oh so tasty!
Have some left over? That’s cause for celebration! This dish reheats marvelously so feel free to save some for later.
Lemon Orzo with Parmesan, Kale, and Cherry Tomatoes
- 1.5 cups dry orzo pasta
- 1/2 tsp oil
- 1 shallot
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 lemon , juiced
- 3 TBSP unsalted butter
- 1.5 oz freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups kale , cleaned and chopped
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth or chicken broth
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add orzo and cook until al dente, approx 7-9 minutes. Drain orzo in a wire-mesh strainer and set aside.
- While orzo cooks chop kale, halve or quarter cherry tomatoes, and mince shallot.
- Next heat a pan to medium heat with ½ teaspoon olive oil. Add minced shallot to hot pan and stir often until tender, approx. 4-6 minutes.
- Season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper (to taste) and add lemon juice and broth.
- Add orzo and kale and mix well until kale has wilted and some of the liquid has been absorbed into the pasta. Stir in tomatoes, Parmesan and butter, then season with a pinch of salt and pepper, to taste.
- Optional: serve with lemon wedges to add an extra burst of citrus flavor, if you'd like! Enjoy!
If you get a chance to try this easy peasy lemon orzo recipe, let me know!
Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!
oodles of orzo recipes
Around here we have a wee bit of an orzo obsession.
Looking for more ideas for your box of orzo pasta? Try these!