This Red Lentil Curry Soup swirled with coconut milk and topped with cilantro for a cozy and comforting soup that’s full of flavor! Instant Pot and stove top instructions.
This warm, fragrant, comforting soup has a curried vegetarian chili vibe that we just can’t get enough of!
You can mellow the heat by using mild chili powder and skipping the chili garlic sauce, or embrace the fire by adding extra chili sauce on top.
I think it goes without saying that I like mine deliciously spicy.
If you like spice, you’ll for sure want to pick up a jar of chili garlic sauce from the International Foods aisle of your grocery store.
It’s similar to Sriracha in heat (and you can certainly interchange them in this recipe if desired) but is more deconstructed and saucy. This chili sauce is hot and garlicky with a kiss of vinegar to brighten things up.
I added some to the base recipe of the recipe as well as a hearty drizzle on top, then cooled things down with a burst of refreshing lime juice and creamy coconut milk.
Seriously I’m in love!
Red Lentil Curry Soup
This scrumptious soup is great for meal prep since it’s fantastic the next few days and freezer-friendly too. Simply store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer!
As written, it’s vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, and so. flipping. tasty.
Red Lentil Curry Soup
- 1 TBSP avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 TBSP fresh ginger (peeled and grated)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup split red lentils (like bob’s red mill brand)
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 14.5 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1 TBSP red curry paste
- 1/2 TBSP chili garlic sauce plus extra to taste
- 1 TBSP curry powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 13.5 oz canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 lime cut in half
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
Instant Pot Instructions
- Set Instant Pot to "Sauté" and heat up 1 TBSP oil. Add onion, garlic, ginger, and bell pepper. Sauté for 3 min then select cancel to turn IP off.
- Add lentils, broth, crushed tomatoes, curry paste, chili garlic sauce, garam masala, curry powder, and salt.
- Check to make sure the valve is in sealed position and lock the lid. Set Instant Pot to MANUAL and cook on HIGH for 5 min.
- Once it beeps, quick release the presure by switching the valve to venting postion and stand back as steam releases. Once pressure has been released, safely remove the lid.
- Add juice from 1/2 a lime and stir. For an ultra creamy soup, feel free to add all the coconut milk to the soup or for a less creamy, chunkier soup, simply drizzle a little coconut milk over each bowl before serving. Season with any additional salt or spices if desired and serve with extra lime wedges for serving.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and add some extra chili garlic sauce if you like things spicy. Enjoy!
Stove Top Instructions
- Heat 1 TBSP oil in a large saucepan or pot over medium-high heat. Sauté onion and bell pepper until tender and golden, approx. 8 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, curry paste, chili garlic sauce, garam masala, curry powder, and salt. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring often, until fragrant.
- Next add lentils, broth, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer gently, stirring occasionally. Cook until lentils are soft but not mushy, approx. 20-25 minutes. Add any adtional seasoning/spices desired.
- Add juice from 1/2 a lime and stir. For an ultra creamy soup, feel free to add all the coconut milk to the soup or for a less creamy, chunkier soup, simply drizzle a little coconut milk over each bowl before serving. Garnish with fresh cilantro, and add some extra chili garlic sauce if you like things spicy. Serve with additional lime wedges. Enjoy!
If you get a chance to try this red lentil curry soup recipe, let me know!
Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!
looking for more lentil recipes?
Rocking over 160+ rave reviews, my Vegetarian Lentil Tortilla Soup is a crowd favorite, and for good reason too!
For a side dish that doubles as a vegetarian main course, check out my Crock-Pot Madras Lentils recipe. It’s filling, flavorful, and oh so easy to make.