Say hello to one of my all-time favorite sandwiches! We love these Cranberry Croissant Sandwiches like woah!
Sometimes, when it’s particularly sweltering outside, I crank the AC and pretend it’s fall. It isn’t until I’m curled up with a book, wearing my fuzziest of sweaters and sipping a scorching cup of coffee, that I realize I’m being totally and utterly ridiculous.
Sometimes the escape is nice. And the gorgeous sunshine makes it that much nicer! Sunny days like this just don’t exist in the Autumn and Winter months so a little pretending goes a long way.
Lately it’s my tastebuds that have been doing the pretending. Somewhere amidst the seemingly never ending bevvy of chilled salads and grilled veggie kebabs lies a crazy craving for spiced muffins, steamy chili, and winter squash.
Luckily I froze a boatload of butternut squash, a few soups, and my beloved crockpot cranberry sauce. I think it’s safe to say that most of you know what I whipped up with the cran-apple sauce upon defrosting? No? Here’s a hint:
Cranberry Croissant Sandwiches
I actually defrosted the sauce specifically for this sandwich after finding the fluffiest, flakiest, most amazing “everything” croissants at my local Harris Teeter bakery. Hello match made in heaven!
Cranberry Croissant Sandwiches
- 4 ounces regular or neufchatel cream cheese
- 4 TBSP leftover cranberry sauce
- 2-3 TBSP chopped baking walnuts [minced or left chunky!]
- 1 TBSP honey [use a little… or a lot!]
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- for the sandwich:
- 1 croissant
- 8 cucumber slices, or to taste
- 2 romaine lettuce leaves, torn
- 3-4 slices organic turkey (for t-rex option)
Here’s how to make this wildly addictive spread:
- Soften cream cheese to room temperature.
- Combine with a few heaping spoonfuls of leftover cranberry sauce.
- Next fold in chopped walnuts [optional, but beyond delicious!] and a sprinkle of ground cinnamon.
- Drizzle a tablespoon of honey into the mixture and stir. Simple and deeeeelicious.
- Rather not wait for the cream cheese to soften? Break out your food processor and whip the cream cheese, cinnamon and honey to perfection before adding your sauce. Then fold in the minced walnuts Just be sure to unplug the food processor before trying to lick it clean. You’re welcome.
- Serve this heavenly spread at room temperature with sliced green apple, whole grain crackers, and crunchy celery sticks. Or just go crazy and spread it on everything in sight.
To make the sandwich:
- Pile a fresh bakery croissant with the cinnamon walnut cranberry cream cheese spread above, then pile high with fresh sliced cucumbers, crisp lettuce, and anything else you'd like to throw into the mix! It's also phenomenal with oven-roasted sliced turkey breast. Whether you go veg or t-rex it up, this sandwich is positively amazing!
I also threw together some ridiculously yummy fall-spiced muffins for you, but that post and recipe will take me a teeny bit longer to write, so it’s not quite ready to kick off the week with. Trust me, it’s worth the wait.
I can’t be the only one with seasonally-challenged cravings right now, right?
Anyone else willing to fess up to their absurdities?
If you get a chance to try these cranberry croissant sandwiches (wouldn’t they make the ULTIMATE tea sandwiches!? LOVE!), let me know!
Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!