These Instant Pot Lentil Tacos are quick and easy to make! Whether you serve them mild or spicy (yes please!) they’re sure to rock your weeknight dinner routine and even taste great the next day!
Freeze leftover filling or pop it in the fridge to use in tacos, quesadillas, burritos, and more!
These Instant Pot Lentil Tacos have been rocking our world this week!
I’ve been making stove top lentil tacos for my family for ages now, but the fact that I can just toss lentils and a few extra ingredients in the pressure cooker and have a flavorful taco filling with hardly any effort… hello game-changer!
I don’t have to babysit the pot and can completely walk away or spend the lentil’s speedy cook time prepping my tortillas and taco toppings.
No Instant Pot? No problem! Try my recipe for Vegetarian Lentil Tacos which are made in a pot on the stove. You could also make these IP lentils the conventional way by first cooking/boiling your lentils and then seasoning them after draining.
what tortillas should I use for lentil tacos?
Since these Instant Pot lentils are hearty and saucy, plain soft corn tortillas will need a little reinforcement to stay together. You can double up on tortillas or simply use one and sear it first in a hot pain with a spritz of oil. The pan-fried tortillas will be much sturdier and are the option I used for the tacos in the photos.
Craving a crunch? You can 100% use hard crunchy taco shells for these lentil tacos. In fact, I do this for my Chipotle Lentil Tacos and love the combo! The tender lentils pair perfectly the crispity crunch of the tortillas.
As for flour tortillas, they work excellent as well! Warm them up in the microwave or on a skillet and fill them to the brim with your lentils and toppings.
tasty taco toppings
There are so many amazing topping options for these lentil tacos. Choose your favorites or set out a bunch so everyone can build their own taco.
If your vegetarian, feel free to add some cheese and sour cream or keep it vegan with the tasty toppings below!
Easy Instant Pot Lentil Tacos
The lentil taco filling can be made in advance for an easy weeknight taco night or a party/potluck with friends. Not only is it make-ahead, but the taco filling can even be frozen for later! They’re great right away and fantastically flavorful the next day.
While these saucy lentils are great as tacos, you can also use them as a filling for quesadillas, burritos, and more! I even made a lentil crunch-wrap the other day and it was so tasty I ate it straight out of the skillet like an animal.
Instant Pot Lentil Tacos
- corn or flour tortillas (crunchy or soft)
- pico de gallo
- shredded lettuce
- fresh chopped cilantro
- sliced avocado
- sliced jalapeño
- hot sauce or salsa
- sour cream or Greek yogurt (skip if vegan)
- Add lentils, onion, broth, water, salsa, and spices to your Instant Pot, saving the enchilada sauce for the very end after cooking (to prevent mixture from being to thick/sticking).
- Give the ingredients a little stir to combine and lock the lid. Ensure the valve is set to sealed position and set to manual (high pressure) for 15 minutes.
- It should take the IP 5-10 minutes to come to pressure, followed by the 15 minutes active cooking time. While you wait, you can either sit back and let your IP do all the work or prep your tortillas and taco toppings.
- When the lentils have finished cooking the timer will beep. Carefully switch the sealed valve to venting and step back as the steam releases for a "quick release."
- When the pin has dropped, safely remove the lid and stir in enchilada sauce. Give the filing a little taste and add any extra seasoning/spice your heart desires. They're totally customizable and can be made as spicy or as mild as you'd like.
- Spoon filling into your choice of tortillas and top with all your favorite vegan or vegetarian taco toppings!
Lentil recipe adapted from Tastes Better From Scratch
If you get a chance to try these tasty vegetarian Instant Pot lentil tacos, let me know!
Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!