These crispy Buffalo Tofu Bites make a fun appetizer or snack, perfect for sharing with friends or to scarf on game day while you watch your favorite football team!
My love for all things Buffalo knows no bounds!
Buffalo sauce is so crazy versatile it can be used on beans, shrimp, chicken, veggies, and now… TOFU!
Cue cayenne pepper shaped confetti.
MAN this recipe was fun to create!
While testing this recipe I had quite a few batches of Buffalo Tofu to eat! I wound up snacking on quite a bit while photographing the recipe (def a perk of the job!) and saved the rest for later.
I was excited to find that they actually reheated pretty well! The following day, I spread leftover Buffalo Bites on a parchment paper line baking sheet and baked at 375 degrees F for about 15 minutes until nice and hot. Before serving, I tossed them in a little more buffalo sauce (when you cook them with the sauce they soak quite a bit up) and dove in face-first.
At some point during recipe testing I even tried dipping the plain crispy salt and pepper pan-fried tofu in buffalo sauce and called it a day. It’s really quite a fun recipe to snack on both ways!
BUFFALO TOFU BITES
Serve these baller buffalo tofu bites with crunchy celery sticks and your favorite Ranch for dipping! You can use your go-to homemade ranch or simply grab a store-bought brand that rocks your socks.
Looking for a homemade dairy-free Ranch dressing? This speedy Ranch Dressing is one of my favorites!
Buffalo Tofu Bites
- Advance prep: Drain and remove tofu from package. Slice the block of tofu into two 1/2 inch thin planks and place on a stack of 4-5 folded paper towels, placing an additional stack of paper towels on top. Set something heavyish on top (I use a cast iron skillet) to make a make-shift tofu press for water removal. Allow to sit. I usually start my tofu about 30 minutes before I want to start cooking.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut each tofu plank into 8 bite-sized cubes, for 16 pieces total.
- Mix cornstarch with garlic powder, cayenne, salt and pepper. Sprinkle over the tofu and gently toss until evenly coated and no powdery spots remain.
- Bring a pan or cast iron skillet to medium-high heat, then add 2 TBSP oil once hot. Tilt and swirl pan so oil is evenly distributed.
- Once the oil has evenly heated, add your tofu, spaced, so that no sides touch. Let the first side sear for about 6 minutes so a nice even crust forms. You can shake the pan occasionally so they don't stick but keep them on the first side. Once perfectly golden, flip each tofu nugget to the other side and sear for about 4-5 minutes. Remove from pan and allow to drain on a paper towel.
- While the tofu is cooking, mix together melted butter and hot sauce (I always use Frank's - my favorite!) and whisk well.
- In a medium bowl combine crispy tofu with 3/4 of the buffalo sauce and toss gently to coat.
- Transfer to a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake the tofu for 15-20 minutes, flipping tofu halfway to crisp both sides.
- Toss tofu in remaining buffalo sauce and dive in right away! Serve with celery sticks and homemade or store-bought ranch dressing for dunking.
Buffalo Sauce FTW! If you get a chance to try these tasty buffalo tofu bites, let me know! Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation!
hungry for more?
- Buffalo Shrimp Lettuce Wrap Tacos
- Buffalo Ranch Football Cheese Ball
- Buffalo Shrimp Spaghetti Squash with Paleo Ranch Dressing