Loaded Potato Soup with Cheesy Tots has both vegetarian and t-rex versions that are sure to rock your socks! There’s something crazy legendary about the cheesy tater tot topping here and I can’t wait for y’all to try it!
Some days I make it rain salads.
Other days I whip up a big ole bowl of cheesy potato soup and top it with crispy baked tater tots smothered in cheddar.
Guess what day it is?
The only way this could have been more perfect is if I had the foresight to time the release this recipe with National Tater Tot Day, which is absolutely a thing and as awesome as it is ridiculous. Sadly I missed it by a few months. This insane holiday takes place on Feb 2nd if you plan on channeling your inner Napoleon Dynamite and totting it up next year. Of course we don’t need a bogus food holiday in order to get our hands on some tots, do we?
Grab some tots and meet me in the kitchen!
I didn’t doubt for a moment that I would fall gloriously in love with this soup but I think I underestimated just how much of a game changer crispy tots on top of soup would be.
It opened up a whole new world of soup topping shenanigans. Unconventional soup toppers are kiiiind of a thing around here, with hall of fame inductees including crispy garlic parmesan chickpeas, melty mozzarella balls, and toasty garlic bread croutons. I’m also a big fan of topping soup with pumpkin seeds, copious amounts of crushed red pepper flakes, and green onions galore.
My superpower is making sure you never again eat a bowl of boring soup.
Pretend that’s a thing.
Loaded Potato Soup with Cheesy Tots
So I mentioned earlier that there’s a vegetarian and t-rex version of this soup! It’s as simple as a swap of toppings and choice of broth! Omnivores are free to use chicken broth and bacon as a topping while my veggie friends can simply use vegetable broth and vegan bacon bits (aka conventional bacon bits – who knew?!) – Both versions are crazy easy and full of flavor!
LET’S DO THIS!
Loaded Potato Soup with Cheesy Tots
Loaded Potato Soup with Cheesy Tots... OMG YES! There's something crazy legendary about the cheesy tater tot topping here and I can't wait for y'all to try it!
- 3 cups frozen Tater Tots
- 2 lbs russet potatoes (Yukon gold will work too)
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, diced (approx. 1 + 1/2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 3 slices bacon cooked until crispy, or 2-3 TBSP veggie bacon bits
- extra cheddar cheese
- fresh chives or scallions
- sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- crispy baked tater tots see above
- Pre-heat oven to 425 F.
- Spread your tots on a baking sheet (I like to line mine with parchment paper) and bake until crips, about 20 minutes. For extra crispy tots you can shake the pan at the 10 minute mark to move them around a bit, totally optional. When they're hot and ready, add 1 cup of cheddar cheese on top and return to the oven for an additional 4-5 minutes to melt.
- While your oven crisps the tots, wash, peel, and dice your potatoes and grate your cheeses. Freshly grated cheese works best here. If you haven't yet, measure out all your ingredients and set them aside.
- Heat the butter in a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté until tender. Once softened, add your garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- Next add your potatoes and broth. Bring to a boi then reduce heat to simmer once boiling. Cover and cook until potatoes are tender, 10-12 minutes.
- If you're using fresh bacon here (skip for the veggie version) cook in a skillet on med-high heat unit crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- Remove soup from heat, and puree the soup with an immersion blender. Alternatively you may allow the soup to cool a bit and puree in batches using a blender or food processor. In a pinch grab a potato masher and a whisk for an extra chunky potato soup! An additional 1/4 cup of broth (or milk) may be added to thin the soup as desired, but I love mine thick!
- At this point feel free to add any additional salt and pepper you desire. Add half the chives and stir in half the sour cream, remaining 1 cup of cheddar cheese, and parmesan cheese until melted.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with cheesy tots, bacon of choice, chopped chives, remaining sour cream, and any extras your heart desires! Enjoy! This soup is great the first day and stellar the next, so feel free to save yourself a bowl for lunch tomorrow!
Freshly grated cheese works best here, as pre-shredded cheese are coated and don't melt well in soup.
I didn't add dill here but it's a common (and tasty!) spice to add to potato soup. If you're a fan and want to amp up the flavors, feel free to add some! Crushed red pepper flakes also make a fun (spicy) addition to the soup if you'd like.
Since much of the cooking is done all at the the same time (and much of the prep work can be done during the cooking parts) - this soup can come together in about 40 minutes! The soup itself is also amazing the next day or two, so it makes a great make-ahead or meal-prep option for those of you planning for the week. SCORE!
“NAPOLEON, GIVE ME SOME OF YOUR TOTS!”
If you get a chance to try this tater tot topped loaded potato soup, let me know! Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation.
The soup itself is also amazing the next day or two, so it makes a great make-ahead or meal-prep option for those of you planning for the week. SCORE!
behind the blog
- currently listening to . . . Hey Now – Matt and Kim
- currently reading . . . Nada! Help me choose my next book!
- currently watching . . . Paul and I are about to start Better Call Saul season 3. So stoked!
- currently crushing on . . . Kale salads. I’ve made no less than 4 this week and regret nothing.