This healthy one-pot chicken and vegetable soup is an easy weeknight dinner! Great for meal-prep + even better the next day!
This time of year I’m all about some chunky veggie soup!
This cozy, comforting soup is a warm hug in a bowl.
Ooh! And because we all need more easy one-pot recipes in our lives, all you’ll need to make this tasty chicken and veggie soup is a dutch oven (or any large pot really) and you’re good to go!
No juggling multiple pots and pans on the stove top and even better? You’ll totally have leftovers to squirrel away for a busy day. JACKPOT!
You can even channel some make-ahead magic and add this to your meal prep list.This soup freezes beautifully and can also be portioned out in the fridge for grab-and-go heat-and-eat lunches for the week.
Paul and I divided this delish soup into single-serve pyrex oven and microwave safe storage bowls (you can snag some here) and faceplanted into the leftovers for lunch all week. Pair it with a salad one day, a melty grilled cheese sandwich the next, or enjoy it all on it’s own!
One-Pot Chicken and Vegetable Soup
The leftovers are SO STINKIN’ GOOD the next day. I know some of y’all aren’t super keen on leftovers but MAN are they amazing! I think I’m going to make a double batch next week to stock the freezer.
It has all the comfort and flavor of chicken soup but with a smorgasbord of veggies in place of traditional noodles. Love it so.
One-Pot Chicken and Vegetable Soup
This one-pot chicken and vegetable soup is a weeknight winner in our house and great for meal-prep since it's magically even better the next day!
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter
- 3 strips of scallions (white and green portions chopped + separated)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1-2 carrots, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste (see notes)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1 15 oz can cannellini beans, drained/rinsed
- 1 cup corn kernels (canned or frozen)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken*
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- juice of 1 lime
- extra lime wedges to garnish
- a dollop of fresh sour cream
- grated Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack Cheese
- fresh chopped basil
- crushed corn chips tortilla or fritos are great
- Grab a dutch oven or a large pot and heat to medium-high.
- Melt your butter until frothy then add the white portion of your scallions (save the green for later), celery, carrot, and bell pepper. Sauté until tender.
- Add corn, garlic, salt and pepper (start with 1/2 tsp, add more to taste later) oregano, and cumin. Stir well and continue to cook for an additional minute.
- Add broth, beans, and corn and bring to a simmer, then add your cooked shredded chicken and scallion greens.
- Cover and simmer for an additional 10 minutes (may simmer longer if you prefer veggies to soften even further) and season with any additional salt + pepper, to taste.
- Uncover, add spinach and lime juice, and stir.
- Once spinach has wilted serve with your choice of toppings. Enjoy some today and squirrel some away for tomorrow - the leftovers ROCK!
* This would also be a great use of any leftover chicken you may have from meal-prep for the week.
I'll frequently roast a whole chicken at the start of the week for salads, soups, and sandwiches, or make a few split chicken breasts (or thighs) in my Instant Pot. So easy and a total lifesaver for throwing together healthy meals during a busy week!
Nutrition Facts below are estimated using an online recipe nutrition calculator. Adjust as needed and enjoy!
special diets and swaps
- CRAVING CARBS? you can 100% add noodles to the mix if you’d like! I personally realllly love dunking grilled cheese in this bad boy. #obsessed
- BRONTOSAURUS CHEFS – give this soup a vegetarian or vegan spin by using veggie broth and swapping the chicken for pasta or extra veggies. I also have a vegan + super tasty vegetarian minestrone soup recipe you can try if you’d like!
As written, this recipe is gluten-free and easily added to your paleo or Whole30 meal rotation by nixing the beans, corn, and optional toppings.
hungry for more?
- Creamy Tomato Soup with Crispy Parmesan Chickpeas
- Healthy Baked Chicken Fingers
- Vegetarian Lentil Tortilla Soup (Instant-Pot + Slow Cooker)
- Matzo Ball Soup
If you get a chance to try this One-Pot Chicken and Vegetable Soup, let me know!
You can leave me a comment here (LOVE checking those daily!) or tag @PEASandCRAYONS #PEASANDCRAYONS on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creations! I can’t wait to see what you whip up!