This Instant Pot Breakfast Casserole is basically the deep-dish crust-less quiche of my dreams! Serve it up for breakfast, brunch, or brinner and feel free to make it in advance – it’s great the following day!
This baller breakfast casserole is basically the big brother of my easy peasy instant pot frittata recipe.
We quickly found that the skinny mini frittata we were making was pretty much 2 servings for my hungry husband and I. We’d scarf the entire thing for breakfast in the morning! This bigger serving means we actually get an easy peasy heat-and-eat breakfast the following morning.
Amidst getting ready for school, work, and gym in the morning, easy is exactly what this exhausted momma needs.
Luckily this Instant Pot Breakfast Casserole tastes AMAZING warmed up the following day!
I’ve bene making it as part of my weekly meal prep at the start of the week (usually after school while the nugget does her homework) and hellooooo lifesaver!
The fact that I can just pop it all in the pressure cooker and walk away makes me giddy.
The more recipes I can either make in advance or whip up in my slow cooker + pressure cooker, the smoother our meal prep goes for the week and the less frantic “I don’t know let’s just go out to eat!” moments we have here.
Aka my pants fit a little better and my stomach is way happier.
Ok enough rambling! Let’s get our recipe on!
Instant Pot Breakfast Casserole
Instant Pot Breakfast Casserole
This Instant Pot Breakfast Casserole is basically the deep-dish crust-less quiche of my dreams! Serve it up for breakfast, brunch, or brinner and feel free to make it in advance - it's great the following day!
- 9 large eggs
- 1/3 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup minced yellow onion
- 3/4-1 cup chopped spinach
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp salt plus extra to taste
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup water
- Spray your dish very well with cooking spray (avocado oil spray is my favorite). You can also rub the entire pan with butter if you prefer - just make sure to make that bad boy stick proof or you’ll be eating scrambled eggs for breakfast instead, lol! Cut a circle of parchment paper to line the bottom of the dish for extra easy removal. <-- I do this and love it!
- Crack eggs into a large bowl, chop your veggies, and measure out all your ingredients.
- Use an egg beater or whisk to whip your eggs until yolks and whites are fully incorporated. Next whisk in heavy cream. Season with salt and pepper and add your cheese. Set aside.
- Turn your Instant Pot on to sauté function and heat 1 tsp oil. Sauté onion and pepper until tender, adding garlic and spinach at the very end. Cook for an additional 30-60 seconds then scoop out the mixture and add to your prepared baking dish. Turn IP off.
- Give the insert a quick wipe with a paper towel on the inside to remove any stubborn veggie bits left behind, then return to your IP and add 1 cup water. Top with a handled trivet (I use the one my IP came with!) and, if yours does not have handles, feel free to make a makeshift handle/sling with folded aluminum foil.
- Whisk again to mix, then pour egg mixture into your baking dish. Place on top of trivet and lock the lid.
- Set to 30 minutes high pressure and make sure vent is in the sealed position.
- Once it beeps, allow a natural pressure release for 10 minutes before unlocking the lid.
- Open the lid, patting the top of the casserole dry with a paper towel as needed. Run a knife along the side to release, allow to cool slightly (it will shrink away from the sides as it cools), then turn it over onto a plate or serve it straight from the bowl by cutting and removing slices with a pie server.
- If desired, you can add toppings like I did! I love mine with sour cream, chives, and an extra sprinkle of cheese on top.
If you add thick veggies like potatoes, sweet potatoes, or broccoli the cook time may increase a bit to ensure the veggies cook through. I'll try to test them out next time we make this so I can relay the info!
If you get a chance to try this easy peasy Instant Pot breakfast casserole, let me know! Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation!